How are P/NP viewed during the pandemic?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

YoungMoneyMint

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently taking 18 units in my penultimate semester of undergrad. I have a 3.87 (4.0 after my Freshman year), but I'm currently having problems with my mental health as a result of the pandemic/lockdown. I've been rebuilding my GPA since Freshman year, where I failed 2 classes with D's. As such, I'm thinking about P/NPing a class that's been giving me some trouble (Intro to R-programming), to protect the 4.0 that I've had since Freshman year. However, I first wanted to get some opinions on whether this would be advisable. My grade in the class is probably going to be a B/B+ if I work incredibly hard, and potentially sacrifice my grades in other classes.

Members don't see this ad.

Well, if you P/NP just 1 class while having grades in others, it's clear what you're trying to do. But P/NPing or even W'ing it from it this 1 time really isn't going to make a difference. Doing it consistently to salvage your GPA is what raises eyebrows.

I personally say P/NP it. It really won't make a difference in your application, especially so since it's a non-BCPM class, as long as you don't do it consistently (e.g. P/NPing a tough class every semester).

Reactions: 2 users
I'm currently taking 18 units in my penultimate semester of undergrad. I have a 3.87 (4.0 after my Freshman year), but I'm currently having problems with my mental health as a result of the pandemic/lockdown. I've been rebuilding my GPA since Freshman year, where I failed 2 classes with D's. As such, I'm thinking about P/NPing a class that's been giving me some trouble (Intro to R-programming), to protect the 4.0 that I've had since Freshman year. However, I first wanted to get some opinions on whether this would be advisable. My grade in the class is probably going to be a B/B+ if I work incredibly hard, and potentially sacrifice my grades in other classes.
Jeeze, people treat these thing like they're worse than Fs.

It just one class.

Reactions: 1 user