How are my ECs? Are they the problem?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blackmamba24

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I submitted my app back in Sept and am not getting any love.... just wanted to see what you thought about my ECs and if they might be the potential problem in my app? Thanks!

Research: ~2 years of molecular bio/cancer research at a reputable school
of medicine
w/o any publications but various presentations

Shadowing: ~50 hours shadowing over 4 doctors in different specialties

Volunteering: ~150 hours in different hospitals

Active Member of 2 Pre-Med clubs

IM Sports

Couple small volunteering events around campus

all the random national honor societies that really dont mean much (golden key, ALD PES, phi eta sigma)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I submitted my app back in Sept and am not getting any love.... just wanted to see what you thought about my ECs and if they might be the potential problem in my app? Thanks!

Research: ~2 years of molecular bio/cancer research at a reputable school
of medicine
w/o any publications but various presentations

Shadowing: ~50 hours shadowing over 4 doctors in different specialties

Volunteering: ~150 hours in different hospitals

Active Member of 2 Pre-Med clubs

IM Sports

Couple small volunteering events around campus

all the random national honor societies that really dont mean much (golden key, ALD PES, phi eta sigma)
I don't have your full application but it could be a bunch of things.
gpa
mcat
personal statement issues
lors

Hi, I submitted my app back in Sept

Do you mean your primary application, if so that may be the problem.
Was your app (primary or secondaries) complete at the beginning/middle/end of September? A lot of schools take several weeks to months to get to people's application so it is possible your app has not been looked at yet.

I do not think your EC's will keep you out of med school if your other numbers are strong.

You didn't detail your clinical experience. How many hospitals did you work in? Which departments. Over what period of time? Did you have face-to-face interactions with patients that you described sufficiently to allow adcomms to get the impression that you know what doctoring is all about?