1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Visit this thread to beta-test StudySchedule.org. StudySchedule is a free nonprofit site that builds dynamic MCAT study schedules unique for your needs and timeline.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Check out the new Application Assistant, where you can calculate your LizzyM score, see how you rank compared to other applicants, and see a list of schools where similar students were accepted.

How are you studying for the Biology section of MCAT?

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by makingthejump, 09.26.14.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. makingthejump

makingthejump

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    I have been seeing that the Biology section on the MCAT is more passage based and ability to interpret graphs and charts. Keeping this trend in mind, how are you efficiently and effectively doing Biology content review?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Aerus

Aerus Elemental Alchemist 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    hSDN
    hSDN
    Alumni
    You mean experimental based, not passage based, since everything that isn't a discrete is passage based. I highly recommend doing all the passages in the TPRHL Science Workbook. There are quite a few experimental passages that are great practice (especially some of their advanced passages).

4. itsthat1guy

itsthat1guy Not that other guy 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Berkeley Review is great for bio, very experimental

5. fatimany

fatimany

Agreed. I used Berkeley Review and PR Hyperlearning together.

6. itsthat1guy

itsthat1guy Not that other guy 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Same, both are great resources but TBR is definitely harder for bio IMO

7. stitchattack

stitchattack

Pre-Medical
    Take the SA Biology first then work on your practice. Between TBR and TPR, I prefer TPR..it's more similar to AAMC IMO. TBR is just really hard and rely on more information than you would need. When I do the AAMC Bio stuff, it's mainly 30% content knowledge and 70% extrapolation from the passage.

8. NextStepTutor_1

NextStepTutor_1 Next Step MCAT Tutor Exhibitor 2+ Year Member

SDN
    Exhibitor
    TBR bio can be great practice at times, but there are more than a couple passages that seem too intense (and not just in a good practice sort of way, but in a recurring "this is too nit-picky" sort of way).

I'll follow suit with most of the posters above me and recommend TPR science workbook. Great amount of practice, great quality!

Check out our page:
    http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forums/next-step-mcat-tutor-office-hours.970/

Cheers!!

About the ads