General Admissions & OTCAS How about a unified 2018/2019 cycle "what are my chances"/"what can I do to improve?" thread?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OTconvert

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have seen a lot of individual "What are my chances?" or "how can I strengthen my application?" threads, but I think it would be fun to share the thread. I don't want to feel too self involved making a thread just about me. ;)

Good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I'll start:

Stats:

Undergrad University: New School University

Major: Liberal arts (writing/lit/cultural studies etc)

Overall GPA undergrad: 3.8

post-bacc: community colleges and UC extensions

type of classes: math/psych/science

post bacc GPA: 3.9

Pre-Req GPA: 4.0

GRE: 167 V, 153 Q, 5 AW

Extra-Curric/Work/non OT volunteer: nanny 7+ years, 150 hours information desk/patient transport/general volunteer at inner city hospital, 150 hours PT volunteering (inpatient and outpatient) inner city hospital, research at University/Major local hospital rehab department into brain injury, co-author of paper which is in revisions. Planning to volunteer at women's shelter soon.

OT Volunteer:

80 hours pediatric OT outpatient. In the works: special needs school (with the OT), inpatient OT at major hospital in the region.

specific questions:
Is it going to look weird that I have so many PT hours? What if I get even more PT hours? (still considering PT... I know I know, they are very different, just pick one, etc)

Also, is my focus on pediatrics an up or downside? I can diversify my volunteering a bit (I'm trying), but does having a focus make you look like you have a narrow point of view, or just that you know what you want to do? FYI: I have a nannying background which I think sounds more relevant when I focus on peds, but I don't know if that makes a difference.

I'll start:

Stats:

Extra-Curric/Work/non OT volunteer: nanny 7+ years, 150 hours information desk/patient transport/general volunteer at inner city hospital, 150 hours PT volunteering (inpatient and outpatient) inner city hospital, research at University/Major local hospital rehab department into brain injury, co-author of paper which is in revisions. Planning to volunteer at women's shelter soon.

OT Volunteer:

80 hours pediatric OT outpatient. In the works: special needs school (with the OT), inpatient OT at major hospital in the region.

specific questions:
Is it going to look weird that I have so many PT hours? What if I get even more PT hours? (still considering PT... I know I know, they are very different, just pick one, etc)

Also, is my focus on pediatrics an up or downside? I can diversify my volunteering a bit (I'm trying), but does having a focus make you look like you have a narrow point of view, or just that you know what you want to do? FYI: I have a nannying background which I think sounds more relevant when I focus on peds, but I don't know if that makes a difference.
Your stats are stellar. I know it's hard to know what the future holds but I honestly don't think you have anything to worry about. We see people with "low" stats get in all the time so your GPA and GRE are already setting you apart. Your PT hours shouldn't raise any eyebrows in my opinion. If anything it's going to be a good talking point for why you eventually did choose OT after seeing both fields (if you do go this route) and you'll have that aspect to mention in your statement which should help too. Just do your research on programs and choose ones that fit your stengths. My only recommendation for improving is to get another population such as geriatrics to show diversity but there's nothing wrong with knowing what population you want to work either either. Good luck :)

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'll start:

Stats:

OT Volunteer:

specific questions:

The PT hours are great and I am sure they gave you a chance to also observe OT and how the disciplines work together. I do think it will lead admissions boards to think that you chose OT second to PT. I would hold that off the application for OT if I were you. To me, I think it seems that you would rather do PT. If you applied to both and were excepted to both, would you still choose OT? Other than this, the stats are great!!

Hi! I have also been creeping around this site for about a year now to fully understand the OT application process, viewpoints, etc.! So I graduated from University in 3 years, and I have taken this extra year to take (and retake 2) prerequisites. It's a really nerve wracking process, especially since I took a year to wait and apply for programs, but I truly believe this "gap" year was used strategically for me.
I'll share some stats to see what you guys think:
Undergrad University: University of Houston
Major: B.S. Psychology Minor: Medicine and Society
Applying to: TWU, UTMB, TTech, ACU, University of Oklahoma Health Sciences, and UT El Paso!
Cumulative GPA: 3.7? Unsure because my post-bacc prerequisites are still incomplete.
PreReq GPA: Anywhere between 3.5-4.0 (depending on program retake policy)
GRE: Will take in early-mid June
Extra Curricular: Equestrian Therapy Volunteer, 50 hours CPR Certified, Certified Lifeguard
Observation (so far) 30 hours in pediatric home health, and 30 hours in sub-acute brain rehabilitation
Work/Professional Experience: I currently work for a Multipurpose Recreation Center for people with disabilities, which has given me so much great experience! (I work alongside Recreation therapists)

This thread is great! I've been waiting to see some more 2018-2019 applicants on here! A little of my back story: I began my undergrad in exercise science with intentions of pursuing OT. During my first semester I had to deal with some difficult events and my grades began to drop. I became unsure of what I wanted to do with my path so I changed my major to HCAM. After graduating and beginning my career in healthcare, I realized by working with OTs and other clinicians that becoming an OT was still in my heart. Here are my stats:

University: Slippery Rock University
Major: Healthcare Administration and Management
Minor: Business Marketing

Cumm GPA: 3.27
Last 60-credits: 3.71
Prerequisite GPA: In progress
GRE: 150 V 140 Q 4 AW;
- Taking again sometime soon. Math is not my strong suit.
- I need to pull it up 5 points, do people ever increase their scores that much?
Extracurricular: Future Healthcare Leaders, Adapted Physical Activity Club, American Marketing Association, and Intramural soccer.

Work Experience: Intern June 2013-May 2015 @ Home Health & Rehabilitation, Admin Assistant May 2016-Aug 2016 @ Adult Day Health Center, Volunteer Internship (360 Hrs) Aug 2016-Dec 2016 @ SNF, Health Information Coordinator @ Adult Day Health Center July 2017 - Current
- I have learned so much about the healthcare industry, HIPAA/documentation, about OT and how OTs work with all departments within an organization.

Observation/Volunteer: Pediatric Inpatient OT 10 hrs (obs), Adult Inpatient OT 50 hrs (volunteer), Pediatric Outpatient 20 hrs (obs)
- Planning to get more soon it is hard to work around a full time work schedule!
- I am torn between getting more hours as schools only look for 20-60. Is it really worth it to get 100's of hours when it does not set you apart from others if you all meet the requirement?

Plan to apply to SRU, Chatham, Gannon, D'Youville, Towson.

** I am concerned regarding my GPA and my undergraduate major. What do you guys think of my chances? How can I improve?

Thank you.

I pulled up my Q score by 5 points after 1 retake!

