Feb 15, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
Is it your grades, your MCAT, your winning smile? Just curious.....total n00b still working on prereqs but I have read this a couple of times here and there and was wondering what you did to be offered that.

Nasrudin

Apropos of Nothing
10+ Year Member
Jun 8, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
I think with many of us trading in our children's future for the debt. your responses will be of the inane more demur variety.

So let me offer my theory. If you get outright denials or polite deflections then we can accept is as plausible.

It boils down to commercial viability. What can they offer the applicant so they don't go somewhere else and increase institutional coffers elsewhere.

They are given largely for the possibility of cultivating blue chip researchers.

Why do sports teams pay big money for certain athletes. Same reason. Business results.

njbmd

Moderator Emeritus
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 30, 2001
Gone Walkabout!
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
Is it your grades, your MCAT, your winning smile? Just curious.....total n00b still working on prereqs but I have read this a couple of times here and there and was wondering what you did to be offered that.
Foru of the six schools that accepted me offered me scholarships based on my uGPA and MCAT. One (the one that I attended) gave me a full-ride tuition which I jumped on without looking back since it was one of my top two choices anyway. The money moved it to my number one.

Feb 15, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
OKay. I think I get it. If you are an amazing braniac that would benefit them in the way of research.....or (Im guessing) phenomenal grades and MCAT? What about just good MCAT :p Or super cool interesting person....

Nanon

An urban myth.
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 15, 2000
Status
OKay. I think I get it. If you are an amazing braniac that would benefit them in the way of research.....or (Im guessing) phenomenal grades and MCAT? What about just good MCAT :p Or super cool interesting person....
My letter said it was based on my accomplishments outside of the classroom, so I'll go with "super cool interesting person" for 2000, Alex. :laugh:

vc7777

Nontrad MD/MS Resident
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
Jul 1, 2009
Midwest
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Are you talking about full merit scholarships only?

Nasrudin

Apropos of Nothing
10+ Year Member
Jun 8, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
My letter said it was based on my accomplishments outside of the classroom, so I'll go with "super cool interesting person" for 2000, Alex. :laugh:
Of course we're still psyched about Nanon's success. But I wouldn't go to the table to call bets with her story in mind.

In fact if little 19 y/o Nasrudin could do it again. I'd choose ruthlessly to cozy up to high output, technologically hot lab. And four years of wankity wank--corporately owned molecules searching for cell targets--after resident stats guru alchemates the grayest of relationships for published obscurity later--bang...full ride. Some more wankity. Then. See you f'ers later. Now I'm free to chose pediatrics w/out crushing debt.

And in regards to getting rewarded for pure academic success. I'm skeptical. They must have seen something else. Leadership. Something. Besides what is high scholastic achievement in a pool of kids with high numbers. Some of whom struggle to gain a couple of acceptances.

Last edited:

QofQuimica

Seriously, dude, I think you're overreacting....
Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Oct 12, 2004
Florida/Fellowship
Status
Fellow [Any Field], Attending Physician
Mine is for a combination of just about everything you can think of--well, except for the grades, because I didn't have any. It's a diversity scholarship that considers academic performance, other accomplishments, leadership, service, character, contribution to the class, etc. The way I look at it is, basically they're paying me to be a role model.

Nasrudin

Apropos of Nothing
10+ Year Member
Jun 8, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
Mine is for a combination of just about everything you can think of--well, except for the grades, because I didn't have any. It's a diversity scholarship that considers academic performance, other accomplishments, leadership, service, character, contribution to the class, etc. The way I look at it is, basically they're paying me to be a role model.
The role model gig. Sweet.

But you know. That's got some down sides. Don't you ever get tired of giving perfectly balanced well thought out statements. That strive to be useful even to the most tedious of us. Don't you ever want to be the guy at the wedding with the big moves. Who's taking it up a noch table-top, polyester coat in helicopter mode?

That's a lotta pressure.

QofQuimica

Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Oct 12, 2004
Florida/Fellowship
Status
The role model gig. Sweet.

But you know. That's got some down sides. Don't you ever get tired of giving perfectly balanced well thought out statements. That strive to be useful even to the most tedious of us. Don't you ever want to be the guy at the wedding with the big moves. Who's taking it up a noch table-top, polyester coat in helicopter mode?

That's a lotta pressure.
Yes, I suppose there can be a bit of extra pressure, some of which is self-imposed. For example, I'm sometimes asked to do things like meet with potential donors that the school would like to get to sign on the dotted line. I don't really like doing that, but I've been assured that these meetings are important to help convince the muckity-mucks to support the school. Of course, I could refuse to participate, but I view that as being kinda rude and ungrateful. If I can do something to help fund the next guy's scholarship, who am I to say no when someone else courted donors to help get me mine?

Everything has some downsides. Going into six figure debt so that you can get drunk at the wedding ain't exactly all that, either.

