How are sign on bonuses usually paid out?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

trailerpark

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Lets say 25K for a 3 year commitment. They wouldn't just write you a check for whole amount up front? I know taxes take a big part, but how are these signing bonuses distributed?

Members don't see this ad.

Mine was $15,000, paid in 3 equal installments: on hiring, and at my 3- and 6-month anniversaries. Had I left after less than 3 years, I would have had to pay a varying percentage of it back.

In case you're wondering, this was in 2003.

You typically get ~65% back, and 35% to taxes.

Mine was lump sump up front.

Members don't see this ad :)
I received 30 k in 3 installments: on hiring, 6 months, 1 year. I had agreed to move to El Paso, Texas but later I changed my time. I met someone and had to move. I had to return the whole thing to Walgreens. I recommend you take the sign on bonus only if you are 110% sure you are going to stay there.

Mine was lump sum up front. That way it hurts more to leave early and pay it all back.

$30k direct deposited into my bank account up front. Because it was classified as "Relocation Assistance", the company actually paid all of the taxes due on top of that, so the total amount was about $42,500.

$5,000 sign on bonus turned into $2700 after taxes. good thing i do jack sh** at work and play it off as i'm working hard.

A dream come true. What year was that?
2008. I put it in stock mutual funds in the depths of the financial crisis when the Dow was at about 7,500, S&P 500 at 800 :)

Reactions: 2 users
So there's a chance you only have to pay back a percentage based on how long you stayed there, but there's also a chance you have to pay back THE WHOLE THING if you don't stay the full 3 years!?

So there's a chance you only have to pay back a percentage based on how long you stayed there, but there's also a chance you have to pay back THE WHOLE THING if you don't stay the full 3 years!?
For sure. Every agreement is unique.

how much a floater pharmacist get yearly bonus at Walgreens??

Any one? 4o hours a week at the same store (still floater in system)..

Paid out in 6 month increments. They treat it like a loan; if you leave before the commitment is over, you have to pay it back (after you already paid ~40% taxes on it) plus an additional percentage on the total amount.