This is my SECOND time going through this application process and so far it’s been disappointing. Here are my stats:
University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
Major
: Human Development & Family Studies
GPA: last 60- 3.6, overall- 3.3
GRE: 149 V 155 Q 4.5 Writing
Prerequisite: 3.1-3.5 depending on school
Experience: PA at a transitional living center for students with disabilities in college (3 years), served on committee to improve program as well, inclusion aide at the Park district (2 summers), intern at the Autism Program supporting families and people with autism (1 semester), PA through the state (2 years), study abroad in Africa volunteering at home for people with severe disabilities (2 months), I returned to Africa the following year to aid someone in going on the trip with a disability, development supervisor at the development lab at my university (1 year).
Volunteer/Obversation: 100+ hours at a hospital (emergency room, maternal ward, and OT dept), Personal trainer for a man with a disability (1 semester), observed at center for people with severe disabilities in Africa (40+ hours), observed at pediatric ot office (10 hrs), observed at transitional living facility (10 hrs)
Other: CPR/AED certified
Applied: UIC, Rush, WashU, Wisconsin-Madison, Wisconsin-Milwaukee, Indiana State, Colorado State, North Central College
Rejections: UIC, Rush, WashU
Acceptances: none

I am not sure if there’s something i am doing differently than other applicants but I’m beginning to become discouraged. I retook A&P this year as well as the GRE for a higher score in all areas. It is very difficult for me to volunteer/observe as well as keep applying year after year because i am completely independent from my parents financially and struggle to uphold costs of living to continue doing this. I work a full time job and two part time jobs so volunteering my time is almost impossible.

Nonetheless, I'm curious what my chances are for my remaining schools- Wisconsin-Madison, Wisconsin-Milwaukee, Indiana State, Colorado State, North Central College

Last edited:
Hello fellow 2018-19 cycle applicants. I was told by OTCAS our application would open up in July, anyone hear or know anything different?

Hello fellow 2018-19 cycle applicants. I was told by OTCAS our application would open up in July, anyone hear or know anything different?
July is right!! I wish it opened earlier! July is when it opens but check the websites for the schools you are applying to sometimes they have specific dates that their apps open on OTCAS!

This is my SECOND time going through this application process and so far it’s been disappointing. Here are my stats:
University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
Major
: Human Development & Family Studies
GPA: last 60- 3.6, overall- 3.3
GRE: 149 V 155 Q 4.5 Writing
Prerequisite: 3.1-3.5 depending on school
Experience: PA at a transitional living center for students with disabilities in college (3 years), served on committee to improve program as well, inclusion aide at the Park district (2 summers), intern at the Autism Program supporting families and people with autism (1 semester), PA through the state (2 years), study abroad in Africa volunteering at home for people with severe disabilities (2 months), I returned to Africa the following year to aid someone in going on the trip with a disability, development supervisor at the development lab at my university (1 year).
Volunteer/Obversation: 100+ hours at a hospital (emergency room, maternal ward, and OT dept), Personal trainer for a man with a disability (1 semester), observed at center for people with severe disabilities in Africa (40+ hours), observed at pediatric ot office (10 hrs), observed at transitional living facility (10 hrs)
Other: CPR/AED certified
Applied: UIC, Rush, WashU, Wisconsin-Madison, Wisconsin-Milwaukee, Indiana State, Colorado State, North Central College
Rejections: UIC, Rush, WashU
Acceptances: none

I am not sure if there’s something i am doing differently than other applicants but I’m beginning to become discouraged. I retook A&P this year as well as the GRE for a higher score in all areas. It is very difficult for me to volunteer/observe as well as keep applying year after year because i am completely independent from my parents financially and struggle to uphold costs of living to continue doing this. I work a full time job and two part time jobs so volunteering my time is almost impossible.

Nonetheless, I'm curious what my chances are for my remaining schools- Wisconsin-Madison, Wisconsin-Milwaukee, Indiana State, Colorado State, North Central College
Our stats are quite similar! I am wondering if the lower prereq GPA is to blame for your last round? Its great you retook both A&P and the GRE! Congrats on the improvement! I think your professional & observation/volunteer experience is very impressive! My advice would be to possibly look at schools like Towson that focus on your last 60 credit GPA or do not require the GRE! Maybe try tweaking your personal statement as well if you think that could've been a factor?! Nonetheless, good luck!!! Second time is a charm!

Hi! I have also been creeping around this site for about a year now to fully understand the OT application process, viewpoints, etc.! So I graduated from University in 3 years, and I have taken this extra year to take (and retake 2) prerequisites. It's a really nerve wracking process, especially since I took a year to wait and apply for programs, but I truly believe this "gap" year was used strategically for me.
I'll share some stats to see what you guys think:
Undergrad University: University of Houston
Major: B.S. Psychology Minor: Medicine and Society
Applying to: TWU, UTMB, TTech, ACU, University of Oklahoma Health Sciences, and UT El Paso!
Cumulative GPA: 3.7? Unsure because my post-bacc prerequisites are still incomplete.
PreReq GPA: Anywhere between 3.5-4.0 (depending on program retake policy)
GRE: Will take in early-mid June
Extra Curricular: Equestrian Therapy Volunteer, 50 hours CPR Certified, Certified Lifeguard
Observation (so far) 30 hours in pediatric home health, and 30 hours in sub-acute brain rehabilitation
Work/Professional Experience: I currently work for a Multipurpose Recreation Center for people with disabilities, which has given me so much great experience! (I work alongside Recreation therapists)

Hi there! I am in the same place, I graduated in May 2017 but had to take this year to take prerequisites! I think your stats are great! Especially your GPA! I agree -- this process is very nerve wracking! I am so anxious about the verification process!

Thanks so much for your feedback! Best of luck
Our stats are quite similar! I am wondering if the lower prereq GPA is to blame for your last round? Its great you retook both A&P and the GRE! Congrats on the improvement! I think your professional & observation/volunteer experience is very impressive! My advice would be to possibly look at schools like Towson that focus on your last 60 credit GPA or do not require the GRE! Maybe try tweaking your personal statement as well if you think that could've been a factor?! Nonetheless, good luck!!! Second time is a charm!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi there! I am in the same place, I graduated in May 2017 but had to take this year to take prerequisites! I think your stats are great! Especially your GPA! I agree -- this process is very nerve wracking! I am so anxious about the verification process!

It's nice to know I'm not the only one here! I think that this gap year was something strategic on our ends- I might even mention it in my personal statement! How it solidified my decision to get into OT, and gave me more experience and exposure within the realm of OT!

Last edited:
Hello everyone! This will be my first time applying to OT schools. I am making a career change so I would consider myself a non-traditional student. I currently work in the nonprofit sector but I have always been interested in health care and occupational therapy, I just kind of gave up on the field when my science courses became too difficult when I was in undergrad. I'm ready and up for the challenge now! I've spent the last year taking pre-reqs and will apply for the 2018-2019 cycle.

