How am I doing so far? -sophomore

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hopefulpremed123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!
I was hoping anyone can give me some insight as to how I am doing in school so far.

I am currently a 2nd year student at a community college and my gpa is a 3.82 overall and 3.72 science gpa. Here are the prerequisites I finished so far:

Gen Chem 1: B
Gen Chem 2: A
Calculus 1: A
Calculus 2: A
Statistics: A
Bio 1: A
Bio 2: A
Ochem 1: A
Ochem 2: B
Physics 1: A
Physics 2: B

I will be attending Duke next fall to continue my education. So I will still have biochem and upper divs left to take!

Not sure if it matters but the B in ochem 2, physics 2 I received due to taking those two classes and bio and statistics this semester. This sadly was the semester I was diagnosed with tinnitus. But no excuse there, I knew it was a tough load before taking them.

So first semester of college I got a 3.7 gpa with a B in gen Chem, and I got 4.0 all way until this semester.
@gonnif
@LizzyM
@WedgeDawg
@Goro
@Catalystik
@gyngyn
Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello!
I was hoping anyone can give me some insight as to how I am doing in school so far.

I am currently a 2nd year student at a community college and my gpa is a 3.82 overall and 3.72 science gpa. Here are the prerequisites I finished so far:

I will be attending Duke next fall to continue my education. So I will still have biochem and upper divs left to take!

Not sure if it matters but the B in ochem 2, physics 2 I received due to taking those two classes and bio and statistics this semester. This sadly was the semester I was diagnosed with tinnitus. But no excuse there, I knew it was a tough load before taking them.

So first semester of college I got a 3.7 gpa with a B in gen Chem, and I got 4.0 all way until this semester.

Thanks!

Grade wise you're doing well, just make sure to continue to do so when at Duke and expect the courses to be tougher than the ones you've experienced at community college.

Make sure you also build your ECs, i.e. shadowing, research, clinical volunteering, general volunteering, etc.

Grade wise you're doing well, just make sure to continue to do so when at Duke and expect the courses to be tougher than the ones you've experienced at community college.

Make sure you also build your ECs, i.e. shadowing, research, clinical volunteering, general volunteering, etc.
Thanks man! Im so bummed out because like i said I got a B in ochem2, Physics 2 cuz i took it with Bio and stats this semester. Before that I had a 3.9 gap and a 3.88 science but two B;s drop it. However, it was at least in part due to the diagnosis. My semesters breakdown is: 3.7, 4.0,4.0, 3.5.

the two semesters i got a 4.0, I also did three sciences/math classes.

Im worried about the trend!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks man! Im so bummed out because like i said I got a B in ochem2, Physics 2 cuz i took it with Bio and stats this semester. Before that I had a 3.9 gap and a 3.88 science but two B;s drop it. However, it was at least in part due to the diagnosis. My semesters breakdown is: 3.7, 4.0,4.0, 3.5.

the two semesters i got a 4.0, I also did three sciences/math classes.

Im worried about the trend!

I wouldn't worry or stress about it too much, you've got a solid GPA, just make sure to maintain it around 3.6 or higher. Also just know that slow and steady wins the race, though it's cliche, it's true - take your time, don't overload your schedule and just make sure to do well in your courses. What's the difference between finishing in 4 years or 5 years if the end goal is to be a physician? Though you do know yourself better than I do, so also take that into consideration. As for the trend, just makes sure you maintain an 'upward' trend for your last 60 hours of college - the you that you are in two years (junior/senior year) is not exactly reflective of your entire college career, so that has weight as well.

I wouldn't worry or stress about it too much, you've got a solid GPA, just make sure to maintain it around 3.6 or higher. Also just know that slow and steady wins the race, though it's cliche, it's true - take your time, don't overload your schedule and just make sure to do well in your courses. What's the difference between finishing in 4 years or 5 years if the end goal is to be a physician? Though you do know yourself better than I do, so also take that into consideration. As for the trend, just makes sure you maintain an 'upward' trend for your last 60 hours of college - the you that you are in two years (junior/senior year) is not exactly reflective of your entire college career, so that has weight as well.

Depending on the situation, possibly tens of thousands of dollars that not all students have.

Depending on the situation, possibly tens of thousands of dollars that not all students have.

True, but is that not an investment worth making for your future? This is coming from a student who has personally taken out a fair amount of loans.

True, but is that not an investment worth making for your future? This is coming from a student who has personally taken out a fair amount of loans.
I think that for many students, it would be unreasonable to spend tens of thousands of dollars with the purpose of improving chances at an acceptance that is still not guaranteed. This is especially true if you are spending money in order to avoid taking a full-time course load at a four year college, which may get an odd look from adcoms.

I'm not gonna lie bro. You MIGHT be able to get into a Carribean school.

Reactions: 3 users
You know being premed is not easy, and a lot of us are super stressed out regarding if we're even going to make it. I know the jokes are meant to be in good fun, but it's not cool at all. I'm here looking for some advice, as to how I am doing and if I need to change.

