Dismiss Notice
Check out the new Application Assistant, where you can calculate your LizzyM score, see how you rank compared to other applicants, and see a list of schools where similar students were accepted.

How are volunteer hours recorded?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical Allopathic [ MD ]' started by markmark, 01.13.14.

1. SDN is made possible through sponsorships and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. markmark

markmark

Pre-Medical
    Hello,

I am wondering, how are volunteer hours recorded? Does the hospital somehow keep a record ?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. SN12357

SN12357 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    This depends entirely on the hospital. Some have electronic record keeping systems that require you to punch in and out. Some don't keep track at all.

4. AquiVoy13

AquiVoy13

Pre-Medical
    Yeah, depends on the hospital. I had to sign in/out where I volunteered, so they kept track of the hours for me. If you don't have that, then you need to keep track of it yourself. Ask your volunteer coordinator if you're unsure, otherwise just keep a little notebook.

5. Catalystik

Catalystik Providing herd protection SDN Advisor 10+ Year Member

Verified
    Physician
    Verified
    Faculty
    It's a good idea to keep track of the hours yourself, anyway. We see many reports of official records lost/systems crash/mixups, etc.

6. justAstudent

justAstudent SDN Gold Donor Gold Donor 5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    One hospital that I volunteered at used a computer system for us to log in and log out during my time there. Another hospital just had a bidner and a page with my name on it where I wrote down when I started and when I left. Depends on the hospital really.

7. musicalMD

musicalMD

Pre-Medical
    Depends on the hospital. Mine has a log book at the front desk- we sign in and out each day we volunteer. Then the volunteer coordinator records them in her fancy program.

8. NickNaylor

NickNaylor Daisy the Dog Lifetime Donor 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Verified
    Physician
    SDN
    Author
    Many hospitals have students log their own hours and keep it on record just so that it's recorded somewhere.

Why do you ask? Most people seem worried that they'll get in trouble with reporting inaccurate numbers. Most schools simply don't care enough to actually question what you state unless you give them a reason to. I agree with Catalystik, though, that it's a good idea to keep a rough record just for yourself. A good way to do that might be to make a basic draft of a CV that you update at the end of each quarter/semester. This is a great way to make sure that you have an up-to-date record of activities that you can refer to, particularly when it comes time to complete your application.

9. didymus

didymus

There is an iPhone app out there that let's you log everything you do (volunteering, shadowing, etc), and automatically transfer it to AMCAS come application time. I've been using it for a year or so and it has been great--especially since it lets me put the contact info of the people I shadow in there as well for quick-reference.

AkGrown84 and gumdrops like this.
  10. gumdrops

gumdrops 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Well, shiz. Post the app!

AkGrown84 likes this.
  11. didymus

didymus

It's called Med Mentor. I have it on my phone (and it's still functional) but it doesn't appear to be in the App Store any longer. If it really isn't available anymore, I apologize for talking about it. As I said, I got it a little over a year ago, so I guess it's possible the person just didn't keep it up.

*update* The app had a blog about it by the same name (medmentor.blogspot...) with a link to download the app. I just clicked it a few moments ago, and it pulls up a blank screen on the App Store. I guess it's gone. Man, if I can no longer use it to export to AMCAS, I'll be genuinely upset about the $.99 I wasted on it.

Last edited: 01.13.14
    gumdrops likes this.
  12. Aerus

Aerus Elemental Alchemist 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    hSDN
    hSDN
    Alumni
    The hospital I volunteer at does, but the one I volunteered at in high school didn't. So, it varies. Just keep track of it yourself.

13. Planes2Doc

Planes2Doc 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Mine was recorder electronically, where I had to sign in and out on a computer. Reporting hours is based on the honor system.

About the ads