How accurate are practice MCAT scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mEst_up

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
I was just wondering how accurate the AAMC practice test scores are? I took practice test 3 two weeks after I made my decision to go to med. school. I took the practice MCAT in the early morning hours (my only free time, like oh 3 or 4 in the morning) and I took it completely blind with no idea what it was going to be like and I pulled a 27 overall p7, b10, v10. How accurate does everyone think this will be compared to the real MCAT's?? Since then I have been going over Ochem mechanisms and working hard with the Kaplan comp review book, so I just want an idea of what kind of how realistic the scores are...

CUskibum

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
the average person gets around 20 on their first practice test and then improves to mid 20s on the real thing. You should be in good shape to get a 30+ with good prep

Cerberus

Heroic Necromancer
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
aamc MCAT 3 is not very indicative because it is much easier than the real MCAT and the later aamc tests. I base this on my own experience in taking it and aamc 4 and on other posters who have also claimed that it is much easier.

king_robert12

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
aamc MCAT 3 is not very indicative because it is much easier than the real MCAT and the later aamc tests. I base this on my own experience in taking it and aamc 4 and on other posters who have also claimed that it is much easier.

Agreed.

MeowMix

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any single practice test is not a good indicator, since it reflects how you responded on only one day to a given set of science topics.

A series of tests with consistent scores, that cover a wider range of science topics, taken on different days, are a much more reliable indicator of your progress.

A 27 is a good start; if you can keep improving from there over a period of weeks, you are in great shape.

mEst_up

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the good advice...I just really wanted an idea of whether or not 27 was a good start. It is such a recent decision that I decided to go on to Med. School that I am just floundering with the application process right now.