How are you all handling work and studies concurrently? Tips?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

V781

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Most of my community college's math/science classes fill up and I'm stuck with classes at impossible/random times that don't fit into a nice block of time together and don't allow me to work a preferred 5 days. Most of my classes require a long lab concurrently which makes scheduling even more difficult. I want to get through this degree, but it is taking me so long and seems I'll still be here a while.

I've taken the required GE courses for transfer (on quarter system): Critical Thinking, Humanities, Language (French), Public Speaking, World History, Government, English 1, English 2, Psychology, PE, Philosophy, Human Bio, General Chemistry (year long), Pre-Calc (year long)...took Anatomy and Physio (year long) but wasn't required - it reassured me I needed to be in this field..

..I still have to take Physics (year long), Calculus 1, Calculus 2 or Statistics, Form and Function in Biological World (year long), and Organic Chemistry (year long).

It looks like I still have two years before I can even transfer. I have monthly bills/payments to make and seem to require 4-5 nights per week to be on top of them (food serving)...

How do you do this? I know that not everyone is requiring 4 years to get through community college before transferring. How are you managing being a full time student (if you are)? It would be impossible for me to complete these remaining classes in one year wouldn't it? Also, how are you not burning out and managing to keep up your motivation? Does your focus ever waver? I didn't even take classes this last year due to a setback and a necessary move.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I completed all the requirements and recommended courses (cell bio, genetics, etc.) between Spring '16 and now. Next Thursday I'll be done with my last class! It was not possible for me to do everything in a year just because of the class scheduling. There were too many things I needed offered in the same time slots. I also went for a full extra bachelor's in biology instead of taking just the required stuff because I didn't have to take any gen eds regardless, so I might have been able to finish up in a year if I hadn't done that.

I was fortunate enough that my job is 12 hour shifts, and full time is 36 hours a week, so I just took a full course load and worked Thursday, Friday, and Saturday nights 1900-0700 every week. I put all my labs and afternoon classes on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Wednesdays, so I could sleep all night Wednesday and get a nap before going to work Thursday night. I made sure if I had to go on a Friday, it was early, so I could get off work, go to class, and still have adequate time to sleep. Switching back and forth between nights and days twice a week was awful.

For the record, my Tuesdays in the spring went from 0930-2200 because I had two classes and two labs that day, so... yeah. The way I had to structure my week to do almost nothing on Thursdays and Fridays was terrible.

I waited until I was extremely motivated to do this process to start taking classes, because that worked in my favor. Every time I wanted to quit, which was at least three or four times a week, I just made myself think about all of the things I hate about my current job and ask myself, "Do you really want to do THAT forever?" and I could dig in and find more motivation to keep going.

Good luck. Doing all this and working full time is NOT easy.

Reactions: 2 users
I completed all the requirements and recommended courses (cell bio, genetics, etc.) between Spring '16 and now. Next Thursday I'll be done with my last class! It was not possible for me to do everything in a year just because of the class scheduling. There were too many things I needed offered in the same time slots. I also went for a full extra bachelor's in biology instead of taking just the required stuff because I didn't have to take any gen eds regardless, so I might have been able to finish up in a year if I hadn't done that...

First, great job!

What job was it that allowed you to work full time with three days per week? And how did you deal with any physical exhaustion (if you experienced any)? Working overnight on weekends, you must have had trouble going to sleep earlier in the week for early classes (?). Are you another one of those "coffee keeps me going" students? And also, when did you study? Seems those upper classes would require quite a few hours per week...

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
You could look into online courses for their convenience, particularly UNE (use search function for plenty of threads on this). Just know there are schools that won't accept them so you'll be limiting your chances. Also you probably need something to make your application stand out to compensate for the perceived loss of academic vigor.

You could look into online courses for their convenience, particularly UNE (use search function for plenty of threads on this). Just know there are schools that won't accept them so you'll be limiting your chances. Also you probably need something to make your application stand out to compensate for the perceived loss of academic vigor.

There aren't too many online courses available at my school, particularly for the maths and sciences, because of the labs and need for being hands on. Are there online courses for Physics, O. Chem and Bio elsewhere?

There aren't too many online courses available at my school, particularly for the maths and sciences, because of the labs and need for being hands on. Are there online courses for Physics, O. Chem and Bio elsewhere?

Look into university of New England's science courses. But do a careful search of this forum so you're fully informed before going down that road.

While I'm sympathetic to your situation, I have to be honest, your post made me happy to read. All I seem to read is about people transferring and graduating early. Misery loves company I suppose.

I too am taking the community college route, have already completed one year of classes, and it'll take me another 2 years as long as I take a minimum of 15 units per semester (along with taking at least one class during winter, 3-4 during summers) to complete all my courses for transfer to one school. If I wanted to transfer to another, at least one more semester. Giving me a total of 3-3.5 years at cc before transferring.

Are you currently volunteering? I am using this summer to start 4 different volunteer commitments that I can carry out long term, but I am worried about the time commitment.