Nasrudin

Apropos of Nothing
10+ Year Member
Jun 8, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
Everything has some downsides. Going into six figure debt so that you can get drunk at the wedding ain't exactly all that, either.

Doubtless. I'd rather do the donor 2 step too. I was being sarcastic. And pointing out that you have obviously taken your duties to the internet. For our benefit. It seems they chose wisely for the tasks they had in mind.

My only initial point was that the process is less likely philanthropic. More likely strategic.

QofQuimica

Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Oct 12, 2004
Florida/Fellowship
Status
Doubtless. I'd rather do the donor 2 step too. I was being sarcastic. And pointing out that you have obviously taken your duties to the internet. For our benefit. It seems they chose wisely for the tasks they had in mind.
Thanks, I think. :laugh:

My only initial point was that the process is less likely philanthropic. More likely strategic.
It's a little of both. The school uses the scholarships to help recruit students they really want, but part of the goal is to make medical school more affordable for the students in general. More donations = more grant aid.

Nanon

An urban myth.
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 15, 2000
Status
Of course we're still psyched about Nanon's success. But I wouldn't go to the table to call bets with her story in mind.

Ha. Actually, all facetiousness aside, my letter said pretty much what Q's did, apparently. But ya, I don't recommend the route I took to full-ride-hood.

Nasrudin

Apropos of Nothing
10+ Year Member
Jun 8, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
Thanks, I think. :laugh:

It's a little of both. The school uses the scholarships to help recruit students they really want, but part of the goal is to make medical school more affordable for the students in general. More donations = more grant aid.
Q. I am completely sincere about gratitude for your advice as well as njbmd's.

However, I am resolved to cram the topic of this discussion into my view of this game in its entirety. Something about the man. And how corporate interests dictate to universities through research what will be accomplished by them. How now. Realizing the cards in play. I would have played them back in their faces.

I'm sticking thermometers in baby butts all day to make a living. I could just as easily be monitoring cell cultures. And had a much better angle for myself in so doing.

350 g's in debt is just some [email protected]!t you feel me. I hope the op does. there's still time to get dancin that jig they way its set up to be done.

mooshika

Removed
Jan 13, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
Your status says "pre-med" so are you doing the baby gig without proper licensing and I should ask for your credentials? Or are you bona fided?

m.

However, I am resolved to cram the topic of this discussion into my view of this game in its entirety. Something about the man. And how corporate interests dictate to universities through research what will be accomplished by them. How now. Realizing the cards in play. I would have played them back in their faces.

I'm sticking thermometers in baby butts all day to make a living. I could just as easily be monitoring cell cultures. And had a much better angle for myself in so doing.

350 g's in debt is just some [email protected]!t you feel me. I hope the op does. there's still time to get dancin that jig they way its set up to be done.

Nov 5, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
I would be curious to know more about what was done in order to be considered for these scholarships. Were there separate applications? Or were people automatically considered based on their original documents?

QofQuimica

Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Oct 12, 2004
Florida/Fellowship
Status

I'm not sure I understand why you're so hung up on having an extensive research background. The scholarships are not awards for premed research. :confused:

If you could go back, you'd be off to a much better start in terms of being more competitive if you graduated college with a 4.0 GPA along with whatever ECs you had. And if you specifically wanted to distinguish yourself by doing research, working literally or figuratively as a tech (i.e., monitoring cell cultures) ain't the way to go about it.

I would be curious to know more about what was done in order to be considered for these scholarships. Were there separate applications? Or were people automatically considered based on their original documents?
It depends on the school. Some of them offered the scholarship automatically along with the acceptance. Some required me to fill out an application, maybe write an additional essay. One even required a second interview.

fMRI

10+ Year Member
Dec 30, 2008
Status
MD/PhD Student
Merit scholarships are based -mainly- on academic merit and also achievements in one's community. Good grades, high yield academic classes, some involvement (whatever type, just something that shows commitment to a selfless cause), maybe research (not really necessary as everybody seems to be doing that).

Show them that you're the ideal candidate they want in their incoming class, so badly that they are prepared to throw money at you, lots of it. :rolleyes:

I was offered 4 merit ones, and all from good schools I applied to as my "safety" choices -- all very decent but not quite the best fit for my research. I decided for the research friendly MD/PhD route, which is more arduous and longer -- but suits me a great deal more. That, too, is full ride.

One thing to keep in mind: try getting scholarship money early on in your academic career, in college. Having had XY scholarship (something decent, well respected) yields further scholarship funds in the future. It shows that one organization trusted you already, you didn't disappoint them (show grades, output), so you're a safe bet for future investments... :laugh:

And yes, financial need scholarships don't really count -- they are based on financial circumstances, not entirely on academic ability. Merit based scholarships are open to all applicants, regardless of individual circumstances.