Undergrad: University of Central Florida
Major: Interdisciplinary Studies
Applying to: Nova Southeastern, FGCU, Adventist, UAB, and Tennessee State
Undergrad GPA: 3.08
PreReq GPA: Between a 3.4 - 3.8 depending on the program
GRE: I plan on taking in April for the first time!

So far I've shadowed at a peds outpatient facility and a SNF. I'm hoping to get more hours, it's just challenging while working a full time job. Best of luck everyone!
I think as long as you get enough hours and a decent score on the GRE that you have a fighting chance! Use your current career and experiences to your advantage and try to apply them to field of OT if possible in your statement!

The PT hours are great and I am sure they gave you a chance to also observe OT and how the disciplines work together. I do think it will lead admissions boards to think that you chose OT second to PT. I would hold that off the application for OT if I were you. To me, I think it seems that you would rather do PT. If you applied to both and were excepted to both, would you still choose OT? Other than this, the stats are great!!

Thanks for your response! I have since decided to go all in for OT and forget PT! Having just begun this process, it took me a bit to get my head wrapped around a change, but OT is really is where I feel I will be happiest and do most good. I did not connect with PT as a profession or even most of the PTs I met! Do you think I should leave out all PT hours, or was your advice to leave off any that happened after or during the same time period as my OT hours? Obviously now I will not be getting any concurrent hours. My PT hours are all from a couple years ago, and my OT hours are current/ongoing.

I'm torn between including them and not, because I would like to show I have inpatient/geriatric/hospital-setting rehab experience, as I may not get any OT hours in a hospital setting, but I don't want them to think I switched to OT because I didn't get into PT or something. Maybe if I address the change somewhere in the essay? Or at least how I fell in love with OT? I think even admitting that I first wanted to be a PT and changed my mind when I learned more about OT is a great testament to how much I connected with the career. I mean, I was feeling so burnt out and unmotivated about PT, realizing I didn't really care about it, and when I research OT I literally started crying because it was everything I had been wishing PT was. It was an immediate connection. I think that's a compelling enough sentiment to make up for some PT hours, I hope!

This thread is great! I've been waiting to see some more 2018-2019 applicants on here! A little of my back story: I began my undergrad in exercise science with intentions of pursuing OT. During my first semester I had to deal with some difficult events and my grades began to drop. I became unsure of what I wanted to do with my path so I changed my major to HCAM. After graduating and beginning my career in healthcare, I realized by working with OTs and other clinicians that becoming an OT was still in my heart. Here are my stats:

- I need to pull it up 5 points, do people ever increase their scores that much?
Extracurricular: Future Healthcare Leaders, Adapted Physical Activity Club, American Marketing Association, and Intramural soccer.

Work Experience: Intern June 2013-May 2015 @ Home Health & Rehabilitation, Admin Assistant May 2016-Aug 2016 @ Adult Day Health Center, Volunteer Internship (360 Hrs) Aug 2016-Dec 2016 @ SNF, Health Information Coordinator @ Adult Day Health Center July 2017 - Current
- I have learned so much about the healthcare industry, HIPAA/documentation, about OT and how OTs work with all departments within an organization.

Observation/Volunteer: Pediatric Inpatient OT 10 hrs (obs), Adult Inpatient OT 50 hrs (volunteer), Pediatric Outpatient 20 hrs (obs)
- Planning to get more soon it is hard to work around a full time work schedule!
- I am torn between getting more hours as schools only look for 20-60. Is it really worth it to get 100's of hours when it does not set you apart from others if you all meet the requirement?

** I am concerned regarding my GPA and my undergraduate major. What do you guys think of my chances? How can I improve?

Thank you.

I am not sure your undergrad major is an issue. Maybe someone else can speak to this. However, I think your improved GPA shows how much you have grown and what kind of student you are NOW, so that's the most important. The schools I am applying to definitely emphasize, or only look at, the last 40-60 credit hours and the prerequisites. I would definitely retake the GRE though! Make sure you set time to prep quite a bit. If you want to significantly raise your score, you'll need a new approach. You can also just try to raise your verbal (I have a few pointers there if you want) but apply to schools that don't look at math (one of the three I'm applying to doesn't at all, the others have lower requirements for Q- it doesn't seem like a huge part of the app) or just go buck wild with the prep for both!

As for the volunteering hours, I do think they're very important, especially with a undergrad that isn't super relevant. It's how you show that you understand what the career is, show your interest in spending hours immersed in it, and build the relationships and knowledge that lead to great LOR and a knowledgeable interview! Also, if you have other shortcomings in your app you are worried about, don't neglect this one!

Thanks for your response! I have since decided to go all in for OT and forget PT! Having just begun this process, it took me a bit to get my head wrapped around a change, but OT is really is where I feel I will be happiest and do most good. I did not connect with PT as a profession or even most of the PTs I met! Do you think I should leave out all PT hours, or was your advice to leave off any that happened after or during the same time period as my OT hours? Obviously now I will not be getting any concurrent hours. My PT hours are all from a couple years ago, and my OT hours are current/ongoing.

I'm torn between including them and not, because I would like to show I have inpatient/geriatric/hospital-setting rehab experience, as I may not get any OT hours in a hospital setting, but I don't want them to think I switched to OT because I didn't get into PT or something. Maybe if I address the change somewhere in the essay? Or at least how I fell in love with OT? I think even admitting that I first wanted to be a PT and changed my mind when I learned more about OT is a great testament to how much I connected with the career. I mean, I was feeling so burnt out and unmotivated about PT, realizing I didn't really care about it, and when I research OT I literally started crying because it was everything I had been wishing PT was. It was an immediate connection. I think that's a compelling enough sentiment to make up for some PT hours, I hope!
I would definitely include your PT hours. Many OT applicants start out with PT because they don't even know OT exists and then later switch when they connect more with OT. It will also show your understanding of PT and how the two fields connect, which is important since the two work together a lot.

Im glad to hear you've chosen OT, its truly a great profession and Im excited to pursue it as well! I would definitely include the PT hours if you are wanting to show your experience in those settings. Id suggest mentioning the hours in the personal statement and maybe connecting those hours with how you discovered OT and how to learned how the disciplines work together!! You definitely have a great shot!!

I am not sure your undergrad major is an issue. Maybe someone else can speak to this. However, I think your improved GPA shows how much you have grown and what kind of student you are NOW, so that's the most important. The schools I am applying to definitely emphasize, or only look at, the last 40-60 credit hours and the prerequisites. I would definitely retake the GRE though! Make sure you set time to prep quite a bit. If you want to significantly raise your score, you'll need a new approach. You can also just try to raise your verbal (I have a few pointers there if you want) but apply to schools that don't look at math (one of the three I'm applying to doesn't at all, the others have lower requirements for Q- it doesn't seem like a huge part of the app) or just go buck wild with the prep for both!

