How am I looking to apply next year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SliceNDice

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
From Northern CA, graduated from UCSB w/ BS in Biopsychology

cGPA 3.71 sGPA 3.62. I had a very strong upward grade trend with 3.5ish freshman year and 3.8ish the rest of the time through college.

MCAT: 513-128/127/127/131

Research: About 210 hrs as research assistant in behavioral endocrinology lab

Clinical shadowing: 72 hours of interning at dermatology practice, 19 hours of shadowing orthopedic surgeon in clinic and 7 hrs in OR. 400 hours of clinical and surgical shadowing in a variety of hospitals and clinics in Northern India (the Indian program was an intern abroad coordinated through University of Oregon where I attended at the time).

Volunteering: During summer of 2018 I’ll be a volunteer backpacking instructor for a non-profit called Big City Mountaineers. They take inner-city, low income youth on week-long backpacking expeditions. They focus on personal development, conflict resolution, communication, and leadership skills. By the end of the summer I should have roughly 425 hours with them. Also, the college outdoor club that I am part of does a good amount of volunteer work, including trail maintenance, beach cleanup, and putting on community events.

Extracurriculars: Volunteer trip leader for outdoor club at college including being on board of directors (4 years of involvement). Was a student with NOLS (national outdoor leadership school) in northern india, rural homestay, learning whitewater rafting guiding skills, 42 days backpacking in himalayas. I am also a semi-professional landscape, portrait, and travel photographer.

Employment: Camp counselor for two summers, outdoor adventure/ocean kayak guide, scribe/MA at primary care practice about 1700 hours (lots of patient interaction such as taking vitals, giving shots, running EKGs, ear lavages, etc). Now working for the summer as an expedition guide on a small cruise company in SE Alaska taking people hiking, kayaking, bushwhacking etc.

hSNgXC08mBupY8XJTxMEF84tilHt4XcuwiMpssn0lSvEifGGjWXdNuMi6WDrrAX31D9l5E1d6IAhfYIkPbM2r0FcuTD0fTOv-noROI021Of8DNCS4IvQsKlH8UONuua11IzDIxQM

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I suggest you accumulate 200+ clinical volunteering hours before you apply next year. Are you looking for a list of schools to apply to ?

I suggest you accumulate 200+ clinical volunteering hours before you apply next year. Are you looking for a list of schools to apply to ?

Not particularly but I guess that would be nice if you have ideas