How are the ER call schedules?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

24SWISS

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering how are the call schedules during ER residency, enlighten me a little! How is it to work at ER all the time? rushing and running?

Members don't see this ad.

uhhhh....what call schedule??? part of the beauty of EM is the lack of call...

but on a side note, you do have to take call when you are on off-service rotations...

24SWISS said:
I was wondering how are the call schedules during ER residency, enlighten me a little! How is it to work at ER all the time? rushing and running?

the work climate varies from hour to hour in the ER. sometimes its busy and other times is slow as crap. personally i hate when its slow. i need to be doing something or i get bored....plus, aside from a natural disaster, if someone feels like they're "rushing and running" most of the time, then emergency medicine isnt for them. it's all about multi-tasking and time-management!

Members don't see this ad :)
as stebb said on the off service rotations you take call. The call schedule is obviously program dependent. But you will likely have call for about 6 total months during residency. Usually the ICU months, OB, IM (if you have it), trauma and ortho. This is program dependent though cause not every program has the same rotations.

Thank you guys for all the info, I just wanted to know how long you stay working at the ER, I was looking some info in different programs and they don't specify anything and besides I needed real info from residents, sometimes programs say one thing and once you are there it's nothing like it. So there are no calls, do you stay 12hours ? how often? :confused:

24SWISS said:
Thank you guys for all the info, I just wanted to know how long you stay working at the ER, I was looking some info in different programs and they don't specify anything and besides I needed real info from residents, sometimes programs say one thing and once you are there it's nothing like it. So there are no calls, do you stay 12hours ? how often? :confused:

Every program is different. You have to ask residents from each program to REALLY know for sure, but info you find online is a good place to start. Various programs do 8, 9, 10, or 12 hour shifts; some programs the sift length changes for PGY1,2,3. Some programs these quoted numbers are the actual length of time you are present, some places you'll be there 1/2 to 2 hours longer. The number of shifts per month also varies, and depends on shift length, what year you are, and so forth.

All in all the differences between programs only matters AFTER you decide EM is right for you, which is the biggest/most important decision. Compared to that, shift number and length is a minor detail.

To be clear, there are no "calls" in the ER. You work a shift and you are working for that entire time. It is never so slow that would go home before your shift is over. Exactly how busy you are is program dependant. Number of shifts per month averages 18-22 I would say.

24SWISS said:

At least at my program, we do 2 weeks in EM2 and 2 weeks in EM3 of back-up call. Basically, we cover shifts for people who call in sick, etc. It's call, but not really. And it's in the ED :thumbup: .

As you can see I'm FMG, and indeed I really like ER but is difficult for a FMG to get ER, it's a competitive residency, but still will try. I think I read in one of the posts, "I hate rounding" I agree strongly with that! Hopefully my spanish and korean will help to get the residency!

stebb said:
uhhhh....what call schedule??? part of the beauty of EM is the lack of call...

but on a side note, you do have to take call when you are on off-service rotations...

actually, at one of my EM electives, the ED docs HAD a call schedule. I'm sure it was just to make sure they have somebody on standby for a few hours just in they got hammered or somthing.

There is always somebody unhappy to make your life a little bit more miserable!

24SWISS said:
As you can see I'm FMG, and indeed I really like ER but is difficult for a FMG to get ER, it's a competitive residency, but still will try. I think I read in one of the posts, "I hate rounding" I agree strongly with that! Hopefully my spanish and korean will help to get the residency!

Don't count yourself out because you are an FMG. Many people from SGU got an emergency medicine residency this last year. It is more difficult than primary care, but not as difficult as a number of other specialties.

Thanks for the encouragement , definitely I will go for ER :cool: