How are you all evaluating schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bobcat

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is most important to you all in a medical school? I know that all US medical schools offer a great education and that you can't really make a huge mistake choosing one school over another. On the other hand, it feels like the biggest choice I've made in my life up to this point. Here is my list for what it's worth.

1. The quality of the school (as evaluated by me personally and the school's general reputation)
2. The medical students (Do they seem crazy? Are they friendly? Would I fit in with these people?)
3. The cost
4. The curriculum
5. The location

Actually, my top concern is where my girlfriend also gets accepted to school and wants to go, but these are my top priorities regarding schools themselves.

What do you all think?

Members don't see this ad.

I would say, for me, people and environment is up there, because if i'm going to be some place for 4 years, I want to have fun and enjoy myself. Location is up there too. I'm not too picky about curriculum, unless they do something crazy!
And cost isn't a huge factor because I'm going to be in lots of debt either way...although my state school gets super preference because of it's <$10,000 tuition

1. Curriculum-I am going p/f for sure. Like PBL and want early clinical exposure.
2. Med students- I gotta be happy where I go.
3. The quality of the school
4. Location- I like big cities.

Members don't see this ad :)
bobcat,

I hope you and your girlfriend are similar in grades and EC's and all that fun stuff. B/c don't short yourself when choosing a medical school b/c of your significant other. Unless you two are engaged or married....DO NOT sacrafice your top choice (or her top choice) b/c one of you did not get in!

Unless of course it's both your top choice.

Not so fast Scooby. We need to define what we mean by "top choice". I mean it's one thing if you get into the school you've been dreaming about since 3rd grade or something, I could see how you wouldn't want to give that up for the chance to continue a good relationship...but if we are talking about: "well, Columbia is my first choice but I really think I would be very happy and get a good education at school X...now I get into Columbia and school X but my GF gets into only school X - what do I do?" then it's not so clear.

Ultimately there are no blanket answers here, and I'm struggling with a similiar situation...make your own decision, bobcat, and good luck!

Cost vs. Quality...It's a balance between the two. Curriculum is also important (A-F grading scale, traditional, etc...). I don't really care too much about location. Growing up in the military has made me comfortable with transitions. The age of the med students is also important (i'm looking for a younger crowd). The male to female ratio is also important (50/50 or higher female/male ratio preferred).

Ultimately, as I initially said, it's a balance between cost and quality. The other mentioned factors will be considered, but not given too much weight.

opportunities available to me like research, travel aboard, etc. support of faculty. student happiness and cooperativeness. low cost (good thing all of teh schools i am considering are around $80,000 and below for indebtedness). chill curriculum. and just the feel of the place. can i be there for 4-5 years.