How are scores interpreted.....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Resident Alien

What?
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
.....that are reported by AMCAS as having been achieved under "non-standardized conditions"?

Members don't see this ad.

With EXTREME scrutiny. You will almost definitely have to discuss this in detail at interviews if it is not blatantly apparent from your primary/secondary applications. There is such a wide range of causes for that marking and no real way for the med schools to verify exactly why you got it.

i dont agree with none at all.

i have been on the other side. i have spoken to few med school dirc of adm about this and ALL of them have told they dont care as long as you score well. they also said you dont need to bring it up on your amcas, second app and/or interview. if you need more help, just pm me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey CU in MD:
You dont have the pm option on, so i thouht i'd reply here. I dont think we have the same understanding of the "Non-standardized condition" reporting.
Does it mean i was given extra time to finish the test (as may be done to accomodate for handicapped applicants)?
I'm basically asking this because I discovered that AMCAS had reported this for me (thank you so much NEOUCOM), and im certainly not handicapped.

I do, however, remember complaining to the invigilator during the test that I was disturbed by constant chatter of some very gentle women :p (I was seated by the door) while taking the verbal section, and she agreed and said she'd report it. Is that why AMCAS reported this?

Any opinions welcome :)

Dr alien,
I wish you had mentioned this before I took mcats. I was constantly disturbed by two girls one sitting next to me and other sitting in front row. one sitting next to me will get done 20 mins ahead of time in every section and then will keep looking around and actually kept looking at my paper. One in front of me kept mumbling throughout the test. I was also distracted because this guy who was sitting next to me did nt come back after break.Also there were constant drilling and other construction noises. Well too late to report that I guess but hey atleast I know why I did nt score well on the mcat. :p

Resident Alien: so you are not handicapped and you did not take it under special conditions?
if the answer is yes, then i would get on the horn and call MCAT bc they screwed up. this might even hurt your chances of getting into a school. i have never heard of anthing like that. very, very strange.

Originally posted by C U in MD school:
•Resident Alien: so you are not handicapped and you did not take it under special conditions?
if the answer is yes, then i would get on the horn and call MCAT bc they screwed up. this might even hurt your chances of getting into a school. i have never heard of anthing like that. very, very strange.•••

At a time when I least wanted it, eh. The surprising thing is, it never came up in the 4 interviews I've had so far. The closest mention was the interviewer at OSU asking me why I did bad on the verbal....otherwise there was no mention of it. Im even more confused now, and pissed. I just hope the MCAT office doesnt have an answering machine (anyone know their number?).

Give me the patience, Lord.

Resident Alien: i think that they can't ask you why you took it under special conditions unless you bring it up. i would for sure make it clear to your med schools that you do not need special treatment and the mcat office had made a mistake.

MCAT #: 202-828-0690