How accurate is AAMC 3?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

frank1frank

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, it's kinda blunt...how accurate is AAMC relative to actual test performance for anyone that's been a part of the practice test/actual test procedure? I'm applying next cycle, but taking an MCAT soon for this old one.

Since I'm online and I my identity is revealed, I'll admit that I have a very, very severe insecurity issue. Despite being "bright on the books" (Physics, senior, 3.96, took chem up to biochem so I'll take the new MCAT if I need to), I always think I can never amount to anything.

I have low confidence, so preemptive ability is low as well. That being said, I took a Kaplan practice MCAT and got a pretty awful score. Like REALLY awful performance. I reviewed non Kaplan (just independently with books and stuff over concepts I got wrong and took the longest to wiggle through), and took a third party full length test and got a 34 this time (MUCH improvement), the splits were 13 PS, 11 VR, 10 BS. Then, I took AAMC 3 after reviewing more books and I was kinda shocked. Splits were:

14 PS, 13 VR, 13 BS. I found the VR to be too easy. The BS had little bio, and could be reasoned almost 90% via passage. PS was standard procedure for me. So my confidence meter is kinda confused now. Actually, very confused.

So, I'm confused...I've heard the consensus that AAMC 3 is hella easy, but more research shows that the majority of the people who got X score on AAMC usually average +/- 3 points on their MCAT. I'm going to take upper echelon AAMC's like 5, 6, etc. very soon after I do some brief review on anatomy and physiology (that's all I missed on the BS section) tomorrow.

So, how easy was AAMC 3 and what was your AAMC 3/Real MCAT score? I'm confused if it's AAMC 3 or my personal psychology....or both. I don't "feel" like I've actually learned any new content. Like I couldn't give a lecture about any topic tbh (don't know if it's cause I'm introverted or what.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Awesome score. I got a 35 on AAMC3 and a 35 on AAMC11, and 11 was much harder. If anything, you'll get around the same score or higher by the time you take the real deal. The only different will be the passages are more about experiments and whatnot. Verbal difficult on the real deal is longer to read but mostly easy questions. Keep it up! You'll do great

@frank1frank

Impressive AAMC 3 score. I've taken most of the AAMC FLs and I didn't find #3 to be that much "easier" than the others. I've scored around the same for AAMC 3 as I have for the other exams.

It seems like you are already well prepared to score 36+ (and possibly higher) on the real thing.

AAMC is equivalent to any other AAMC in my opinion.

I got a 37 on 3 and a 39 on 11...

So 3 is not "easier" as some people seem to think.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
3 isn't easier in respect to the questions, but the passages are quite literally the easiest you'll ever see.

Response to title: Real MCAT exams vary just like practice tests vary.

If you have not done so already, and you have time, visit the threads on this forum for specific MCAT dates, like September 10, September 12th, etc. You will find that there is usually a prevalent opinion about which sections were easier and harder. For example on one test date, most people might find PS easier than usual, VR normal and BS hard; on a different test date, most people might find PS hard, VR easy, and BS normal. Additionally, people will speak vaguely about unusual features of the test, examples: passages were longer or shorter, more data interpretation than usual, only one OC passage, calculation heavy, etc. These comment will NOT be the same for every single real MCAT.

So, how a practice test compares to the "real MCAT," at least in part, depends on which real MCAT you get.

Consider it a good sign that you scored well on AAMC 3, as long as you continually do about that well on future AAMC practice exams I would expect around that score on the real MCAT. It is true that most people score within a few points of their AAMC practice average and it is also true that most people (from my reading) find the real MCAT more difficult than the practice exams--at least one section of it, anyways.

I took 3 around two weeks before my MCAT and scored a 10/12/10. Real MCAT: 10/10/11. Verbal might be easier, but I think it's a fairly accurate gauge all around. After studying, just be sure to take the other tests like you planned to. I got my exact average on the exam.

my friend said she took 3,4, and 7 and they were just like the real one she took in aug