As for the volunteering hours, I do think they're very important, especially with a undergrad that isn't super relevant. It's how you show that you understand what the career is, show your interest in spending hours immersed in it, and build the relationships and knowledge that lead to great LOR and a knowledgeable interview! Also, if you have other shortcomings in your app you are worried about, don't neglect this one!
Thanks for the feedback!!! I think you're right... I just struggle to get hours as I work FT and am taking 10 prereq credits on top! I will make it work somehow... Please share the GRE pointers -- all are welcome! Haha.

Thank you.

Hi! Just to give you some piece of mind, I got into my first choice school with an undergrad gpa of 3.22 and my major was Retail Merchandising and Product Development. I had a similar situation as you - I started as an exercise science major, but a lot of my family's biggest problems occurred during my freshman and sophomore year. My grades suffered and I settled for an easier major to graduate on time. I ended up having to go back to school after graduation to finish up the OT prereqs I needed.

My advice is to make sure your prereq gpa is as high as possible - this will show that you have the knowledge where it counts. Also, don't mention your lower grades or make excuses in your personal statements. You don't have much room to explain why you want to be an OT, so use all of that space to talk about OT and make it 100% positive. Highlight your strengths.

I would also suggest retaking the GRE. I used Magoosh to study and it was awesome. You want to have a higher GRE score than the average applicant so that you can compete against their higher undergrad gpas.

I would look for programs you like that have an face-to-face interview process. I think it is so beneficial to be able to speak to each program face-to-face and present yourself as a worthy student. They will be able to get a sense of who you are and look beyond your past grades. Confidence and preparation are key.

Lastly, show your top choices that you are interested in their school. Visit the schools you like and take a tour. Make sure you talk to someone in the department directly, ask questions, and attend information sessions if they offer them. They will take note of your interest.

Good luck!! :)

Hi! Just to give you some piece of mind, I got into my first choice school with an undergrad gpa of 3.22 and my major was Retail Merchandising and Product Development. I had a similar situation as you - I started as an exercise science major, but a lot of my family's biggest problems occurred during my freshman and sophomore year. My grades suffered and I settled for an easier major to graduate on time. I ended up having to go back to school after graduation to finish up the OT prereqs I needed.

My advice is to make sure your prereq gpa is as high as possible - this will show that you have the knowledge where it counts. Also, don't mention your lower grades or make excuses in your personal statements. You don't have much room to explain why you want to be an OT, so use all of that space to talk about OT and make it 100% positive. Highlight your strengths.

I would also suggest retaking the GRE. I used Magoosh to study and it was awesome. You want to have a higher GRE score than the average applicant so that you can compete against their higher undergrad gpas.

I would look for programs you like that have an face-to-face interview process. I think it is so beneficial to be able to speak to each program face-to-face and present yourself as a worthy student. They will be able to get a sense of who you are and look beyond your past grades. Confidence and preparation are key.

Lastly, show your top choices that you are interested in their school. Visit the schools you like and take a tour. Make sure you talk to someone in the department directly, ask questions, and attend information sessions if they offer them. They will take note of your interest.

Good luck!! :)
WOW - Thank you SO much! This was very reassuring! I mentioned my lower grades/situation in one or two sentences but was sure to keep it at a minimum. I will have to check out Magoosh! I used Kaplan the first time and really did not feel that it was helpful at all. I am currently taking my prereqs and so far so good...! Thank you so much for the advice!!

Thanks for the feedback!!! I think you're right... I just struggle to get hours as I work FT and am taking 10 prereq credits on top! I will make it work somehow... Please share the GRE pointers -- all are welcome! Haha.

You really have SO much on your plate! I am not surprised you are having a hard time fitting in volunteering. I can see how something has to give. If you think volunteering will harm your success in your classes, maybe it isn't as important?

GRE tips:
I did well on the Verbal and AW (167, 5) parts, but only okay on quant (153), so I guess you know which advice will be better. ;)

Verbal:
Flashcard apps. Do them daily.. even just 20 minutes when you're waiting for something. Use multiple apps, because they all have their faults, and they also all have different words. The best apps track your progress. Flipping a card does nothing, you need an app where you can log somehow if you knew it or not, otherwise you'll just stare blankly and keep forgetting. Magoosh has free GRE-specific flashcards, and those are great. Do all the lists, twice. If you want to practice words in context, which will really help, use the vocabulary d0t c0m app. I can share my GRE word lists with you, they don't have their own GRE lists so I compiled some which was SUPER time consuming. There are some weird mistakes or awkward phrasing in the questions sometimes due to being made my robots, but this app is sooo helpful. During your day-to-day life, try to use the words. This somehow helps you remember.

Analytical writing:
There are lists on the GRE website of all the possible essays prompts they could give you. Do a handful of these from both types of essays, TIMED. The key with these essays is to get an understanding of what types of things they'll give you, and how to approach each, because otherwise you will flounder. Argument essays are easier, because there will always be either holes in the argument prompt, or at least alternative explanations for their assumptions.

Try to do this for argument essays:
1) restate the premise of the argument made in the prompt in your own words. Follow this with a sentence such as "The conclusions drawn, however, are based on assumptions that are not entirely warranted, which I will outline below". This isn't perfect, but you can tweak this IF you have enough time. Your first task is just to finish the thing.
2) The body of the essay should be 2-3 paragraphs, ideally 3. Each paragraph is about poking a hole or casting doubt about the prompt. Usually, it's an assumption made in the argument, or some other faulty reasoning. You don't have to say the argument is wrong, just that there is no reason to assume based on the given information that the conclusion drawn by the prompt is valid.
3) The last paragraph is the conclusion, which should sort of restate what you've laid out, which is that the argument made was based on false reasoning, and before such a conclusion, or any conclusion, can be made regarding <insert subject here>, more data must be gathered. Something along those lines applies most of the time.
4) IF you have time, you can make this better and more creative or smooth, but having a framework allows you to relax when you get to the end, because gettting to the end is important. Editing comes later. The point is, you learn how to write this clunky 5 paragraph essay in middle school, then in college you learn how to write more creatively and shed that clunky style. Forget college, go back to middle school, because you only have 30 minutes.

Issue essays are harder, because they're asking for your opinion and you could go anywhere with that. My advice is to do this:

1) pick the stance on the issue that you can quickly think of multiple points about. As long as it isn't a deplorable, amoral opinion, it doesn't matter if it is your actual opinion. Your actual opinion may make you too thoughtful and actually slow you down while you reflect on life and truth and what you stand for... you don't need that right now. Pick AN opinion, and get on with it.
2) Restate the prompt in own words, and finish with a brief allusion, or even a strong statement, that refers to your own opinion, which you will now elaborate on.
3) 2-3 paragraphs, each with a point supporting your opinion, or whatever opinion you have adopted.
4) re-describe the issue as stated at the beginning, end with a something that draws your previously stated opinions together into something making the larger point your 2-3 paragraphs were getting at. If you can't do that, then just sort of summarize what you already said in strong tone.

