How are Step 1 repeaters looked upon?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jocelin

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there-
I took step 1 the first time and got 179 :( and took it again and got 210 (I know, it's not great either). Do I have to report the first score? How much is my failed first attempt going to effect my chances at a neurology residency? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there-
I took step 1 the first time and got 179 :( and took it again and got 210 (I know, it's not great either). Do I have to report the first score? How much is my failed first attempt going to effect my chances at a neurology residency? Thanks!

Isnt 175 passing? I think your first score will automatically be reported but you did show improvement.

Sorry to ask this but, how did you study (ie. resources)?

passing is typically 185-186.

To the newbie to SDN, first of all....welcome.

Secondly. I'll give you the advice I was given as a first year. Study hard during your first two years and you in essence ARE studying for the boards. Check the 'experiences' threads or 'official booklist' for more resources if you MUST spend 1.5 years studying for the exam.

Hi there-

Granted I have yet to take the boards myself, my best guess would be that you probably do have to report the first score, but it is not a "scarlet letter" that you carry around forever. I'm not sure what the average for Neurology is, but I'd check the AAMC website and it has a .pdf that gives average scores for each residency.

That being said, I would focus now on what lies ahead for you. Do well on your rotations, and knock Step 2 out of the park. Remember the old adage, things that matter most for residency are boards scores (Step 1 AND Step 2, sometimes with the latter being more important than the former), clinical grades, and recommendations.

But, bear in mind that the failed score will come up in interviews, and it could be to your advantage to address the deficiency in your personal statement come 4th year.

Best of luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
the score will be reported when it comes time to apply to residency. while 210 isn't a great score, it's decent, and probably enough to go forward with neurology. it's probably in your best interest to make the failing score look like a fluke, like you had the wrong impression of the exam or something and it doesn't actually reflect you. the best way to do that is probably to get good 3rd year scores and a good step2. surveys of PD's have shown they value ms3 grades more than boards.
other advice - i've been told not to use the personal statement to discuss your weaknesses. personally, i wouldn't bring up sub-passing boards more than i'm required to.

the score will be reported when it comes time to apply to residency. while 210 isn't a great score, it's decent, and probably enough to go forward with neurology. it's probably in your best interest to make the failing score look like a fluke, like you had the wrong impression of the exam or something and it doesn't actually reflect you. the best way to do that is probably to get good 3rd year scores and a good step2. surveys of PD's have shown they value ms3 grades more than boards.
other advice - i've been told not to use the personal statement to discuss your weaknesses. personally, i wouldn't bring up sub-passing boards more than i'm required to.

I have nothing new to add besides agreeing with werd here in that I wouldn't necessarily bring it up in my personal statement.

Just make sure you have a very honest and CONCISE reply to why you failed. It happens. Just say a few words about why it happened to you and that you learned from your mistakes (as evidenced from your retake and your awesome Step II score). That's it.

Luckily Neurology, as a whole, is not among the label-***** residencies. Genuine interest in the field goes much further than just a strong showing on Step 1.

Keep your head up. G'luck!