How are residencies ranked?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dbatman89

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
How are residencies ranked? I feel the current "rankings" are BS. The "top" schools are all "top" form historical purposes. Hopkins, UChicago, UWash, UMich, Duke, Stanford, etc....These schools generally get lots of research dollars and have high endowments. But what makes them "better" than other institutions? If I am interested in surgery or EM, or Peds, or ENT, How would i get "true, real, AUTHENTIC, current non-subjected and cliche" reviews and rankings?
For example Umich doesnt have a single ER that sees 100K+ annually but Wayne St/Henry Ford/DMC have like 4 or 5 of them together. You have to believe the docs in Detroit see more pts and perform more procedures that UMich residents/students/fellows. So how is UMich "better" just bc they are a cliche name and get more research dollars??? Is very hard to say Wayne State/DMC/Henry Ford docs/students arent as good as their UMich counterparts
All input is welcome.

Members don't see this ad.

It's hard to say for certain - some of the common things I've seen are hospital's outcomes in that specialty, research productivity/funding, future reputation and quality of work from the docs that graduated from there, and in a lot of cases the fellowships grads get. You'd also be surprised at how... "not amazing" the reputation of some of the "big name" places are for certain residencies (not all specialties), even though their med school and/or undergrad institutions are phenomenal.

Members don't see this ad :)
check out doximity.com

there is no real rank and everyone will always argue this that this that like undergrad, medical school, business school etc. but doximity is by far the closest u will get to a residency rank system

Reactions: 1 user
^. Do a quick google search and you'll see that there are no "US News"-type rankings of residency programs. They are categorically qualified though: best, great, good, etc. It's hard to say what exactly makes one residency program better than any other, so people look at research (both funding and quality), how many residents sub-specialize, etc. Doximity has a residency program navigator based on reputation that, as far as I know, is the most highly regarded, though still not perfect (if stats on a program aren't kept up to date, they look worse than they are). Not sure where you are in your medical education, but residents/attendings in the field you choose to pursue will be able to tell you what programs are good based on the quality of doctors they've seen coming out.

Also, certain residencies are also geared towards a sub-specialty of a field too, so while they may not be the most highly regarded plastics (e.g.) program in the country, they may be the best for gender reassignment training.

How are residencies ranked? I feel the current "rankings" are BS. The "top" schools are all "top" form historical purposes. Hopkins, UChicago, UWash, UMich, Duke, Stanford, etc....These schools generally get lots of research dollars and have high endowments. But what makes them "better" than other institutions? If I am interested in surgery or EM, or Peds, or ENT, How would i get "true, real, AUTHENTIC, current non-subjected and cliche" reviews and rankings?
For example Umich doesnt have a single ER that sees 100K+ annually but Wayne St/Henry Ford/DMC have like 4 or 5 of them together. You have to believe the docs in Detroit see more pts and perform more procedures that UMich residents/students/fellows. So how is UMich "better" just bc they are a cliche name and get more research dollars??? Is very hard to say Wayne State/DMC/Henry Ford docs/students arent as good as their UMich counterparts
All input is welcome.
There aren't any "official" rank lists for residency. Any rank list you see is even more meaningless than the ones they make for medical schools. Its very difficult to come up with any reasonable way of ranking residency programs in any way that has meaning.

How is Manhattan better than St.Louis?

you just kno

The one you match at is the best.

Seriously, though, "rankings" do residencies by and large are a joke. This is especially true because these lists are usually produced by M4's on the interview trail who really don't see the big picture.

In the end, there is a huge diversity of programs in each field. Your best bet is to find a good mentor at your school, be honest about your interests, strengths, and weaknesses, and develop the best list for you.

Reactions: 3 users
No one respects doximity. Its a popularity contest except they ask you about you. What do you think theyre going to say lmao

It's hard to say for certain - some of the common things I've seen are hospital's outcomes in that specialty, research productivity/funding, future reputation and quality of work from the docs that graduated from there, and in a lot of cases the fellowships grads get. You'd also be surprised at how... "not amazing" the reputation of some of the "big name" places are for certain residencies (not all specialties), even though their med school and/or undergrad institutions are phenomenal.
Where have you seen rankings based on the bolded?

Quality of cafeterias, call room, midlevel support, EMR system, call schedule, weather, parking.

And also like, research and R01's and stuff.