How are you studying for the PCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UH Pharm

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So guys I have about a month and 4 weeks to study for the pcat. (Mines in August) I kind of started to study but am hopping around everywhere. Its not consistent.

For example I would study 3 hours on chemistry take a break and then after study math for another two hours. But I feel the INFORMATION IS NOT RETAINING IN MY HEAD! Should I dedicate a day for each subject. Like study chem all one day then boi the next, etc.

So far these are the materials that I have:

Dr Collins self study kit
Barrons pcat
Cliffs 5 practice test
Mcgraw Hill Pcat Book
Kaplan Book Not Studying This (I don't like this book its to complicated, and the questions require you to use a calculator. I know the pcat doesn't allow calculators
Schaums College algebra/ general, organic, biological chemistry
2 practice test from hartcourt (plan on taking the first test in july)
and finally..... my class notes.

I know I went overboard with the study guides, but I want the best possible score on the pcat. I feel so overwhelmed!!!:eek:

Feel free to comment on any of the books that you guys thought helped you. Yeah I combined these list from lurking around the SDN forum, thanks to you guys but now I have to many options.

Where do I start?

Members don't see this ad.

You want to narrow down your study guides to just 2 or 3 primary ones. Once you get through those then choose your secondary study guides. You won't feel so overwhlemed then.

Also ...try and dedicate each week or two to just one subject....don't juggle more than one subject in a day. I think Kaplan or some guide talks about that....I suggest you read through it.

I have been studying the Kaplan text, and I also have a copy of the Examkrackers MCAT inorganic and organic chemistry texts. These have been helpful in reviewing the chemistry section. The calculus in the Kaplan book is horrible, so if you have a calc book, I would glance through the first parts (ones that would cover Calc I).

I haven't had Org. Chemistry yet, but I figured that I would just memorize the basic nomenclature and structure. That should be enough for me to decipher the answers. (We'll see).

The Kaplan Bio section is pretty good, just loooooong. (and boring). :)

I also ordered the 2 pearson practice tests. I have taken one of them already and reviewed everything that I got wrong, and made sure that I knew what I did wrong. I am taking the other one tonight (to prep. for tomorrow's test)

Not sure how much this will help you, but that's what I am doing.

I have been studying the Kaplan text, and I also have a copy of the Examkrackers MCAT inorganic and organic chemistry texts. These have been helpful in reviewing the chemistry section. The calculus in the Kaplan book is horrible, so if you have a calc book, I would glance through the first parts (ones that would cover Calc I).

I haven't had Org. Chemistry yet, but I figured that I would just memorize the basic nomenclature and structure. That should be enough for me to decipher the answers. (We'll see).

The Kaplan Bio section is pretty good, just loooooong. (and boring). :)

I also ordered the 2 pearson practice tests. I have taken one of them already and reviewed everything that I got wrong, and made sure that I knew what I did wrong. I am taking the other one tonight (to prep. for tomorrow's test)

Not sure how much this will help you, but that's what I am doing.

If you don't mind saying, are the pearson tests similar to Kaplan's or Dr.collin's practice exam? Thank you

If you don't mind saying, are the pearson tests similar to Kaplan's or Dr.collin's practice exam? Thank you

I haven't seen the Dr. Collin's exam, but I can tell you that the Kaplan exams are pretty difficult. You almost need a calculator to do some of the Gen. Chem equations in the Kaplan.

The Kaplan essay plan is pretty good though. And the Bio section is good.