How about In State Tuition for Out of Staters

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Vetmed88

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I've gotten 8 rejections, a handful of waitlists, and acceptances at 5 schools, so I do consider myself very fortunate. One of the bigger questions for me will be which schools are more lenient and which are less lenient on out of state students trying to qualify for in-state tuition. Since I am on my own now, that is a big factor on where I will eventually choose to go to school. Here are the schools...............Colorado, Minnesota, Purdue, Michigan State, North Carolina..........none of which are my home state. If anyone has any clarification on this question, I would appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad.

Ok, so I've gotten 8 rejections, a handful of waitlists, and acceptances at 5 schools, so I do consider myself very fortunate. One of the bigger questions for me will be which schools are more lenient and which are less lenient on out of state students trying to qualify for in-state tuition. Since I am on my own now, that is a big factor on where I will eventually choose to go to school. Here are the schools...............Colorado, Minnesota, Purdue, Michigan State, North Carolina..........none of which are my home state. If anyone has any clarification on this question, I would appreciate it.

I'm pretty sure only NCState allows it (and last year 98% of students successfully changed their residencies). Not to mention their IS tuition is AWESOME! GO THERE lol. I think the only other ones are Ohio Stae and Mizzou? Correct me if I'm wrong someone. There is also a HUGE thread on this topic if you search for it! :thumbup: I know for a FACT that Colorado doesn't let you switch residencies.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm pretty sure only NCState allows it (and last year 98% of students successfully changed their residencies). Not to mention their IS tuition is AWESOME! GO THERE lol. I think the only other ones are Ohio Stae and Mizzou? Correct me if I'm wrong someone. There is also a HUGE thread on this topic if you search for it! :thumbup: I know for a FACT that Colorado doesn't let you switch residencies.

I agree, go to NCState!

I agree, go to NCState!

Going to NC State as an OOSer and changing residency is even cheaper than me going to my IS school! And NCState is a FANTASTIC school! Congrats on getting in there OOS, that's really tough!

just gonna second everyone who has already said it. I was at breakfast with an NCSU administrator recently and he went over exactly what it takes to achieve in state tuition after year one. They even bring in an attorney during orientation to go over it with OOS students.

Plus there's a good chance I'll be joining you in Raleigh, I'd be a year behind in vet med, but there as of August!

NCSU! I was also an OOS student and changing your residency is easy! In-state tuition is the cheapest around and the cost-of-living isn't too bad either. Plus it's a great school so you're definitely not selling yourself short there either.

I always here the cost of living isn't too bad but what does that mean as far as rent goes? Oh and just to not hijack the thread I've heard that like 96% of out of state students have gotten residency in the past four years and those that didn't, didn't even bother applying.

I always here the cost of living isn't too bad but what does that mean as far as rent goes? Oh and just to not hijack the thread I've heard that like 96% of out of state students have gotten residency in the past four years and those that didn't, didn't even bother applying.

And a few of those were military members, so they for one reason or another couldn't really.

It's really easy to change your residency in MN *IF* you are willing work 10 hours/week for a year.

10 hours a week for a year? Anywhere in particular? On campus? At the vet school? Please elaborate

10 hours a week for a year? Anywhere in particular? On campus? At the vet school? Please elaborate

At a legitimate job in that state. Pet store, fast food, vet clinic, ranch hand... Doesn't matter. It's about holding a job as a way of proving you are there in the state for the whole year.

Ps I'm so jealous you made it into NCSU! With the stats you must have, I can imagine 8 schools rejected you! Just shows how competitive this process is!

Quite frankly, I think the process is somewhat ridiculous. Who knows what these schools want? Most everyone that applies is well qualified, so it boils down in some cases as to what is important to each school. I was rejected outright by 8 schools, so for those schools my profile did not fit their picture obviously. I was accepted by Michigan State in early December, which was the first school to notify applicants. Go figure. Accepted after interviews at some schools, rejected after interviews at others. Apparently, my in state school (California, by the way) did not even feel I merited an interview. My stats were very competitive, but not at the top 3 schools.

Ah but I digress..............Back to Minnesota: do you need to register to vote, get a driver's license, etc. or is that optional.?

I can also tell you for a fact that you will not be able to gain residency at Purdue. I met with an admissions counselor during my interview visit and she basically told me "don't even think about it...it's not gonna happen."

And I agree with what has been said for NC state. Great school and you can gain residency after one year.

As far as getting a DL or voter's registration, I think it would depend on what the state requires for residency. It certainly couldn't hurt and would probably help your case, but again it depends on what the state requires.