How are volunteer hours recorded?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

markmark

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am wondering, how are volunteer hours recorded? Does the hospital somehow keep a record ?

Members don't see this ad.

This depends entirely on the hospital. Some have electronic record keeping systems that require you to punch in and out. Some don't keep track at all.

Yeah, depends on the hospital. I had to sign in/out where I volunteered, so they kept track of the hours for me. If you don't have that, then you need to keep track of it yourself. Ask your volunteer coordinator if you're unsure, otherwise just keep a little notebook.

Members don't see this ad :)
One hospital that I volunteered at used a computer system for us to log in and log out during my time there. Another hospital just had a bidner and a page with my name on it where I wrote down when I started and when I left. Depends on the hospital really.

Depends on the hospital. Mine has a log book at the front desk- we sign in and out each day we volunteer. Then the volunteer coordinator records them in her fancy program.

Many hospitals have students log their own hours and keep it on record just so that it's recorded somewhere.

Why do you ask? Most people seem worried that they'll get in trouble with reporting inaccurate numbers. Most schools simply don't care enough to actually question what you state unless you give them a reason to. I agree with Catalystik, though, that it's a good idea to keep a rough record just for yourself. A good way to do that might be to make a basic draft of a CV that you update at the end of each quarter/semester. This is a great way to make sure that you have an up-to-date record of activities that you can refer to, particularly when it comes time to complete your application.

There is an iPhone app out there that let's you log everything you do (volunteering, shadowing, etc), and automatically transfer it to AMCAS come application time. I've been using it for a year or so and it has been great--especially since it lets me put the contact info of the people I shadow in there as well for quick-reference.

Reactions: 1 users
There is an iPhone app out there that let's you log everything you do (volunteering, shadowing, etc), and automatically transfer it to AMCAS come application time. I've been using it for a year or so and it has been great--especially since it lets me put the contact info of the people I shadow in there as well for quick-reference.

Well, shiz. Post the app!

Reactions: 1 user
Well, shiz. Post the app!

It's called Med Mentor. I have it on my phone (and it's still functional) but it doesn't appear to be in the App Store any longer. If it really isn't available anymore, I apologize for talking about it. As I said, I got it a little over a year ago, so I guess it's possible the person just didn't keep it up.

*update* The app had a blog about it by the same name (medmentor.blogspot...) with a link to download the app. I just clicked it a few moments ago, and it pulls up a blank screen on the App Store. I guess it's gone. Man, if I can no longer use it to export to AMCAS, I'll be genuinely upset about the $.99 I wasted on it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
The hospital I volunteer at does, but the one I volunteered at in high school didn't. So, it varies. Just keep track of it yourself.