How are the DO’s doing in the psych interview season so far?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

himomitsme

Reaction score
Too early too tell?

curious how many interviews have gone out to everyone but in particular DO’s

Members don't see this ad.

It shouldn't be. By this time 3 years ago I had 8/9 of my ii's. Many people will have more coming in Nov or even trickling in during Dec or Jan, but people should have a few interviews by now (though this year could certainly be different given the all the COVID stuff).

Reactions: 1 user
I am an IMG, sitting at 5 IVs so far. Pretty happy about it to be honest.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It shouldn't be. By this time 3 years ago I had 8/9 of my ii's. Many people will have more coming in Nov or even trickling in during Dec or Jan, but people should have a few interviews by now (though this year could certainly be different given the all the COVID stuff).
this year is absolutely different - it's been less than 2 weeks since apps went out.

this year is absolutely different - it's been less than 2 weeks since apps went out.

In that case, it's definitely too early. I had 0 II's in the first two weeks then got 6 in week 3. As said above, will be difficult to gauge what is "normal" this year, but to all applicants try not to get discouraged.

Congrats!!! what geographical location were most your interviews?

Texas, which is where I live. Most of my friends, some with stronger apps than mine are sitting at 1-2 IVs. It is still the beginning guys, don't worry!!

very nervous..only have 1 so far. I am a DO student with pretty decent stats and very good step 2 scores. took both usmle and comlex, applied to 65 programs...trying to stay calm but it's hard!!

My program director hasn’t even looked at the apps yet.

Reactions: 2 users
DO here. I certainly don't want to add to the any hysteria or cause anyone to worry, as I don't think even half of programs have sent out interviews yet. However, I am lucky to have received 11 invites so far. I planned on psych from the very beginning of medical school and everything about my app points to it. I applied to a lot of places, and I've seen two patterns so far. Programs either mass send out invites in one email to all their selected applicants for all dates, or they either slowly pick people out and offer restricted dates. I've noticed that the higher ranked places I've received interview invites from are doing more of the latter. BUT, I've also noticed that the very community-oriented places are sending out more secondaries. None of these rules, can unfortunately, be applied broadly as I've seen exceptions. Check out the reddit spreadsheet and you'll see plenty of places haven't even been recorded to have sent out even one invite. Most psych applicants I know have around 2 so far.

MD from top school here. I applied to 12 programs and have gotten two invites, both the day after submission. It's been crickets ever since

Just checked the reddit spreadsheet. Only 5 of my 12 schools have any invites recorded on the spreadsheet, so I feel a bit better! It really is still early :dead:

There are a lot of under represented minority (URM) recruitment requirements that add layers to an already large process. That and the delay to Oct. 21 will make this a slow process. Not panicking is good advice, but not very helpful. Of course, panicking doesn't help anything either. Like anything high stakes, the anticipation is difficult because it can be a really good or a really bad outcome. It is a lot like this election, but the match will drag out by design.

Has pretty much all the invites gone out by this point- anyone know?

DO student here. So far I have 6 IIs... I hope to get more though.

Last edited:
Seems like interview hoarding is a real thing this cycle. Who knows what will happen

Any update on this? I'm at 7 as a D.O. I think the interview hoarding is real for sure. I've talked to several people that have 3 or less at this point in the cycle. Thing that gets me is not getting them in my area. Missed out on my home state and school state although I've talked to people with worse stats that got interview invites. I'm guessing the top 10% of applicants just sucked up a lot of interview invites and left the rest for us avg. folk.

Any update on this? I'm at 7 as a D.O. I think the interview hoarding is real for sure. I've talked to several people that have 3 or less at this point in the cycle. Thing that gets me is not getting them in my area. Missed out on my home state and school state although I've talked to people with worse stats that got interview invites. I'm guessing the top 10% of applicants just sucked up a lot of interview invites and left the rest for us avg. folk.
Also A DO with just a few interviews. hoarding is real but that also means increased chances of matching with less interviews