Houston, TX area shadowing opportunities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tay_rechea

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I am new to SDN, I am a freshman in undergrad looking for shadowing opportunities. I live near a big city [Houston] so I don't know why I'm having such a hard time finding a doctor to shadow. It's just rejection after rejection. Any advice on how to get an approval from a doctor? Also, if anyone knows of a physician that allows shadowing in either a hospital or clinic around here would be very helpful. I am currently volunteering at a local hospital on the weekends and still nothing. Not sure if I'm asking the wrong doctors or approaching them wrong, but I'd really like to start my shadowing soon. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,
I am new to SDN, I am a freshman in undergrad looking for shadowing opportunities. I live near a big city [Houston] so I don't know why I'm having such a hard time finding a doctor to shadow. It's just rejection after rejection. Any advice on how to get an approval from a doctor? Also, if anyone knows of a physician that allows shadowing in either a hospital or clinic around here would be very helpful. I am currently volunteering at a local hospital on the weekends and still nothing. Not sure if I'm asking the wrong doctors or approaching them wrong, but I'd really like to start my shadowing soon. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Try the teaching hospitals such as the UT Health Science Center. Also try Texas Children's, I had two friends that were able to secure shadowing opportunities there.

Thank you so much! That's one of the hospitals I have not contacted yet. I am going to look into it on Monday. Would calling the human resource center be sufficient? Or would talking to them in person be more advisable?

I don't know if I should name drop, but I know of an ophthalmologist who is very welcoming to students.