1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

How about PCOM?

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by slicknick, Sep 24, 2001.

1. slicknick

slicknick New Member

Any PCOM students out there willing to give any info about PCOM.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. David511

David511 Ponch's Illegitimate Son
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    ...we kick ass, 'nuff said.

4. sperl2

sperl2 Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

I am a second year at Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine, do you have any specific questions?

5. Aeromonas

Aeromonas Member
    7+ Year Member

Sperl 2,

Just some quick questions: Are you glad you chose PCOM? Does the large number of students in each class have any advantages or disadvantages? What kind of clinical experience did you receive your first two years?
    thanks

6. PhillyGirl

PhillyGirl Member
    10+ Year Member

Hey Slicknick. I am a first year, and I love PCOM. I was lucky, and had a choice of where I wanted to go, and I will admit that I wasn't sure at first that I had made the right decision, but now (even after 2 exams) I am confident that this is THE place to be.

You asked Sperl2 about clinical experience. Well, we get assigned a shadowing experience at a local health center that we go to once. BUT, there's so much more out there, if you look for it. The OPP department (in the medical office building next door) is very open to allowing students to come in and shadow the doctors, several of which are known for allowing you to help them with patient interactions. Also, there are amazing clubs on campus that offer so much. FOr example, in the OMM club, aka Crunch Bunch, we learned how to do a technique to treat the common cold yesterday.

We also have many primary care skills classes during the year, where we learn all about doing physical exams, etc.

As far as the large classes go, I went to an undergrad univ with about 30,000 students, so this is small to me. Yes, there are days where if you come to class late you won't get your favorite seat, but there's always someone to go to gross lab with you to study and there's always someone around to help.

Ok, those were my two cents. Yeah PCOM!!

BostonGirl (although I guess I am a philly girl now)