Are you receiving financial aid? I've read about your aid getting cut off after 3 yrs at a cc, unless you get an associates, then it'll reset the clock. That is a constant worry of mine.

I am lucky enough to work only 3 days a week (although this summer due to a large purchase, I am picking up extra shifts and only taking one online class) but the hours suck for sleep and studying on the weekend (Fri 4pm-12:30am, sat same, sun 12-8/10pm, also food service, shift manager) and it is approx 1.5hr bus commute, and I get motion sickness so I can't study on the bus.)

I read about how the other poster works graveyard shifts, and I commend them as I can't imagine how much that would throw of your sleep schedule.

I can't stand the taste of coffee and not much a tea drinker, and don't like energy drinks. Lol, so I am for 7hrs min of sleep per night on days I have classes.

My focus never wavers. Not. I try to remind myself when I am overwhelmed by how much studying I have or trying to cram in volunteering that if I don't power through my slump, Ill be stuck in food service forever.

I feel like I too must be doing something wrong or terrible at time management, when I read about people who work 40 hour weeks, take 18 credits a semester so they will transfer/graduate early, raising a kid, and volunteer regularly. How?? When I am overwhelmed with just 25 hrs working, 15 credits, a boyfriend and a dog to care for?

I saw someone mention taking science courses online. I thought that admin didn't accept online science courses?
Edit: just saw someone already mentioned that.

I guess I don't have a lot of advice to add, but just wanted to let you know that you aren't alone. You can do this!

Last edited:
While I'm sympathetic to your situation, I have to be honest, your post made me happy to read. All I seem to read is about people transferring and graduating early. Misery loves company I suppose.

I too am taking the community college route, have already completed one year of classes, and it'll take me another 2 years as long as I take a minimum of 15 units per semester (along with taking at least one class during winter, 3-4 during summers) to complete all my courses for transfer to one school. If I wanted to transfer to another, at least one more semester. Giving me a total of 3-3.5 years at cc before transferring.

Are you currently volunteering? I am using this summer to start 4 different volunteer commitments that I can carry out long term, but I am worried about the time commitment.

Are you receiving financial aid? I've read about your aid getting cut off after 3 yrs at a cc, unless you get an associates, then it'll reset the clock. That is a constant worry of mine.

I am lucky enough to work only 3 days a week (although this summer due to a large purchase, I am picking up extra shifts and only taking one online class) but the hours suck for sleep and studying on the weekend (Fri 4pm-12:30am, sat same, sun 12-8/10pm, also food service, shift manager) and it is approx 1.5hr bus commute, and I get motion sickness so I can't study on the bus.)

I read about how the other poster works graveyard shifts, and I commend them as I can't imagine how much that would throw of your sleep schedule.

I can't stand the taste of coffee and not much a tea drinker, and don't like energy drinks. Lol, so I am for 7hrs min of sleep per night on days I have classes.

My focus never wavers. Not. I try to remind myself when I am overwhelmed by how much studying I have or trying to cram in volunteering that if I don't power through my slump, Ill be stuck in food service forever.

I feel like I too must be doing something wrong or terrible at time management, when I read about people who work 40 hour weeks, take 18 credits a semester so they will transfer/graduate early, raising a kid, and volunteer regularly. How?? When I am overwhelmed with just 25 hrs working, 15 credits, a boyfriend and a dog to care for?

I saw someone mention taking science courses online. I thought that admin didn't accept online science courses?
Edit: just saw someone already mentioned that.

I guess I don't have a lot of advice to add, but just wanted to let you know that you aren't alone. You can do this!

Yes, it's terrible to me how long it's taking/going to take. I have people asking "weren't you planning on transferring?".... I've worked with some servers in their 40s that have been doing it for life. There's no way I'm doing that. I was always more capable and I'm sure you are as well. Family wants me out of it as well. Paid clinical experience now would be great...however, most require programs that average at least one year in length (medical assisting, phlebotomy, etc). I don't want to hold off any longer on my degree. Any ideas?

Not interested in the online course. For classes with labs, I'd rather be there in person with the instructor and with the correct materials to practice hands on. And I don't want to risk the course not being accepted after completing it. If it were history or w/e, no problem.

Thanks. I feel dead. xD

I work as an ICU RN. If I got lucky I could study at work, but we've been so short staffed that we're usually over ratios, plus I work as charge most of the time I'm there, so I'm spending my whole shift putting out all of my fires plus listening to everyone else yell my name for help all night. It was a rare shift I had time to study.

I absolutely had trouble going to sleep all week long... until about Wednesday night, when I'd finally adjusted over... then I usually couldn't sleep Thursday afternoon, could barely sleep Friday afternoon, and you guessed it, finally slept well Saturday afternoon, just before I'd have to switch back. I take 50mg diphenhydramine combined with a valerian/melatonin supplement to get to sleep on a good day anyway, so this was terrible.

I do drink a lot of coffee, but it takes a lot for it to do anything for me. I usually drink at least eight cups a night normally, so I started pounding extra coffee plus supplementing with various caffeine-containing supplements (Excelerol Focus Plus is a favorite, but just generic 200mg caffeine pills help too) whenever the coffee alone had me staring out into space at 3 AM.