Quant:

Like I said, not my strong suit, but I would have done much worse without proper prep.

Use practice books. Use them TIMED. Use flashcard apps- magoosh is also great for quant. But don't stop there, when you're doing practice problems, if you come across a solution that contains a rule/formula that you don't know/have memorized, make your own paper flashcard. These rules and formulas are just as much a part of quant as actual problem solving.

Overall:
Do as many practice tests as possible, do them timed, do the whole thing at once. Don't avoid thinking about the GRE as it approaches just because it makes you nervous, face it before it happens or it'll jump out at you the day of and throw you off.

Reactions: 3 users
Hey all!

So I have been looking for a forum where I could get some serious advice but my situation is somewhat particular(although I'm sure someone out there has been through the same thing) and decided to ask for it here. So I actually applied for the 2017/2018 cycle, and was accepted to 3 schools(Dominican, ATSU, and UIndy), however after much deliberation I decided not to attend any of them and re-apply for the following cycles for some schools I didn't get a chance to apply to such as SJSU, CSUDH, CSU, and some others. I will also be applying to the same schools I already got into the first time in hopes of getting accepted again in case I don't get accepted to the others. So here is where I need advice. I understand the state schools are ALOT more competitive and would love to know what I can strengthen in my app in order to have the best chance possible. Here are my stats:

Major: Human Biology with minor in Cognitive Science
Cum GPA: ~3.2(YIKES)
PreRep GPA:~3.6 depending on the school (plan to retake certain courses)
GRE: 147V 147Q 4.5AW (plan to retake)
LOR: OT, Research professor, and PT(who I work for)
I have a publication for my undergraduate research and about 300+ hours in a combination of PT and OT due to my job as a PT aide. I also am going to start doing volunteer hours in pediatrics where I hope to do about 50 or so.

I am honestly putting in all my work into getting into CSUDH in order to start in Jan but obviously I need to be realistic.

You really have SO much on your plate! I am not surprised you are having a hard time fitting in volunteering. I can see how something has to give. If you think volunteering will harm your success in your classes, maybe it isn't as important?

GRE tips:
I did well on the Verbal and AW (167, 5) parts, but only okay on quant (153), so I guess you know which advice will be better. ;)

Verbal:
Flashcard apps. Do them daily.. even just 20 minutes when you're waiting for something. Use multiple apps, because they all have their faults, and they also all have different words. The best apps track your progress. Flipping a card does nothing, you need an app where you can log somehow if you knew it or not, otherwise you'll just stare blankly and keep forgetting. Magoosh has free GRE-specific flashcards, and those are great. Do all the lists, twice. If you want to practice words in context, which will really help, use the vocabulary d0t c0m app. I can share my GRE word lists with you, they don't have their own GRE lists so I compiled some which was SUPER time consuming. There are some weird mistakes or awkward phrasing in the questions sometimes due to being made my robots, but this app is sooo helpful. During your day-to-day life, try to use the words. This somehow helps you remember.

Analytical writing:
There are lists on the GRE website of all the possible essays prompts they could give you. Do a handful of these from both types of essays, TIMED. The key with these essays is to get an understanding of what types of things they'll give you, and how to approach each, because otherwise you will flounder. Argument essays are easier, because there will always be either holes in the argument prompt, or at least alternative explanations for their assumptions.

Try to do this for argument essays:
1) restate the premise of the argument made in the prompt in your own words. Follow this with a sentence such as "The conclusions drawn, however, are based on assumptions that are not entirely warranted, which I will outline below". This isn't perfect, but you can tweak this IF you have enough time. Your first task is just to finish the thing.
2) The body of the essay should be 2-3 paragraphs, ideally 3. Each paragraph is about poking a hole or casting doubt about the prompt. Usually, it's an assumption made in the argument, or some other faulty reasoning. You don't have to say the argument is wrong, just that there is no reason to assume based on the given information that the conclusion drawn by the prompt is valid.
3) The last paragraph is the conclusion, which should sort of restate what you've laid out, which is that the argument made was based on false reasoning, and before such a conclusion, or any conclusion, can be made regarding <insert subject here>, more data must be gathered. Something along those lines applies most of the time.
4) IF you have time, you can make this better and more creative or smooth, but having a framework allows you to relax when you get to the end, because gettting to the end is important. Editing comes later. The point is, you learn how to write this clunky 5 paragraph essay in middle school, then in college you learn how to write more creatively and shed that clunky style. Forget college, go back to middle school, because you only have 30 minutes.

Issue essays are harder, because they're asking for your opinion and you could go anywhere with that. My advice is to do this:

1) pick the stance on the issue that you can quickly think of multiple points about. As long as it isn't a deplorable, amoral opinion, it doesn't matter if it is your actual opinion. Your actual opinion may make you too thoughtful and actually slow you down while you reflect on life and truth and what you stand for... you don't need that right now. Pick AN opinion, and get on with it.
2) Restate the prompt in own words, and finish with a brief allusion, or even a strong statement, that refers to your own opinion, which you will now elaborate on.
3) 2-3 paragraphs, each with a point supporting your opinion, or whatever opinion you have adopted.
4) re-describe the issue as stated at the beginning, end with a something that draws your previously stated opinions together into something making the larger point your 2-3 paragraphs were getting at. If you can't do that, then just sort of summarize what you already said in strong tone.

Quant:

Like I said, not my strong suit, but I would have done much worse without proper prep.

Use practice books. Use them TIMED. Use flashcard apps- magoosh is also great for quant. But don't stop there, when you're doing practice problems, if you come across a solution that contains a rule/formula that you don't know/have memorized, make your own paper flashcard. These rules and formulas are just as much a part of quant as actual problem solving.

Overall:
Do as many practice tests as possible, do them timed, do the whole thing at once. Don't avoid thinking about the GRE as it approaches just because it makes you nervous, face it before it happens or it'll jump out at you the day of and throw you off.
Yeah it is a struggle! I am hoping to find a job as a therapy tech but then am torn as I would take a pay cut and probably commute further. I am trying to figure it all out though!!

Wow! You are THE BEST. I definitely need to focus more on word groups and actually found some in the Kaplan books but I only found them about a week before the test so it did not serve me well! Thank you so much!!! Keeping all of these pointers!!!!

Yeah it is a struggle! I am hoping to find a job as a therapy tech but then am torn as I would take a pay cut and probably commute further. I am trying to figure it all out though!!

Wow! You are THE BEST. I definitely need to focus more on word groups and actually found some in the Kaplan books but I only found them about a week before the test so it did not serve me well! Thank you so much!!! Keeping all of these pointers!!!!

No problem! private message me your email if you want to me send you my GRE lists to use on that website I can't type because SDN is weird. Using mine will save you a ton of work you probably don't have time to do.

