How AMCAS calculates grades

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shkaun

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was reading this AMCAS PDF and it said grades with + are n.3 and - are n.7, (so an A- would be 3.7,) but they didn't say anything about a A+ not being a 4.3. Could this be that they count A+ as a 4.3 to factor it in?

Members don't see this ad.

I was reading this AMCAS PDF and it said grades with + are n.3 and - are n.7, (so an A- would be 3.7,) but they didn't say anything about a A+ not being a 4.3. Could this be that they count A+ as a 4.3 to factor it in?

Like Robbizzle said. No. A+ is only 4.0

Members don't see this ad :)
ditto (A+ is also generally not factored into undergrad GPA as 4.3, usually it's 4.0).

It's important to note that they also calculate your BCPM (Bio, Chem, Phys, Math) GPA and you can look up which of your classes qualify in those categories on the AMCAS website. So you'll have two GPA breakdowns...one non-BCPM, and one BCPM

What kind of schools give out A+s, or much less count them as a 4.3? My goodness, it's like back in high school when some laughable schools graded AP and honors courses on a 5.0 scale and kids start going on about their 4.4 GPA. I always wonder, what the hell does a 4.4 GPA even mean?