I did a lot of going to bed the second I got out of class, waking up at 0200/0300, and driving to school in the middle of the night to study before class. Worked way better than trying to stay up to study for me. I do way better studying with a freshly rested brain.

Oh my goodness...yeah, I don't think I could handle all of that! Can't even choke down two sips of coffee ha...though I'm sure it'd help me a lot with work load. Hopefully you're more relaxed as of late.

But I guess you're thinking about medical schools and the MCAT now?

Yes, it's terrible to me how long it's taking/going to take. I have people asking "weren't you planning on transferring?".... I've worked with some servers in their 40s that have been doing it for life. There's no way I'm doing that. I was always more capable and I'm sure you are as well. Family wants me out of it as well. Paid clinical experience now would be great...however, most require programs that average at least one year in length (medical assisting, phlebotomy, etc). I don't want to hold off any longer on my degree. Any ideas?

Not interested in the online course. For classes with labs, I'd rather be there in person with the instructor and with the correct materials to practice hands on. And I don't want to risk the course not being accepted after completing it. If it were history or w/e, no problem.

Have you looked into home health aide? My community college offers a program over the summer where you take 3 or 4 courses and get certified as a home health aide at the end of it. Typically flexible hours and you can find jobs on sites like indeed and cl easily. You have to have a driver's license though and reliable car usually, which is why I am not doing it.

I take night classes only so it allowed me to work a full time job. Work start at 630am-430pm, class start at 5:15pm-10pm M-Th. I usually get out of class by 9ish pm, speed eat dinner then shower the kids and prepare them for bedtime then study for about an hour or so then off to bed. Luckily, for my job I have the leisure to study at work when all my work is done so I put in about 4-5 hours a day of studying at work too.

I take night classes only so it allowed me to work a full time job. Work start at 630am-430pm, class start at 5:15pm-10pm M-Th. I usually get out of class by 9ish pm, speed eat dinner then shower the kids and prepare them for bedtime then study for about an hour or so then off to bed. Luckily, for my job I have the leisure to study at work when all my work is done so I put in about 4-5 hours a day of studying at work too.
Can I ask what your job is?

You need to register the minute classes open up. If you take summer courses you can easily get 30 credits/year while working FT.

If it's important for you to register for classes that work for your schedule, then you should start planning your classes before registration and register the moment registration opens. You can't blame your schedule on "all the classes fill up."

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Some people doesn't get priority registration so they can't register for class the moment registration open. I had to apply for priority registration every semester since I already have a bachelor degree and more than 100 unit completed.

If it's important for you to register for classes that work for your schedule, then you should start planning your classes before registration and register the moment registration opens. You can't blame your schedule on "all the classes fill up."

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Exactly as person above me stated. I have to just sit and watch certain classes fill up while I wait for my registration date. There's a priority rank of 1-10 and I'm usually ranked around 4-6. So yes, it is a valid excuse. My CC only offers two O. Chem classes at a time (and 4 different lab choices) - I didn't get the preferred time and day but I'll make it work this quarter. I do believe that Universities tend to have more options for classes and class times so people can better fit classes into their schedule. There are no 8 o'clock classes at my cc.

Math classes have been most difficult to get into. I refuse to take the professors that are rated 1 or 2 on ratemyprofessor.com and sometimes they are all that is left. Often, they're rated so poorly because their grading is unclear and students complain that parts of the test had very little to do with lecture notes, etc...I don't want to risk getting the bad grade as well as not being prepared properly for the next semester..

Usually as you acquire more credits you will have a higher priority. Its not difficult to reach 10 credits/semester.

Usually as you acquire more credits you will have a higher priority. Its not difficult to reach 10 credits/semester.

This is all straying from the main question. I did already mention that I have my classes for the next quarter and will make them work.

This thread was a request for tips and advice about balancing work and school full time (and gym if you managed). I know that there are many hard workers in here that made it all work and I know that they had particular methods that helped them through.

I found that if my schedule was tight and I had work/ needed to study i performed much better if i decided to put it off, go to sleep and wake up earlier and focus in the morning after some rest and coffee. Often I get home from the ER at 11pm (work 10a-10p) and my heart tells me to study/get my lab report done.

Reactions: 1 user
...Also, how are you not burning out and managing to keep up your motivation? Does your focus ever waver? I didn't even take classes this last year due to a setback and a necessary move.
I am only going to reply to the above part of your post because that is all I have to offer. I'm not 100% burned out, but I am extremely frustrated at my progress. Some of it I can control and other parts I cannot. Yes, my focus wavers at times. Like you, a couple years ago, I went two years without taking classes because there were no evening options.

The way I'm trying to maintain motivation is by telling myself to only focus on the next step and not think of what lies 4 years ahead. This won't work for everyone, but it's what I'm doing. You will find your own unique method of dealing (as long as you want this - you have to want it - otherwise it won't work, IMO).