Hello again guys!! Does anyone know what you can enter into OTCAS that will roll over into our cycle when July comes? Should I wait to add the general information or should I get a head start? I am worried that I will spend time adding to my app and then it will clear when the new cycle begins...

Hello again guys!! Does anyone know what you can enter into OTCAS that will roll over into our cycle when July comes? Should I wait to add the general information or should I get a head start? I am worried that I will spend time adding to my app and then it will clear when the new cycle begins...

I don't know the whole list of everything that carries over with the new cycle, but do not put your recommendation letters in this early! I learned the hard way..they will be deleted! I'm pretty sure that all of your personal information, your certifications, honors, and experiences will carry over if you want to start inputting those. I'm not sure about the transcript entry.

I'm sure if you call and ask they will be happy to let you know which parts will carry over!

I don't know the whole list of everything that carries over with the new cycle, but do not put your recommendation letters in this early! I learned the hard way..they will be deleted! I'm pretty sure that all of your personal information, your certifications, honors, and experiences will carry over if you want to start inputting those. I'm not sure about the transcript entry.

I'm sure if you call and ask they will be happy to let you know which parts will carry over!
Oh wow! Yeah I was not sure about the letters...thank you for the info!!! I am so anxious I wish it was July already so I could begin the real thing!!!

Hey everyone! I've looked around this website for a long time but this is my first time posting! I have wanted to do OT for the past 5 years and I'm getting nervous and anxious about applying! Thank you in advance for your advice!!!

Undergrad University: University of Georgia
Major: Human Development and Family Science; Certificate: Disability Studies
Class: Junior (will be done with major classes in December)
Overall GPA undergrad: 3.75 (with +/- scale), hoping to raise to 3.8 before applying
Pre-Req GPA: 3.66 (need to take Medical Terminology, with +/- scale)
GRE: taking in May

Extra-Curric/Work/non OT volunteer: over 840 hours at camp for teens with disabilities (1 year as counselor and 2 years as lead counselor), about 15-20 hours interning at local city hall to plan for camp, 20 hours volunteer at hippo-therapy with SLP, 80 hours of intern and volunteer at neurodevelopment school, 5 hours observing pediatric PT, 2 hours observing Speech, 6 hours observing ABA, Camper for Guide Dog foundation (January 2018-present), Vice President of Academic Affairs for my sorority, Treasurer for my college FACS Honors society, pre OT club member

OT Volunteer: 115 hours in pediatric outpatient (at three different locations), in progress- 60 hours at orthopedic clinic with hand certified OTs, planning 20 hours at SNF in May (hopefully will total about 200 in 3 different types of settings)

Update: Submitted applications to GaState, Augusta, and Brenau (Gainesville Day). I plan on also applying to TSU and Brenau (Norcross hybrid)!

Last edited:
Hey everyone! I've looked around this website for a long time but this is my first time posting! I have wanted to do OT for the past 5 years and I'm getting nervous and anxious about applying! I plan on applying to: GA State, Augusta University, MUSC, Lenoir-Rhyne, possibly some other programs in TN or NC! Thank you in advance for your advice!!!

Undergrad University: University of Georgia
Major: Human Development and Family Science; Certificate: Disability Studies
Class: Junior (will be done with major classes in December)
Overall GPA undergrad: 3.75 (with +/- scale), hoping to raise to 3.8 before applying
Pre-Req GPA: 3.66 (need to take Medical Terminology, with +/- scale)
GRE: taking in May

Extra-Curric/Work/non OT volunteer: over 840 hours at camp for teens with disabilities (1 year as counselor and 2 years as lead counselor), about 15-20 hours interning at local city hall to plan for camp, 20 hours volunteer at hippo-therapy with SLP, 80 hours of intern and volunteer at neurodevelopment school, 5 hours observing pediatric PT, 2 hours observing Speech, 6 hours observing ABA, Camper for Guide Dog foundation (January 2018-present), Vice President of Academic Affairs for my sorority, Treasurer for my college FACS Honors society, pre OT club member

OT Volunteer: 115 hours in pediatric outpatient (at three different locations), in progress- 60 hours at orthopedic clinic with hand certified OTs, planning 20 hours at SNF in May (hopefully will total about 200 in 3 different types of settings)

specific questions:
does being a PT patient count for observation? (I was in and out of PT for 5 years and realized I didn't like PT then haha)

Your stats sound really good to me! As long as you have solid LOR and SOP, I think you're a pretty sure bet. :) I don't think being a patient counts at all, but it could be a good thing to based your SOP around!

Additional question: I have my full stats above, but I am wondering how my current plan (different than above) sounds for OT hours.

Already have or planned:

non-OT: 150 general (info desk) volunteering. 150 PT acute inpatient and general outpatient.

OT: will have ~100 at a pediatric private clinic. Will also have about 60 from a special needs school. I plan to find something in TBI/SCI, but if I can't find that I'll do a geriatric SNF. I will likely have time for a 4th volunteering position in another context, but it's not guaranteed. I haven't started the special needs school yet, but now I'm rethinking if having two peds is really worth my time. On the other hand, I've been emailing with the OT from that school for a couple weeks, and have started the background check process. I'd feel SO bad changing my mind. Also, I think it will have a different angle on peds than my private clinic, which is mostly clients with behavioral issues and learning disabilities. The SN school will have a totally different population with more severe impairments. Additionally, the SN school counts as a community service thing which is a requirement for one of the schools I'm applying to. I am just wondering if I should not do the SN school in favor of finding a completely different context. Is 2 peds, and 1, maybe 2 other contexts good? I do plan on working in peds but I know they want a well-rounded applicant.

Additional question: I have my full stats above, but I am wondering how my current plan (different than above) sounds for OT hours.

Already have or planned:

non-OT: 150 general (info desk) volunteering. 150 PT acute inpatient and general outpatient.

OT: will have ~100 at a pediatric private clinic. Will also have about 60 from a special needs school. I plan to find something in TBI/SCI, but if I can't find that I'll do a geriatric SNF. I will likely have time for a 4th volunteering position in another context, but it's not guaranteed. I haven't started the special needs school yet, but now I'm rethinking if having two peds is really worth my time. On the other hand, I've been emailing with the OT from that school for a couple weeks, and have started the background check process. I'd feel SO bad changing my mind. Also, I think it will have a different angle on peds than my private clinic, which is mostly clients with behavioral issues and learning disabilities. The SN school will have a totally different population with more severe impairments. Additionally, the SN school counts as a community service thing which is a requirement for one of the schools I'm applying to. I am just wondering if I should not do the SN school in favor of finding a completely different context. Is 2 peds, and 1, maybe 2 other contexts good? I do plan on working in peds but I know they want a well-rounded applicant.
I would do the SN school because it fills two requirements: shadowing + community service; whereas if you went with the SNF you would still have to find time to do community service. While talking to an admissions counselor for a school I am applying to they said hours are set so they know that you have observed the day-to-day of an OT and what the profession entails, not so much for anything else. I think having 2 peds is fine!

