How are PCP's able to pay off their student loan debt?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

auburnO5

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
It seems like you would be 40 before a primary care doctor would be able to pay off his debt (assuming he/she entered medical school around 23ish). I really think I would enjoy it, I just don't know if it would be financially responsible.

Members don't see this ad.

Many hospitals are offering some kind of loan assistance for PCP I believe. I know a PCP who gets like 15k towards his student loan for each year he works with that hospital...something like that

Members don't see this ad :)
what kind of debt is that? 200,000 or 300,000. it looks like i'll be around 300,000 + but i dont' want to be forced into a higher paying specialty because of this.

There are PCP's positions at $200,000+ out there. One I know makes $340,000 working 50 hours/week. Yall worry too much.

i heard that too, but for places that are really underserved such as inner city or rural.

i heard that too, but for places that are really underserved such as inner city or rural.

Sweetness! That's were I always wanted to serve. There's never any action in suburban hospitals. They're just full of republicans who get a paper cuts and want 20 tests done. :laugh:

Last edited:
You consider Dallas, TX underserved?

Well never been there, so can't say for sure. you never said anything about dallas in the previous posts anyways. i was just sharing information i had heard from a medical student.