How are my EC's so far?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheEugenius

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I haven't begun doing much for my EC's, but during my high school years I've done a few things here and there. They include:

-Graduated from RCM grade 10 piano (2014), RCM history 2 (2013), RCM basic rudiments (2009) (I think year 3) with honours, RCM harmony 2 (2011). Also took 2 years of guitar lessons.

-Earned a Black Belt from Martial Arts in 2011, Tong Moo Do

-Worked as a waiter for over 500 hours at an all you can eat

-Volunteered at a fitness centre for 42 hours (helping at front desk, taking pool tests, organizing files, etc...)

-Volunteered at a library helping kids learn to read for ~18 hours, as well as solely supervised events for kids

I still have 2 more years before I apply to medical school, and I'm planning on volunteering at hospitals and retirement homes this summer, as well as earning a first aid certificate. I'm also planning on doing research in my University next year, as this year I'm going to be primarily focused on my MCAT (I'm a second year student). Additionally, I have about a 3.96 GPA, but I'm sure that's going to drop this semester to like a 3.90 or so (I'll try to have a GPA above 3.87 for medical school).

Do my intentions sound sensible? And are my EC's so far good (what might be the most important missing EC's)?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your GPA is good. High school doesn't count for anything. Get started on clinical volunteering as soon as you can.

Reactions: 1 users
More volunteering and more clinical experience for sure. Personally, I could have gotten a black belt at age 14, so did you attend any competitions with that? otherwise idk how impressed the interviewers would be.

Members don't see this ad :)
High school doesn't count for anything. . . .
Unless you continue the same activities into the college years, like maybe when you are home on breaks.

Besides active clinical experience and research, you might consider adding some peer leadership and possibly a teaching experience (coaching, TA, tutor, mentor). And don't forget physician shadowing.

Your GPA is good. High school doesn't count for anything. Get started on clinical volunteering as soon as you can.

You can and should if you've continued a particular activity (e.g. volunteering at a hospital throughout high school and continuing to do so throughout undergrad). This can show long term commitment. OP, just by quickly glancing at what you have, it doesn't look like this applies to you. Maybe you can mention doing martial arts as one of your hobbies. Aside from that, try to start getting involved in things like clinical volunteering, shadowing, and even scribing if you have the time for it.

I haven't begun doing much for my EC's, but during my high school years I've done a few things here and there. They include:

-Graduated from RCM grade 10 piano (2014), RCM history 2 (2013), RCM basic rudiments (2009) (I think year 3) with honours, RCM harmony 2 (2011). Also took 2 years of guitar lessons.

-Earned a Black Belt from Martial Arts in 2011, Tong Moo Do

-Worked as a waiter for over 500 hours at an all you can eat

-Volunteered at a fitness centre for 42 hours (helping at front desk, taking pool tests, organizing files, etc...)

-Volunteered at a library helping kids learn to read for ~18 hours, as well as solely supervised events for kids

I still have 2 more years before I apply to medical school, and I'm planning on volunteering at hospitals and retirement homes this summer, as well as earning a first aid certificate. I'm also planning on doing research in my University next year, as this year I'm going to be primarily focused on my MCAT (I'm a second year student). Additionally, I have about a 3.96 GPA, but I'm sure that's going to drop this semester to like a 3.90 or so (I'll try to have a GPA above 3.87 for medical school).

Do my intentions sound sensible? And are my EC's so far good (what might be the most important missing EC's)?

Thanks!
While ECs in high school don't count, unless you actively continued them in college, you can still write about them in your secondaries. How did all those years of piano and Tong Moo Do shape your life, what did you learn other than music and martial arts? etc.

Do you have anything from undergrad? If not you really have no ECs! You've gotten lots of good advice here. Also include volunteering with those less fortunate than you-homeless shelters, soup kitchens, tutoring, habitat for humanity, etc.. You want to show your altruistic side.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Piano, guitar, martial arts, etc are all great to include in secondaries when they ask how you'll add to the diversity of the student body. They show you're not just a bump on a log who focused all their time checking off med school boxes.