Personal statement question-- my undergrad GPA isn't incredible (3.53) and I want to make up for it by doing well on the GRE (taking this summer and I tend to do well on this type of test), getting a 4.0 in pre-recs (so far so good!) and with a killer personal statement. I majored/worked in special education and am pretty focused on pediatrics- is it okay fairly straightforward about that in my essay or do I need to convey a more general or well-rounded interest in OT? I will have other shadowing experiences to go off of but working with kids has always been my biggest passion, OT came a little later, and I have a lot to draw from working as a Sped team lead directly with an OT for evaluations/school service plans (& sharing an office!). Should I try to branch out a little more in my essay or is it okay to be more directed?

Personal statement question-- my undergrad GPA isn't incredible (3.53) and I want to make up for it by doing well on the GRE (taking this summer and I tend to do well on this type of test), getting a 4.0 in pre-recs (so far so good!) and with a killer personal statement. I majored/worked in special education and am pretty focused on pediatrics- is it okay fairly straightforward about that in my essay or do I need to convey a more general or well-rounded interest in OT? I will have other shadowing experiences to go off of but working with kids has always been my biggest passion, OT came a little later, and I have a lot to draw from working as a Sped team lead directly with an OT for evaluations/school service plans (& sharing an office!). Should I try to branch out a little more in my essay or is it okay to be more directed?

I think its okay to emphasize one experience, in a well written statement that passion for OT regardless of population will show through your writing. You also don't want to make your essay too long with story after story. However, one of the ways I worked around this (because I also had a big emphasis on wanting to work with kids in my essay) was wrapping up my essay by saying an OT program would help me build the necessary skills to become a well rounded practitioner. Maybe even a sentence or two saying while you do heavily enjoy peds you have a passion for empowering people in general to feel confident in their abilities. Lastly, you can stress that each experience taught you something you can apply to your time in school and fieldwork (e.g. leadership, communication skills, patience).

You will be fine with your GPA.

Hi, what are my chances of getting into OT school? I have been discouraged lately due to reading people's statistics online and don't feel like I have any chance.
GPA : 3.1 - 3.2
Prereq gpa : 3.4-3.6
Major: Psychology
Minor: Public Health
Extracurriculars: Internship at a preschool for children with special needs where I observed an OT and helped in the classroom, internship at a middle/high school for those with special needs, camp counselor for individuals with disabilities, hand therapy observation (30 hours), school OT for children with disabilities (20 hours), study abroad in Italy where I volunteered to teach english, mentored children in the 3rd grade for a few months
This summer, prior to applying in the Fall for the Fall 2019, I am going to work as an after school aide for children with disabilities, along with observing, hopefully, more OT's for about 50-60 more hours.
I am applying to:
Kean, NYIT, NYU, Columbia, seton hall, stockton, york college, LIU brooklyn, SUNY downtown, stony brook

Hi, what are my chances of getting into OT school? I have been discouraged lately due to reading people's statistics online and don't feel like I have any chance.
GPA : 3.1 - 3.2
Prereq gpa : 3.4-3.6
Major: Psychology
Minor: Public Health
Extracurriculars: Internship at a preschool for children with special needs where I observed an OT and helped in the classroom, internship at a middle/high school for those with special needs, camp counselor for individuals with disabilities, hand therapy observation (30 hours), school OT for children with disabilities (20 hours), study abroad in Italy where I volunteered to teach english, mentored children in the 3rd grade for a few months
This summer, prior to applying in the Fall for the Fall 2019, I am going to work as an after school aide for children with disabilities, along with observing, hopefully, more OT's for about 50-60 more hours.
I am applying to:
Kean, NYIT, NYU, Columbia, seton hall, stockton, york college, LIU brooklyn, SUNY downtown, stony brook
Hi there!
My GPA is a 3.27 and I feel the same way. I would have a good personal statement and LORs and you have a fighting chance! Stay positive, its all we can do!!

Guys I have a question --
How can you add information to your application without selecting schools to apply to? I dont see a way to skip ahead and add information in?

Thank you for the help!

Hi everyone, I will be attending SJSU for Fall 2018. After I post my stats, I'll post some advice:

University: University of California, Davis
Major: Economics (2009)
Overall GPA: OTCAS 2.76 (low GPA alert for those worried about that!)
Last 60 credits GPA: 3.8
Pre-Req GPA: 3.8-4.0 (depending on the school)
GRE: 155V, 150Q, 4.5W

Work: Personal Fitness Trainer (8 years)

Observation/Volunteer hours: 120 hours Hospital, 40 hours PEDS, 40 hours community health workshop volunteer

LOR: OTR/L from Keck, Psych prof, former manager

Applied to: SJSU, Pacific U, Columbia, SUNY Downstate, TJU

Acceptances: SJSU

Rejections: TJU, Pacific U, Columbia, SUNY Downstate

Interviews: None

My advice:
- If your overall GPA is below 3.0, TJU will reject you immediately (their rejections email came very quickly) and most other schools will too if that's one of their main criteria, so don't bother wasting your time on them because they already have plenty of 3.0+ applicants. No matter how good your LOR's are, nothing really makes up for it (unless you hit like a 165+/165+/5+ GRE and explain it to admissions lol). I can confirm this because I asked admissions from University of Washington and University of Chicago. They were nice and honest telling me they wouldn't consider my application at all. You will know if a school focuses on your GPA a lot when they explicitly state it on their website. The ones who don't are up in the air. I felt like I had a chance to get into Columbia.
- Make sure you trust the people writing your LOR's. Outstanding LOR's definitely helped me stand out against a large applicant pool for SJSU, I believe.
- Same for your personal statement. My main goal was to get into SJSU, so I wrote specifically to them. The other schools were written based on my SJSU essay to hit their word count tbh.
- For schools that look at last 60 credits or less, just make sure your last 60 credits are near 4.0. That's roughly 2 years of full-time coursework at your local community college. Coming from an Economics background and graduating almost 10 years ago, I basically took every prereq from scratch and really put my all into it. If you're older like me, make sure you have some savings to really be able to spend time on your classes properly. I was able to get 54 units of straight A's (the last 6 units being B's from 2009), which put my last 60 at 3.8. Good enough, apparently lol
- Diversify your volunteer settings. I wish I did and I think it held me back. Sure, I volunteered at a hospital, a children's neuro clinic, and taught classes to senior citizens, but more couldn't hurt (unless it impeded on my schedule to focus on school).
- Make sure you understand what the school is looking for in an applicant. Read thru their website thoroughly and ask questions if you have any.
- Lastly, if you hit the GRE min for V/Q, do your best to get a high Writing score. That could really turn the tides into your favor.

