How appropriate would it be to talk about this in an interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
L

LoveBeingHuman:)

Long story short, my boss in pretty bad. I end up having to do things again because he forgot to tell me something important, and he has bad communication skills. Eventually, I learned very valuable skills regarding using my resources carefully, and decision making in tough situations in which I didn't know what to do.

I will, of course, focus on how I've grown if I choose to talk about this. However, is a topic like this considered inappropriate?

Members don't see this ad.

Just make sure you clean up your wording so that it doesn't come off as if you disregard what he says, or that you make decisions on the spot/weren't told to do. I could see this playing out well if you you craft your wording in the right way.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

As u talk, if you feel you can apply this info in a relevant fashion then ask. Don't bring it up out of nowhere.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't. Can't you think of literally any other example? Why take a risk like this when you don't have to?

I don't think it's that bad. Most can sympathize with having a bad boss tbh

It always comes down to how well you can spin it to show characteristics they want (leadership, empathy, resourcefulness, etc.)

Personally, I'd never say anything in an interview that amounts to speaking negatively about another person.

Reactions: 3 users
Just make sure you don't come off bad mouthing your previous supervisor or boss which is not appropriate in any circumstances. Even if they were the worst boss in the world it will always reflect badly on your character since you are the one being interviewed. For example, don't say your boss has bad communication skills as even this can be seen as "trash talking". Keep things objective. He forgot to give you a vital piece of information, keep it at that. You already have the right idea of how to spin it. Keep the conversation focused on you and how you've learned and matured from this experience, not about your mediocre boss. I would bounce what you might say off of some else.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

You could use this as an example of how you coped in difficult situations or how you managed an area of conflict or disagreement with another person or when working as part of a team. However....

Use "I" statements and describe how you felt and how you coped and how you overcame whatever hardships you experienced on your job. Don't attack the other party or bad mouth them. Make it all about how you felt and how you acted in response to circumstances.

Reactions: 1 user