How are schools going to look at a lack of clinical experience/non-clinical volunteering for the upcoming cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ellia

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have some clinical and non-clinical volunteering from prior to covid (nothing amazing, maybe 200+ for both clinical and non-clinical) but nothing since March and I'm worried I may not be able to gain more hours before June. I was wondering how schools are dealing with this considering the circumstances?

I do have longevity as I have been involved with these activities for a couple years now but again not since March...

Is it possible that this and next cycle might be the only two cycles that they may be forgiving of something like this? I know normally lack of clinical/non-clinical volunteering, especially with none the year prior to applying would be a huge red flag in applications.

@Catalystik @gyngyn @Med Ed @LizzyM @Goro

Members don't see this ad.

I am not an adcom, but I do want to comment on this.

I deeply empathize with what you're feeling. I thought current applicants had it rough, but I can't imagine how it feels to be preparing to apply next cycle with things still being shut down. I can't imagine that is easy for you guys and I'm sorry you're dealing with that uncertainty.

The way I see it, even if adcoms are or aren't forgiving, it doesn't change the fact that they're going to choose the people within stat-ranges who 1) fit their mission the best and 2) have the most competitive experiences. Odds are, a ton of people had their ECs shafted this year. But with so many applicants competing for so few spots, they're still going to go for whoever had the most thorough experiences.

I say "thorough" because obviously, it depends on the essay quality and depth of involvement rather than just the number of hours. But the point still stands that regardless of the answer to your question, adcoms are still going to choose the people most qualified given the circumstances. So is there really an answer to the question that would change your course of action?

You had involvement before everything got shut down, so you're probably fine. On applications this year, a lot of secondaries asked how COVID-19 impacted our applications, and I imagine they'll have that same question next year. So just do the best with what you have and worry about what you can control. What else can you really do, right?

Reactions: 1 users
Hi,

I have some clinical and non-clinical volunteering from prior to covid (nothing amazing, maybe 200+ for both clinical and non-clinical) but nothing since March and I'm worried I may not be able to gain more hours before June. I was wondering how schools are dealing with this considering the circumstances?

I do have longevity as I have been involved with these activities for a couple years now but again not since March...

Is it possible that this and next cycle might be the only two cycles that they may be forgiving of something like this? I know normally lack of clinical/non-clinical volunteering, especially with none the year prior to applying would be a huge red flag in applications.

@Catalystik @gyngyn @Med Ed @LizzyM @Goro
If one has gotten in the ECs prior to COVID, then you're OK.

There still should be some type of venue that you can do online, like tutoring for kids, or working for a crisis text line. Try to do something during these difficult times! check in with your local houses of worship see if they have any ideas or uses for you

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Concur with the above. Almost everyone is in the same situation and adcoms will have to base decisions on what you had going on prior to March 2020.

Reactions: 2 users
Hang in there!

I would say that the fact that you do have longevity with the activities you were involved in shows something! They're going to be assessing for that progression and commitment regardless..If anything, it's never really about the quantity but the quality so you can still work with what you have and reflect on those experiences. Someone above mentioned online volunteer work and there's definitely still a lot of great ones out there: tutoring services, hotline help, letter-writing for seniors, food bank services, etc. etc.