Hope this helps those who feel like a lost hope. The thing is, although my GPA was low and I hadn't been in school for so long, I never thought I didn't have any hope. I just put my all into something I grew to love more and more.

Reactions: 3 users
Hi everyone, I will be attending SJSU for Fall 2018. After I post my stats, I'll post some advice:

University: University of California, Davis
Major: Economics (2009)
Overall GPA: OTCAS 2.76 (low GPA alert for those worried about that!)
Last 60 credits GPA: 3.8
Pre-Req GPA: 3.8-4.0 (depending on the school)
GRE: 155V, 150Q, 4.5W

Work: Personal Fitness Trainer (8 years)

Observation/Volunteer hours: 120 hours Hospital, 40 hours PEDS, 40 hours community health workshop volunteer

LOR: OTR/L from Keck, Psych prof, former manager

Applied to: SJSU, Pacific U, Columbia, SUNY Downstate, TJU

Acceptances: SJSU

Rejections: TJU, Pacific U, Columbia, SUNY Downstate

Interviews: None

My advice:
- If your overall GPA is below 3.0, TJU will reject you immediately (their rejections email came very quickly) and most other schools will too if that's one of their main criteria, so don't bother wasting your time on them because they already have plenty of 3.0+ applicants. No matter how good your LOR's are, nothing really makes up for it (unless you hit like a 165+/165+/5+ GRE and explain it to admissions lol). I can confirm this because I asked admissions from University of Washington and University of Chicago. They were nice and honest telling me they wouldn't consider my application at all. You will know if a school focuses on your GPA a lot when they explicitly state it on their website. The ones who don't are up in the air. I felt like I had a chance to get into Columbia.
- Make sure you trust the people writing your LOR's. Outstanding LOR's definitely helped me stand out against a large applicant pool for SJSU, I believe.
- Same for your personal statement. My main goal was to get into SJSU, so I wrote specifically to them. The other schools were written based on my SJSU essay to hit their word count tbh.
- For schools that look at last 60 credits or less, just make sure your last 60 credits are near 4.0. That's roughly 2 years of full-time coursework at your local community college. Coming from an Economics background and graduating almost 10 years ago, I basically took every prereq from scratch and really put my all into it. If you're older like me, make sure you have some savings to really be able to spend time on your classes properly. I was able to get 54 units of straight A's (the last 6 units being B's from 2009), which put my last 60 at 3.8. Good enough, apparently lol
- Diversify your volunteer settings. I wish I did and I think it held me back. Sure, I volunteered at a hospital, a children's neuro clinic, and taught classes to senior citizens, but more couldn't hurt (unless it impeded on my schedule to focus on school).
- Make sure you understand what the school is looking for in an applicant. Read thru their website thoroughly and ask questions if you have any.
- Lastly, if you hit the GRE min for V/Q, do your best to get a high Writing score. That could really turn the tides into your favor.

Hope this helps those who feel like a lost hope. The thing is, although my GPA was low and I hadn't been in school for so long, I never thought I didn't have any hope. I just put my all into something I grew to love more and more.
This gives me so much hope being that I was also a business major with a 3.27 GPA. Congrats on your successful admission :)

This gives me so much hope being that I was also a business major with a 3.27 GPA. Congrats on your successful admission :)

I don't think most OT schools care what your undergrad is as long as you can convey your reason for wanting to become an OT in your personal statement and through your LOR's. Also, it will show in your prereq grades too. So there's always a fighting chance!

I don't think most OT schools care what your undergrad is as long as you can convey your reason for wanting to become an OT in your personal statement and through your LOR's. Also, it will show in your prereq grades too. So there's always a fighting chance!
Thank you so much for the confidence boost!

How can you add information to your application without selecting schools to apply to? I dont see a way to skip ahead and add information in?

Thank you for the help!

Thank you for the help!

On OTCAS you can just select any random program, because it'll reset for the 2018/19 cycle. I contacted OTCAS and that's what they recommended! You can fill in all of the personal info and transcript stuff, and that'll carry over even when the system resets. Best of luck to you!!

On OTCAS you can just select any random program, because it'll reset for the 2018/19 cycle. I contacted OTCAS and that's what they recommended! You can fill in all of the personal info and transcript stuff, and that'll carry over even when the system resets. Best of luck to you!!
Thank you so much!!!

Thank you.
I increased my score by 5 points when I took it the second time! Try going on Kaplan's website, they offer free webinars that seriously help. It teaches you tips and tricks to make the GRE go better. Honestly that is what helped me the most because the books just were not cutting it. Good luck! You can do it!

ALSO another question!! How do you document your hours? Do you just create a chart/document and have them sign? Then scan it to the computer?

Hi everyone! Sending good luck to everyone applying and congratulations to all who were accepted! I will be applying for the second time this upcoming cycle. I've worked really hard in my prereq classes since my grades from undergrad were not great. I definitely should've improved more of my stats but here's to another go at it!

My stats currently (according to OTCAS):
University: University at Buffalo, SUNY
Major: Psychology (2015)
Undergrad GPA: 2.67
Overall GPA: 2.86
Pre-Req GPA: ~3.78
(A&P I/II, Bio 1, Chem 1, Gen/Abnormal/Dev Psych, Sociology, Statistics, etc)
GRE: 148V, 145Q, 4AW

Work: ABA Therapy Assistant at an after school for autistic children

Observation/Volunteer hours: ~20 hours pediatrics, 1.5 years (~500+ hours) hand therapy (worked as an office assistant)

Upcoming cycle improvements: I am looking to volunteer at a geriatrics or veteran facility hopefully, and maybe a few hours at a school, retaking the GRE (didn't really study the first time), taking a few classes to raise my GPA as well as Bio 2, Physical Science, and Medical Terminology

Biggest mistake: not making sure the schools I applied to look at applications under a 3.0 GPA (many do, and don't even take a glance at your app if it's under a 3.0), not having enough hours, could've tried harder on GRE

Looking for any advice to improve my stats and some inspiration! Hopefully will get into a program this year!

Thank you.

My story is very similar to yours! I started out as a Health Sciences major, but due to personal and family circumstances transferred universities and changed my major to Business Management. There was much more of an emphasis on work experience and extracurricular activities in the business program, so I have some awesome work experience but graduated with a 3.5 GPA.
I have had multiple advisors at my school tell me that the Business major will really stand out and help set me apart from other applicants. They felt strongly that the business degree will be an asset to have in addition to an OT degree, and having work experience dealing with health insurance will bring a different perspective to whatever university I go to.
One advisor even told me that the schools won't care as much what my cumulative GPA was, because they won't really care what my grades were in business classes. They will be much more interested in performance in pre-req classes.
I was definitely nervous about applying to OT programs at first, but my advisors were very encouraging, and I have been trying to gain as much healthcare experience as possible before applying!