Houston Job Market

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SeekerOfTheTree

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Elder Gods,

Q again. So I have settled on Houston. I am thinking of signing with TeamHealth. I am just curious what are your experiences with them and what do you think about the market down there to sign with one of these CMGs?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Elder Gods,

Q again. So I have settled on Houston. I am thinking of signing with TeamHealth. I am just curious what are your experiences with them and what do you think about the market down there to sign with one of these CMGs?

Thanks!

If you want to settle in Houston and want to make money, do not sign a long term contract with anyone. You will bank more finding a part time home and doing locums. There are a zillion locums positions in Houston and the surrounding area where you will make alot more money without the headaches.

What way do you recommend I do this? I am in my last year of residency.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't sign with Teamhealth......they are a cancer

Reactions: 1 user
Not sure if there is much difference in CMGs. I would pick whoever is offering you the best $$$/hr. Work the minimum. Do locums the rest to make 2x rate.

Na, SDG in the midwest. Fortunate to live in an area where there are multiple SDGs to choose from.
I figured. It's not a viable model in any of the cities I've worked.

Don't sign with Teamhealth......they are a cancer
Not sure if there is much difference in CMGs. I would pick whoever is offering you the best $$$/hr. Work the minimum. Do locums the rest to make 2x rate.
TeamHealth is the worst of the worst, because they are beholden to shareholders, who make a corporation sociopathic.

TeamHealth is the worst of the worst, because they are beholden to shareholders, who make a corporation sociopathic.

Never thought of calling a corporation sociopathic, but this anthropomorphization actually makes a lot of sense. Maintain agency and self-interest but remove empathy and a duty to morality and you get...

Being a publically traded company does make it easier to find out financials and in this environment if you're not growing then you're going to get bought out or kicked out by someone that is. Very few doc groups can expand aggressively with just their operating profit, so if you're not publically traded you're going to be funneling your profits to the bank that loaned you the money or to the venture capitalist that has little to no interest in your long term financial viability if they can cash out their stake for a profit. Hospital systems are expanding aggressively and while it's hard for a nationwide CMG to staff 2 new shops off-cycle it's essentially impossible for an SDG. SDGs may hold on in places with stable populations that area affiliated with small hospital systems that aren't attractive for takeover as a boutique or niche market. Everyone else is going to be a CMG or hospital employee.

I agree that CMGs sucks. They have to make a profit and it has to come from somewhere. They are not getting kickbacks from the hospital. They either pay the docs less or leverage the insurance companies for better reimbursement.

SDGs are going to be the thing of the past. There are too many bedfellows with CMGs & Hospitals. They all hang out together and eventually a good contract will be given to a CMG. Thats right. Hospitals do not want to pay stipends. So how do you think they will get a bad hospital staffed? They give the CMG a bad contract along with a good contract.

So SDGs are stuck with all of the bad contracts.

So what can ED docs do? There is a shortage with ED docs so you should leverage the well known shortage.

I have been part of a SDG and CMG. There are good and bad to both. I can tell you I can make alot more money working for a CMG. I work the min with the CMG and then moonlight. In a SDG you are beholden to making the group successful. Thus, you will make less as billings go down. The only way to keep your pay stable is to work more. With a CMG, I can care less about billing.