How are you protecting yourself on social media?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BadBunny

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
I recently found out a very influential doctor I follow and look up to (Jay Feldman) was kicked out of his residency for controversial posts on his twitter account. The cancel culture is so strong now people will pull up something you posted 10 years ago to implicate you. So I want to protect my self from my past posts and future posts or comments on social media as much as possible. Here’s how I’m doing it

1. maximum privacy possible on Facebook and instagram

2.I’m not using my real name. I’m using fictional character names like Donald Duck, Micky Mouse, Spongebob Squarepants etc. Also, don’t list the school you go to on your profile

Members don't see this ad.

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 user
I recently found out a very influential doctor I follow and look up to (Jay Feldman) was kicked out of his residency for controversial posts on his twitter account. The cancel culture is so strong now people will pull up something you posted 10 years ago to implicate you. So I want to protect my self from my past posts and future posts or comments on social media as much as possible. Here’s how I’m doing it

1. maximum privacy possible on Facebook and instagram

2.I’m not using my real name. I’m using fictional character names like Donald Duck, Micky Mouse, Spongebob Squarepants etc. Also, don’t list the school you go to on your profile
The best way to protect yourself is to not be on social media.

Reactions: 18 users
Don't put up anything on the internet that you don't want
1. Credited to your real name
2. Immortalized

Med schools may do a Google search before they interview you--it's not unheard of. And you don't want that Google search to pull up multiple pictures of yourself out partying, drinking, underdressed, etc. So choose your pictures and words wisely.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Easiest way is to not post dumb stuff.

If it's related to past posts, delete them/private accounts, or follow @Moko 's advice and delete the accounts

Reactions: 6 users
Stand up to cancel culture perhaps. The witch hunts are absolutely ridiculous. But yeah, self moderation is a pretty good idea too.

• Dislike
Reactions: 7 users
I recently found out a very influential doctor I follow and look up to (Jay Feldman) was kicked out of his residency for controversial posts on his twitter account. The cancel culture is so strong now people will pull up something you posted 10 years ago to implicate you.

A list of influential physicians who are worth looking up to would include names like Jenner, Semmelweis, Lister, Vesalius, and Osler.

Feldman got in trouble for a few reasons, not the least of which was his apparent penchant for inflating his credentials to peddle questionable supplements like MyRaveDoctor. Twitter dissection available here.

This isn't cancel culture. It's a profession taking necessary action to preserve its respectability.

• Love
Reactions: 19 users
A list of influential physicians who are worth looking up to would include names like Jenner, Semmelweis, Lister, Vesalius, and Osler.

Feldman got in trouble for a few reasons, not the least of which was his apparent penchant for inflating his credentials to peddle questionable supplements like MyRaveDoctor. Twitter dissection available here.

This isn't cancel culture. It's a profession taking necessary action to preserve its respectability.

I'd never heard of this before, thank you for providing the link!!

1) Privacy settings.
2) Toss old posts. Consider starting fresh with a new account if that's not possible.
3) Don't write anything you wouldn't want to defend in person. That doesn't mean live scared, but don't be ridiculous.
4) don't list your profession or employer or hospital anywhere.
5) mention medicine as little as possible. Mention patient interactions never unless it's something like "I love what I do", we're talking squeaky clean stuff.

David D MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Reactions: 2 users
Just go back and delete a bunch of your stuff. Delete all the folks you don't actually talk to. Maximize privacy settings. Your Facebook should look like your LinkedIn.

Post outlandish stuff that pisses everyone off. Wear a “crush the patriarchy” t-shirt with a MAGA hat. Show support for the NRA and gun violence victims. Support local law enforcement and antifa. Form a He Man Woman hater’s club and a MeToo club. The possibilities are endless because cancel culture itself is increasingly ridiculous. If you stand for everything, no one can actually pin any set of beliefs to you.

• Haha
  • Love
  • Dislike
Reactions: 5 users
I always find it amazing when people get in trouble for posting stuff on social media. I have never had a hard time not getting in trouble for what I post. Is it really that hard?
Without getting into politics, if you don't share what the extremely-vocal minority believes, prepare to be targeted.

Over the application cycle, I know people who were straight up doxxed based on false rumors.

• Dislike
Without getting into politics, if you don't share what the extremely-vocal minority believes, prepare to be targeted.

Over the application cycle, I know people who were straight up doxxed based on false rumors.

I mean I’ve been misquoted and attacked on Facebook for innocuous ****, but that’s different than getting kicked out of school.

Maybe my school is different, but they give you a chance to tell your side before doing anything. We just had a kid kicked out for something he posted on social media, and they definitely investigated it first.

• Wow
I mean I’ve been misquoted and attacked on Facebook for innocuous ****, but that’s different than getting kicked out of school.

Maybe my school is different, but they give you a chance to tell your side before doing anything. We just had a kid kicked out for something he posted on social media, and they definitely investigated it first.

do you know what was posted & do you think it warranted being removed from school

Don't be on social media as @Moko said but be on sites which allow anonymous screen names (like SDN, Reddit, news sites) if you really want to discuss anything that has potential to be controversial, which is pretty much everything now a days.

Don't put up anything on the internet that you don't want
1. Credited to your real name
2. Immortalized

Med schools may do a Google search before they interview you--it's not unheard of. And you don't want that Google search to pull up multiple pictures of yourself out partying, drinking, underdressed, etc. So choose your pictures and words wisely.
Agree with this, plus:
3. Taken out of context and used against you. (For example, sarcasm doesn't play well in this regard.)

Reactions: 1 users
stayathomemom said:
Agree with this, plus:
3. Taken out of context and used against you. (For example, sarcasm doesn't play well in this regard.)
Yea it can be difficult to read & understand sarcasm on the internetz

Post outlandish stuff that pisses everyone off. Wear a “crush the patriarchy” t-shirt with a MAGA hat. Show support for the NRA and gun violence victims. Support local law enforcement and antifa. Form a He Man Woman hater’s club and a MeToo club. The possibilities are endless because cancel culture itself is increasingly ridiculous. If you stand for everything, no one can actually pin any set of beliefs to you.

I’m very pro police and pro all lives matter. After George Floyd’s death, I made a series of tweets criticizing BLM for encouraging violence and looting. After feeling scared, I deleted those tweets and said I support justice for George Floyd and used the hash tag blm to try to cover my but. (I support justice for sure, just not blm). I’m also a registered democrat by the way.

• Haha
  • Okay...
Reactions: 5 users
Denouncing looting and violence isn’t grounds for cancellation. The safe thing would just to denounce that without mentioning BLM, as it’s supporters encompass a variety of people. That being said, I don’t find myself the least bit sympathetic to the demands of the heads of the movement. It’s such a weird, decentralized structure. The demands (as per the organization website) are so ridiculous that they won’t ever be realized on a more than local level in some left wing crazy areas like Berkeley and Seattle. CHOP/CHAZ was evidence enough of the stupidity of the woke movement taken to its logical conclusion.

I think (or hope) that we’ll see some sort of course correction away from SJW activism and have real discussions again about social issues without victim, oppressed, and race cards constantly being played. And I’m really not discounting racial injustices that have occurred in this country for much of our history and the lasting legacy of them, but get off the moral high horse and let’s hash it out like adults. At the heart of cancel culture warriors is resentment, desire for domination, and utter contempt for those that don’t buy into identity politics and victimology.

Cue the thumbs down and inappropriate reactions from whom this post offends.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.