Mar 22, 2010
Status
Second semester sophomore at a highly selective liberal arts college.
Major: Biology
Home State: NH
Cumulative GPA: 3.512
Science GPA: 3.4125 (Math an Physics hurt it, with just Bio and Chem it would be 3.675)
Non-Science GPA: 3.69

Extracurricular:
College Radio Station Engineer
College Radio Station DJ since Freshman Year
Founder and Director of College's Fishing Club
Director of Habitat for Humanity Campus Chapter
Director of College's Alternative Spring Break Program (Huge commitment)
2 semesters of scientific research during the school year
Research internship at Harvard Med. this summer

How am I doing so far? If I kept things steady would I have a chance at schools? Obviously I am trying to improve, so what should I work on?

Thanks in advance.

May 13, 2009
NJ
Status
Pre-Medical
You're fine. Don't worry. All you need is clinical experience, shadowing and to ace the MCAT next year. I would recommend buying the MSAR this year to plan which schools you want to apply to.

bravofleet4

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 17, 2009
Status
Medical Student
actually i think the gpa is just a tad low. try to earn strong grades in your junior year. AIM for a GPA 3.6+. don't buy the MSAR this year but next year. trust me, there is no need to form a list of schools yet when you haven't even taken the mcat yet. it determine a large part of your competitiveness. otherwise, i agree with Mediterranean about the other things you can work on in the meantime to improve your app.

Sep 4, 2006
Inside the tesseract
The average applicant has 1.5 years of clinical experience when they apply. At this point there is nothing about your ECs that suggests that you have an interest in medicine and have been testing it as a vocation through the experiences of patient contact and shadowing physicians. Your Ecs are otherwise good and your leadership particularly strong. I'd urge you to start volunteering or working in a clinical environment as soon as possible, as regular weekly activity is preferred (including during the summer research gig). For the shadowing, regular interaction isn't necessary and you can get the needed hours in over summers and breaks. For that you'd want to aim at 60-80 hours split among 2-3 types of physician (of which one should be in primary care).

I agree your GPAs need to come up. If you aren't likely to get a strong MCAT score to compensate, then wait for another year of GPA improvement before applying at the end of your senior year. Median cGPA for acceptees is 3.65.

robflanker

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 17, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Agreed with Cat and Bravo.

Your GPA is a little on the low side (avg being cGPA 3.65) but you can make up for that with a good strong MCAT. But seen as no-one can count on that you should raise your GPA as high as you can get it.

As Cat mentioned there is no clinical experience or shadowing - which you will need

Mar 22, 2010
Status
Thanks for the responses so far. A few addition questions:

-Does it matter when I do the shadowing? Should I spread it out over the next two years or would it be ok to get it all this summer?

-The study abroad program I am considering for next year will have a clinical portion. Will this tine count toward my clinical experience even though it is outside the US?

Narmerguy

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2007
Thanks for the responses so far. A few addition questions:

-Does it matter when I do the shadowing? Should I spread it out over the next two years or would it be ok to get it all this summer?

-The study abroad program I am considering for next year will have a clinical portion. Will this tine count toward my clinical experience even though it is outside the US?
The earlier you start shadowing and showing sustained interest in medicine (rather than a short burst of activity) the better it well reflect on you.

The clinical portion abroad will help support your application but it is not a substitute for clinical experience in the US.

Sep 4, 2006
Inside the tesseract
The clinical portion abroad will help support your application but it is not a substitute for clinical experience in the US.
I agree with this. Surely there's a local nursing home (easiest to get into quickly, IMO), clinic (free, low-income, family-planning, VA, private office), hospital, or hospice you can call right now and ask about volunteer positions.

And it's fine to get the shadowing done within a short period of time.