How are GPAs calculated?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chris127

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am obviously no math major (nor do I have an affinity for math), so could someone help me out here?

I am doing poorly now in my freshman semester, around 2.6-3.0ish. I proceeded to calculate what my GPA would be in 4 years by simply calculating my GPA each semester, adding them up, and dividing by the number of semesters. I understand this is entirely wrong, as my roomate pointed out.

Anyone know how to properly calculate a GPA?

Members don't see this ad.

# of Hours x grade equals grade points.

Sum grade points / sum hours.

If you took the same hours every semester your calculation would work.

Members don't see this ad :)
Chris127 said:
I am obviously no math major (nor do I have an affinity for math), so could someone help me out here?

I am doing poorly now in my freshman semester, around 2.6-3.0ish. I proceeded to calculate what my GPA would be in 4 years by simply calculating my GPA each semester, adding them up, and dividing by the number of semesters. I understand this is entirely wrong, as my roomate pointed out.

Anyone know how to properly calculate a GPA?

it goes by the number of credits u take each semester/quarter. I only know the quarter system so il give u a exmaple:

Generally the grading scale is :
A 4.0
A- 3.7
B+ 3.3
B 3.0
B- 2.7
C+ 2.3
C 2.0
C- 1.7
D+ 1.3
D 1
D- .3

so lets say u take a 5 credit class, a 4 credits class and a 3 credit class

lets say u get a A- in the 5 cr class, a C in the 4 cr class and a B in the 3 cr class,

so your gpa will be (5 * 3.7 + 4 * 2.0 + 3*3.0) / (5 + 4 + 3)

that comes out to be a 2.95

its basically the credit your class is worth times your grade in the class divided by the number of credits the class is worth, they just keep adding your classes and credits each term to get your culm. gpa.

I wouldnt worry too much right now since your starting out. it takes a while to get into the swing of things. Just try your best!

At my school, A+'s don't count for more than 4 points (on a 4.0 scale). I have heard that you have to enter your grades on the AMCAS, but are you asked to (re-)calculate your GPA, and if so, are A+'s given more points than A's?

premedbruin said:
At my school, A+'s don't count for more than 4 points (on a 4.0 scale). I have heard that you have to enter your grades on the AMCAS, but are you asked to (re-)calculate your GPA, and if so, are A+'s given more points than A's?

NO.

Candy-ass schools, giving out "A+"s.........