How are you guys doing with DAT Destroyer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jongho Yoon

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have done about 100 questions on each science section. I started Destroyer after reviewing Kaplan BB for 2-4 times (front to back). I counted up the questions I got right and wrong, and it looks like I am getting about 40% right for Ochem, 60% for Chem, about 50-60% for Bio.

I have been working on Destroyer (review all the solutions) as well as reviewing Kaplan BB + wikipedia.

I am getting better as I tackle questions on Destroyer, but I am now wondering if I should focus on reviewing Kaplan BB and set aside destroyer for a bit.

Getting 50% right on Destroyer, is this normal? What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

If you have a good science background (e.g. Bio major) then I would focus on destroyer. Destroyer provides really good explanations for learning problems. I personally started off reviewing Kaplan first week, then I went straight for destroyer.

I have done about 100 questions on each science section. I started Destroyer after reviewing Kaplan BB for 2-4 times (front to back). I counted up the questions I got right and wrong, and it looks like I am getting about 40% right for Ochem, 60% for Chem, about 50-60% for Bio.

I have been working on Destroyer (review all the solutions) as well as reviewing Kaplan BB + wikipedia.

I am getting better as I tackle questions on Destroyer, but I am now wondering if I should focus on reviewing Kaplan BB and set aside destroyer for a bit.

Getting 50% right on Destroyer, is this normal? What do you guys think?

Destroyer is an excellent source, and it's also good at picking out your weak points. Whenever you don't understand a Destroyer question, pick up your text book and read everything related to that question.

When I was going through Destroyer math, I noticed myself getting a bunch of questions wrong. I then went to the library, got 5 math text books, and read all of them in a span of 2+ weeks. Then I went back to destroyer and understood everything. This method of studying might work best for you.

That's normal.
To get a 100% on the DAT you don't need to be doing well on Destroyer.
You should be getting nearly all ochem questions right because they are easy and just require memorization really.
Gchem is a bit repetitive but again should be easy. Some gchem questions were completely ridiculous and would NEVER be on the real DAT. Same thing with bio.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's normal.
To get a 100% on the DAT you don't need to be doing well on Destroyer.
You should be getting nearly all ochem questions right because they are easy and just require memorization really.
Gchem is a bit repetitive but again should be easy. Some gchem questions were completely ridiculous and would NEVER be on the real DAT. Same thing with bio.

I thought the ochem questions on Destroyer were mighty stupid. All the questions on Destroyer ochem are exceptions to the rules. During my DAT, everything dealt with major concepts, and I don't think I got any exceptions to the rules. I think I was getting like 1/3 to 1/2 correct on destroyer ochem, so after 50 questions I was like "f this" and moved to the next section.

I thought bio and chem were very good. and Destroyer QR is very similar to the real DAT.

In destroyer gchem i remember there being a lot of calculations, on the real DAT you barely have to do these calculations, you only have to set up the problem like answer choices will be in the format X*(Y/Z)*(Q/R) , etc

It's a great thing to know the exceptions to the rules so you don't get tricked on it for the real exam. Although your exam might have not had any tricks, another exam might have questions. There's nothing wrong with knowing more information, the more the better preparation for the exam. I think you should be fine, just keep doing practice problems and understand how the problems are done. Good luck.

It's a great thing to know the exceptions to the rules so you don't get tricked on it for the real exam. Although your exam might have not had any tricks, another exam might have questions. There's nothing wrong with knowing more information, the more the better preparation for the exam. I think you should be fine, just keep doing practice problems and understand how the problems are done. Good luck.

I think there is a lot wrong with knowing more information. the fact that you only have so much time to study, you need to concentrate your efforts towards the high-yield concepts - not the random **** that is likely not to appear or if it does appear, only have 1 question on it. That is what makes Kaplan so great.

And that's why so many people do crummy right?

Try to remember the destroyer questions because I am almost certain the author creates questions based on students remembering actual test questions..