How are you (if at all) gaining clinical experience right now?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctoscope

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I found a couple of solid nonclinical volunteering opportunities, and I'm grateful for that. But, when it comes to clinical, I'm getting zilch. Every hospice/hospital/clinic isn't accepting any volunteer applications right now (and quite frankly, makes sense), and I don't know where else to look.

From what avenues are you guys gaining your clinical experience right now? Is it paid clinical employment?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, mine is paid clinical. I think for legal issues only employees are working in a clinical setting now. Don't quote me on this, it is just my best guess.

I found a couple of solid nonclinical volunteering opportunities, and I'm grateful for that. But, when it comes to clinical, I'm getting zilch. Every hospice/hospital/clinic isn't accepting any volunteer applications right now (and quite frankly, makes sense), and I don't know where else to look.

From what avenues are you guys gaining your clinical experience right now? Is it paid clinical employment?

In my state, there's really no in-person clinical volunteering opportunities. Some hospice opportunities are doing virtual work (calling hospice patients and checking in on them, sending cards). For clinical employment, I went on indeed every single day and looked at job postings and applied to anything I somewhat qualified for (scribing, lab positions, phlebotomy, any sort of aide positions), which landed me my current job in mid-April.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I'm doing paid clinical too. send your resume/ cover letter out everywhere. try to get some advice on optimizing it too

I’m also doing a paid clinical position, since my volunteering was suspended. I have zero certifications/prior experience (other than working in disability services), so I applied to around 50 jobs before I finally got one.

Scribing seems to be still doable.

For the folks doing paid clinical - are you still in school full-time as well?

my clinical volunteering went virtual, we still get patient interaction but probably worth less now

Yes. I only work 24 hours a week at my clinical job though, so I have time for coursework/volunteering/researching/tutoring
How are you able to manage all of that and still have time to browse SDN? I would love to learn your time-management skills

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
How are you able to manage all of that and still have time to browse SDN? I would love to learn your time-management skills

With grit. And with focus. I used to be one of those people who would spend the whole day “studying” when I was actually checking my phone intermittently and not getting anywhere. Now when I’m on, I’m on (unless I can multitask effectively).

Reactions: 1 users