Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

How are you getting cross country?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by randomapplicant, May 2, 2007.

?

What method are you using to move?

1. Renting a moving truck and driving it myself.

12 vote(s)
    19.0%
  2. Selling all of my things, flying out, and starting again.

7 vote(s)
    11.1%
  3. Selling most of my things, packing the rest in my car.

15 vote(s)
    23.8%
  4. A combination of the above (explain below).

2 vote(s)
    3.2%
  5. Unicorns.

27 vote(s)
    42.9%
  1. randomapplicant

As I prepare to move across the country, one trend seems to prevail above all others: cost. Renting a UHAUL to go nearly coast-to-coast runs about a grand, and it seems like any other combination is likely as expensive, if not more. Certainly, paying a moving company makes things quite a bit more expensive.

Any suggestions?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. baylormed

baylormed On the Search

Post Doc
    Selling everything and buying new furniture?

4. jochi1543

jochi1543 President, Gunner Central

Pre-Medical
    I've moved from Washington DC to Minneapolis to Gulfport MS to Southern AB....

Buy a homemade trailer, hitch it to your car, and off you go. Of course, if you drive a Toyota Yaris (like I do now), that's out of question, but I hauled all my belongings with a 1996 Volkswagen Passat and was able to stay at 80 mph at all times.

Then sell the trailer once you've arrived. Total cost: $0 (not counting the gas, lodging and food for yourself, which will be there either way)

Oh, and btw, I bought my trailer off of Craigslist.

5. Dookter

Dookter Senior Member

Some people pay one of those companies that drops off the thing in your yard that you load and they ship it for you. Some people even ship their cars to keep from driving cross country. I only moved like 12 hours away, so I did the uhaul thing. I would have done the uhaul thing either way probably, but I have a lot of stuff. It is expensive, but you sort of have to move your things, so it's a necessity.

6. C.P. Jones

C.P. Jones Catface Majigger

If I moved from CT to Omaha (Creighton), I would drive there and buy new furniture

edit: and I don't have a lot of stuff, so buying new furniture would be best for me

7. randomapplicant

I should never have put "Unicorn" as a poll option.

8. notdeadyet

notdeadyet Still in California

Attending Physician
    Uh... where's the option for "movers"?

If you actually have an apartment and are moving furniture and whatnot, I found professional movers to be cheaper than renting a U-Haul/Pemske and driving myself.

9. soco

Pre-Medical
    I would pair up with someone that wants to be where you are and you where they are. Screw moving anything, just switch stuff then all you have to do is drive over to the new spot. Hopefully, you wear the same size.

10. munnabhai

munnabhai Junior Member

Pre-Medical
    The twitch in my right leg went away when I chose "unicorn."
    thank you lol

11. lilnoelle

Moderator Emeritus

Resident [Any Field]
    I would probably get a UHaul and move it all. It depends a little bit on the value of your stuff. If I were straight out of college, I probably would have left most of my junk with my parents and bring as much possible in my car - knowing my parents, they'd help me pack and even drive with me to help me move in. Then I'd buy everything else I need. Now that I own furniture and some goodies I'm sure it would be cheaper for me to use U-haul than to buy it new.

The next time I will move will hopefully be after residency, in which case I will definitely sell it all and buy new.

12. postbacker

postbacker Banned
    Banned

Non-Student
    U Haul truck? Better check that price - it costs more than $1k for cross country truck rental...trailer maybe, not a truck...just checked and a very small truck has a base price of $1200 for one week, one way, cross country, so it is cheaper than I thought...

13. sendwich

sendwich you rock!

it depends on where i end up. michigan is a driving city, so i'll probably cram most of my belongings in the car, or attache a uhaul in the back to include bigger stuff like furniture. but if i get lucky with a certain east coast school (where bringing a car isn't too wise), i'll probably bring some clothes, but taht's it.

14. EntBizGuy

Pre-Medical
    I'm selling some stuff, donating lots of clothes, shipping books back to my parents' house, and then driving the rest of my stuff from L.A. to the east coast in a month-long odyssey.

15. Ladyfingers

Medical Student
    I am about to get married and now move from southern California to Ohio (yay! Ohio State!). We have a lot of crap and although we will be getting rid of a lot of it, I think it would be smarter for us to just rent a truck or trailer and drive. Too bad the unicorn won't work.

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. randomapplicant

Though there are millions who want to be where I am (you included), but I wear a size fabulous, so I doubt I'll be able to find that special someone.

18. Critical Mass

Medical Student
    Yeah I actually prefer the magic carpet. Sometimes my unicorn is distracted by other unicorns and wants to try to make new unicorns while I'm aboard. If you don't let your unicorn complete his mission, he'll get upset and stop flying. Then you show up late for school, etc. and have to explain why your wife has unicorn spooge on her leg. It's really a pain to deal with.

19. armybound

armybound future urologist.
    Physician Moderator Emeritus

Resident [Any Field]
    I'm sure not running. Those cross country runners are nuts.

20. Cirrus83

Cirrus83 Too old for this

Attending Physician
    I'm not going to have to move cross country, but I might end up having to do an 8 hour trek...I don't even know what I'm going to do yet...the thought alone of having to spend money to buy all this new furniture is giving me a headache.

My roommate took our couch last time (when we stopped living together) so that was the biggest piece of furniture we had at the time, but I guess I'll need a new bed and dressers and whatnot.

21. Doctor~Detroit

Doctor~Detroit this poll sux!!!

^^^ how dare you trick me into clicking on an alanis morissette video. how dare you. :barf:

i thought it was going to be about some dude playing a butt grab game with a hot mama.

22. Depakote

Depakote Pediatric Anesthesiologist
    Rocket Scientist Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved

Attending Physician
    I'm getting one of those PODs, packing most of my stuff in it, sending that and driving the rest of my stuff in my car.
    [​IMG]
    also. unicorns.

[​IMG]

23. psipsina

psipsina Senior Member

Medical Student
    If you don't already have alot of stuff I suggest looking into furnished/semi furnished apartments. I lost everything to Katrina the year before I started and originally I was planning on buying a whole new apartment full of furniture when I got back down here, but by chance I found a furnished apartment. Its awesome because I didn't have to shell out the dough for big furniture when I got down here and when I move again in four years for residency I won't have to get a truck then either. I don't know how many of these are out there but it might be worth it if you find one with a good price.