How are the two North Carolina dental schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hs2013

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering how good of schools they are, like how do they compare to some midwest schools like Minnesota and Marquette?

Also how are they in regards to accepting OOS students, since I am from the Midwest but I would love to live in NC.

Members don't see this ad.

Compare in what way?

Just wondering how good of schools they are, like how do they compare to some midwest schools like Minnesota and Marquette?

Also how are they in regards to accepting OOS students, since I am from the Midwest but I would love to live in NC.

ECU dental school does not accept out of state students.

Members don't see this ad :)
By compare I mean like which has better equipment/technology and which better trains students to be better dentists?

Also that sucks ECU doesn't, does UNC have a certain amount of spots allocated to in state and OOS?

By compare I mean like which has better equipment/technology and which better trains students to be better dentists?
that's a very predent thing to say because that **** doesn't matter. Dentsim is useless after a month as you transition to mannequins. aside from that, just saying "equipment/technology" is equally as vague as asking us to just "compare". most of what you get out of dental school is almost entirely dependent on you. you decide if you just want to pass a competency or come after class and perfect your handskills. you decide if spending more time reading outside the minimum required is worth your time. it's just you and your textbooks. your instructors are probably going to be nearly the same anywhere you go and they're just there for you to copy off of and just nod yes or no to your work and explain how you fugged up. just go to your state school or the cheapest school you get into.

Last edited:

Also that sucks ECU doesn't, does UNC have a certain amount of spots allocated to in state and OOS?
According to the ADEA book (I use this book way too much), 15/81 spots are for OOS, 79/866 OOS applicants were interviewed.

Anywhere you go, you'll be fine. Your education is what you make of it.

Even with personal biases aside, I think that UNC is generally regarded as one of the best dental schools. Even though I know the "unofficial" rankings are sort of crap, a UNC dental degree is going to be well received wherever you go.