Reactions: 1 user
You know being premed is not easy, and a lot of us are super stressed out regarding if we're even going to make it. I know the jokes are meant to be in good fun, but it's not cool at all. I'm here looking for some advice, as to how I am doing and if I need to change.

The take away should be that you're in a fairly good position to be in, grade wise. Just make sure that you decorate your application with your extracurriculars (i.e. obtain clinical experience, help the lesser fortunate, research (if that's your thing), etc.) Remember that being involved consistently over a period of time is better than doing all your hours in a span of a few months.

When it comes time to apply, just make sure to get started on the application early and apply smart and broadly.

I think that for many students, it would be unreasonable to spend tens of thousands of dollars with the purpose of improving chances at an acceptance that is still not guaranteed. This is especially true if you are spending money in order to avoid taking a full-time course load at a four year college, which may get an odd look from adcoms.

Trust me, getting consistent grades (A's across the board) and having taken an extra semester or two in your undergrad puts you in a much better position than finishing in four years and having a more blemished transcript. That being said, students differ in terms of success rate and may or may not need the accelerated or slower-paced undergraduate education, so at the end of the day it's their choice. I just mentioned it because the OP was making the transition from community college to a Top 20 university, so the courses are bound to get harder. I just provided what I thought was useful advice to ensure that the OP would have the highest success rate when applying to medical school.

Also note that going to medical school is a privilege and not a right - nothing guarantees your acceptance into a medical school, so you, yourself, along with your work ethic must pave the way for your future as a physician.

Trust me, getting consistent grades (A's across the board) and having taken an extra semester or two in your undergrad puts you in a much better position than finishing in four years and having a more blemished transcript. That being said, students differ in terms of success rate and may or may not need the accelerated or slower-paced undergraduate education, so at the end of the day it's their choice. I just mentioned it because the OP was making the transition from community college to a Top 20 university, so the courses are bound to get harder. I just provided what I thought was useful advice to ensure that the OP would have the highest success rate when applying to medical school.

Also note that going to medical school is a privilege and not a right - nothing guarantees your acceptance into a medical school, so you, yourself, along with your work ethic must pave the way for your future as a physician.

Wait so am I in a bad position regarding my gpa?

Members don't see this ad :)
@Hopefulpremed123 ... your GPA seems fine - so continue to do well in your upper-division courses at Duke, add in meaningful ECs, and ace the MCAT.

Just to be on the safe side: it is advisable to check MSAR to make sure the medical schools (to which you plan to apply) accept your community college credits. Most probably do, but still check MSAR ahead of time.

Keep up the good work ... and the very best of success to you!

Wait so am I in a bad position regarding my gpa?

No, I was just trying to mention that courses were going to get harder since you're going from a community college rigor to a Top-20 university. Just make sure you continue to do well!

I went to a community college as well. I will be blunt here. My dad knows a guy who was the head of admissions at a top 20 med school. The guy flat out said his school doesn't even look at people that went to community colleges. At Duke you need to do well at Biochem and Genetics. Since you took a lot of pre reqs at a CC.

So far, you are doing good (GPA wise). Since you took most of your pre-reqs at a community college, make sure you ace your science courses at Duke.

What ECs do you have?

Extracurricular wise I fell I am doing alright. My worry is my gpa to be honest because I am at a cc. I was doing really well with a 3.93 and a 3.88 science before this semester. However I took ochem 2, physics 2, stats, and bio together. I ended with B's in ochem and physics. This was also due to my diagnosis of tinnitus.

I went to a community college as well. I will be blunt here. My dad knows a guy who was the head of admissions at a top 20 med school. The guy flat out said his school doesn't even look at people that went to community colleges.
Identify the school and we'll see it it holds water or not.

Hello!

@gonnif
@LizzyM
@WedgeDawg
@Goro
@Catalystik
@gyngyn
Thanks!

oh lawd, child! You better be URM if you want to get in.

Reactions: 1 users
Can someone please give me some legit advice, I'm worried because I'm coming from a CC and there is bias. I didn't get a 4.0so that's my worry.

Can someone please give me some legit advice, I'm worried because I'm coming from a CC and there is bias. I didn't get a 4.0so that's my worry.

Dude. YOU ARE FINE! You are silly to think a 4.0 is needed. Chill. Ok!? Honestly it doesn't matter that you didn't get 4.0... UNC med school dean said, " being smart is easy, but being genuinely nice is hard to find." Remember be nice and not stressed. Besides very few are able to transfer to Duke. Nice job.

You should be more concerned about your upcoming semesters. Looking forward, Duke's going to be more difficult than your community college, so my advice is to choose your classes wisely and crack down immediately. IK people give Duke, and Harvard and Brown, a hard time for grade inflation but I'd be stunned if it wasn't harder than a CC.

I know that I don't need a 4.0 to get in haha. It's just coming from a cc and having the impression of it being easier and in turn not getting a 4.0 is worrisome. However, I took three sciences and a ge every semester and had a 3.9 prior to this semester where I took ochem 2, physics 2, bio 2 and stats. Having been diagnosed with tinnitus and an insane load just was too stressful for me and I ended up with B's in ochem and physics which brought my gpa down. It's rather unfortunate to be honest, because I worked insanely hard the past two years to get my gpa to where it is.

@Goro what is your perspective?

Last edited:
It's just coming from a cc and having the impression of it being easier and in turn not getting a 4.0 is worrisome.

It's really not though. Duke doesn't take transfers whose performance is "worrisome."

It's really not though. Duke doesn't take transfers whose performance is "worrisome."

I am truly grateful for duke for accepting me! I was actually referring to med school perspective. I know some do have a stigma against community colleges. However, my gpa does start over though after transferring. So that's my concern :(

Last edited:
You know you don't need a 4.0 GPA. You know trend matters. So your major takeaway from all those comments should be: do the best you can from here on out. You can get advice on how your GPA should be at least XXX or you need YYY in each class, but the advice isn't going to get you good grades. Your effort and trying your best in whatever you choose to take or do will get you there. What's done is done and it's all water under the bridge.

How are you standing right now? Good GPA-wise.
Will you get into medical school with your current GPA? You're a sophomore, so hard to tell. Come backafter the second semester of junior year when you actually take the harder upper division courses.
How are you going to do in the future? That's up to you.

I am truly grateful for duke for accepting me! I was actually referring to med school perspective. I know some do have a stigma against community colleges. However, my gpa does start over though after transferring. So that's my concern :(

Your Duke GPA will start over, but that really only matters for Latin Honors. All college courses will be part of your AMCAS GPA (although I'm guessing med schools will care much more about four year GPA, which you probably already know).

Many posters in this thread have given you legitimate advice. Your GPA is good right now, but right now does not matter; what matters is your AMCAS GPA at the end of this process in combination with your MCAT score. My suggestion is that if you are currently anxious about how you will stack up, purchase the MSAR (a worthwhile investment) and look at all of the medical schools (not just top medical schools that you've already heard of) to see how your grades stack up and see how your performance will need to progress and what MCAT score you will need to combine with it to procure a spot in a US MD school.

If you can get your GPA up you could give yourself a fighters chance to get in medical school. Think about why you got the grades that you did. Maybe find more effective ways to study? Do you procrastinate? Don't lose hope.

Bump!

Your GPA is at or above the median GPA of accepted students. That is litterally all you need to know.

Reactions: 2 users
Why are you bumping. Let this slide. You have already got your answers.

Bump!

I'm going to repost my answer as my advice still stands.

Many posters in this thread have given you legitimate advice. Your GPA is good right now, but right now does not matter; what matters is your AMCAS GPA at the end of this process in combination with your MCAT score. My suggestion is that if you are currently anxious about how you will stack up, purchase the MSAR (a worthwhile investment) and look at all of the medical schools (not just top medical schools that you've already heard of) to see how your grades stack up and see how your performance will need to progress and what MCAT score you will need to combine with it to procure a spot in a US MD school.

I'm going to repost my answer as my advice still stands.

Thanks for this man. Like overall I have a 3.83 gpa and a 3.72 sconce gpa. I know this is alright, but my main worry is that it was at a cc. Plus, until last semester I had a 3.93 gpa, taking three sciences(ochem 2, physics 2, bio 2) and a ge really hurt me :/. I'm just feeling quite down cuz of that, prior to this sem I had only one B, now I have 3.

Bruh chill out Lmfao. You took a "heavy" course load and didn't do too well and that's the end of the story. You can't change that. What you can do is go to Duke next yr and kill it.

Thanks for this man. Like overall I have a 3.83 gpa and a 3.72 sconce gpa. I know this is alright, but my main worry is that it was at a cc. Plus, until last semester I had a 3.93 gpa, taking three sciences(ochem 2, physics 2, bio 2) and a ge really hurt me :/. I'm just feeling quite down cuz of that, prior to this sem I had only one B, now I have 3.

Buy the MSAR. It's $15, and it will ease your mind about getting into some medical school.

382 can be top 5% or bottom 5% depending on the MCAT. Just a minor caution. I personally don't like to see someone say .. because I took 3 sciences is why I got x gpa. It may come off as deflecting responsibility for the choice. A few b s in tough courses is reasonable. Just please be sure to know the content so that you do well when you do the MCAT. GL.

I went to a community college as well. I will be blunt here. My dad knows a guy who was the head of admissions at a top 20 med school. The guy flat out said his school doesn't even look at people that went to community colleges. At Duke you need to do well at Biochem and Genetics. Since you took a lot of pre reqs at a CC.

Has to be an unusual exception or wrong or old information

Has to be an unusual exception or wrong or old information

The guy retired which is why i said "was". OP if you type into Google, "Do med schools look down on community colleges you will see other stories or reasons why CC are looked down upon. You must do well on your remaining prerequisite at Duke so then most schools hopefully won't count taking many science prerequisites at a CC against you.

Last edited:
Cc not any problem per se. Just study well b4 the Mcats in case there is any content gap. Should be able to find stats on cc to 4 year to md

OP needs to buy MSAR and make sure that the medical schools he applies to accept his community college pre reqs. I had to do the same thing.