How am I Doing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Revive

Muffin Man
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Currently a sophomore at Rutgers applying to the BA/MD program at RWJMS this summer 2013. Will do the normal 2014-2015 cycle if it doesn't work out. I was wondering how my stats and ECs looked so far. I'm hoping for a 34+MCAT and will not apply if I don't get at least a 32 or higher. Appreciation for comments in advance.

EDUCATION
Rutgers University SAS
Cell Biology and Neuroscience and Psychology double major
Current cGPA: 4.00
Current sGPA: 4.00

HONORS & AWARDS
-Full Ride (Presidential Scholarship)
-Research Fellow Fall 2012-Spring 2013 (it's a grant you apply for, I got $1700 towards my research for the year)
The poster presentations I will be doing this Spring (prospective)
-Poster Presentation at Annual Symposium Spring 2013 (for the $1700 grant)
-Poster Presentation at EPA Spring 2013 (psychological society)
-Honors Program
-Alpha Epsilon Delta Member

RESEARCH EXPERIENCE:
Freshman year spring – Present: Research Assistant in behavioral neuroscience lab studying cocaine addiction and natural reward (15 hours a week during the semester and 30-35hrs/wk during Summer 2012

LEADERSHIP/EC's
July 2011 (before I was even a Rutgers student officially) - present
-Pre-Health Journal Secretary: I had a huge role in the E-Board and did more than just typical Secretary duties. Basically was the right hand man of the Editor-in-Chief since we were fairly close.

2011-present
Best Buddies Treasurer: A service organization pairing people with cognitive disabilities with college students to form friendships.

2011-present
-Cell Biology and Neuroscience Society Treasurer: Essentially ran the organization since the President would always ask me for advice and follow whatever ideas I had.

2012-present
Honors Program Honors Ambassador
-Basically attended Scholars Day for incoming honors students twice (annual thing) and assisted incoming students with questions regarding housing, majors, community resources.

Spring 2012
Honors Program Honors Tutor
Created availability for tutoring in a variety of subjects including Chemistry, Calculus, and Biology

May 2012-Present
Honors Program Honors Peer Mentor
Guided and gave advice to an incoming freshman on any questions or concerns with Rutgers, applying to medical school, preferred classes, as well as deciding a major

MEDICAL EXPERIENCE
2012-2013
- Hospital Volunteering in ER (currently around 50hrs, expecting 110-120hrs by end of summer 2013)

2011-present
-Technician and Scribe at ophthalmology clinic (very meaningful activity)
Volunteered and then worked as a technician and scribe in an ophthalmology practice for 7 hrs/wk during school year and nearly every day during winter break. I performed and explained diagnostic eye tests on patients, measured prescription glasses, performed history and acquired vision measurements of patients. I also provided contact lens training to patients, managed front desk and insurances for patients, answered phone calls, expedited patient exams, filed patient cases, and shadowed and scribed for ophthalmologists and optometrists. Learned how to write prescriptions and was able to observe ophthalmologist perform surgery and outpatient procedures at clinic.

Winter Break 2012
- Shadowing Neurosurgeon (24 hours)
- Shadowing Primary Care and Concierge Physician 60 hours

COMMUNITY SERVICE
2011-2012 Volunteer in Free clinic
- Read to children at free clinic in waiting room (30hrs)

SPECIAL PROGRAMS
- Global Medical Brigade Summer 2012 to Honduras

Members don't see this ad.

Currently a sophomore at Rutgers applying to the BA/MD program at RWJMS this summer 2013. Will do the normal 2014-2015 cycle if it doesn't work out. I was wondering how my stats and ECs looked so far. I'm hoping for a 34+MCAT and will not apply if I don't get at least a 32 or higher. Appreciation for comments in advance.

EDUCATION
Rutgers University SAS
Cell Biology and Neuroscience and Psychology double major
Current cGPA: 4.00
Current sGPA: 4.00

HONORS & AWARDS
-Full Ride (Presidential Scholarship)
-Research Fellow Fall 2012-Spring 2013 (it's a grant you apply for, I got $1700 towards my research for the year)
The poster presentations I will be doing this Spring (prospective)
-Poster Presentation at Annual Symposium Spring 2013 (for the $1700 grant)
-Poster Presentation at EPA Spring 2013 (psychological society)
-Honors Program
-Alpha Epsilon Delta Member

RESEARCH EXPERIENCE:
Freshman year spring – Present: Research Assistant in behavioral neuroscience lab studying cocaine addiction and natural reward (15 hours a week during the semester and 30-35hrs/wk during Summer 2012

LEADERSHIP/EC's
July 2011 (before I was even a Rutgers student officially) - present
-Pre-Health Journal Secretary: I had a huge role in the E-Board and did more than just typical Secretary duties. Basically was the right hand man of the Editor-in-Chief since we were fairly close.

2011-present
Best Buddies Treasurer: A service organization pairing people with cognitive disabilities with college students to form friendships.

2011-present
-Cell Biology and Neuroscience Society Treasurer: Essentially ran the organization since the President would always ask me for advice and follow whatever ideas I had.

2012-present
Honors Program Honors Ambassador
-Basically attended Scholars Day for incoming honors students twice (annual thing) and assisted incoming students with questions regarding housing, majors, community resources.

Spring 2012
Honors Program Honors Tutor
Created availability for tutoring in a variety of subjects including Chemistry, Calculus, and Biology

May 2012-Present
Honors Program Honors Peer Mentor
Guided and gave advice to an incoming freshman on any questions or concerns with Rutgers, applying to medical school, preferred classes, as well as deciding a major

MEDICAL EXPERIENCE
2012-2013
- Hospital Volunteering in ER (currently around 50hrs, expecting 110-120hrs by end of summer 2013)

2011-present
-Technician and Scribe at ophthalmology clinic (very meaningful activity)
Volunteered and then worked as a technician and scribe in an ophthalmology practice for 7 hrs/wk during school year and nearly every day during winter break. I performed and explained diagnostic eye tests on patients, measured prescription glasses, performed history and acquired vision measurements of patients. I also provided contact lens training to patients, managed front desk and insurances for patients, answered phone calls, expedited patient exams, filed patient cases, and shadowed and scribed for ophthalmologists and optometrists. Learned how to write prescriptions and was able to observe ophthalmologist perform surgery and outpatient procedures at clinic.

Winter Break 2012
- Shadowing Neurosurgeon (24 hours)
- Shadowing Primary Care and Concierge Physician 60 hours

COMMUNITY SERVICE
2011-2012 Volunteer in Free clinic
- Read to children at free clinic in waiting room (30hrs)

SPECIAL PROGRAMS
- Global Medical Brigade Summer 2012 to Honduras
It all looks very good to me. If you are ambitious and change your mind about the BA/MD, I think you could potentially do well applying to the more selective, research-oriented med schools (aka "Top Schools").

It all looks very good to me. If you are ambitious and change your mind about the BA/MD, I think you could potentially do well applying to the more selective, research-oriented med schools (aka "Top Schools").

Agreed. With your stats/experiences it is silly to lock yourself into one place, especially one that really isn't that stellar.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you see any thing I can improve upon or anything missing? I plan on doing a paid teaching job during the fall 2013 for minorities and a hospital shadowing program to cinch the medical experience. I feel like I'm lacking on volunteering but hoping my clinical experience compensates. I will continue the journal and cbn society positions junior year. I will become the editor-in-chief for examiner in the fall. As for the clinic, I'll continue during this winter break 2013 since I have been there a lot but don't have time to continue in the Fall 2013.

I'm studying for MCATs this summer and taking in September 2013(following SN2ed schedule to a T), research, and the hospital volunteering. Can't do much else since I'll be applying to BA/MD as well. I'm applying because I do really want to go there due to proximity and if I become a doctor I want to practice in NJ.

Question: Do you guys think I have a chance during the AMCAS app for mid-tiers like UMDNJ, Jefferson, BU, etc? I'm not counting on top schools and not shooting for them as much but I'll still apply.

It looks like you are heading in the right direction. Nail that MCAT and I am sure you will be fine. Keep up the hard work and good luck!