How are you writing your secondary essay?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cee

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i know this sounds stupid, but i was wondering how you all are approaching this secondary essay.. i know, there's the obvious mention of why osteopathic medicine fits you and all, and i know that the rest is probably ass-kissing of the school itself- however, is there a specific literary structure that i should follow? i ask this because it took me nearly 2 months of nonstop writing and deleting at the library 5-6 days as week for my personal statement and am wondering if it should take that long for my secondary as well. for my personal statement, i researched literary devices and used an "echo effect" in which i reverted back to a reference from my 1st paragraph in my closing statement (stuff like that).. will that stuff be necessary, or is this more freestyle?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure if I'm anymore knowledgable than you in this but my essays are basically a collection of stories. I'm leaving it up to them to take what they want from the stories.

miasapearl said:
I'm not sure if I'm anymore knowledgable than you in this but my essays are basically a collection of stories. I'm leaving it up to them to take what they want from the stories.

ya, but are you structuring your essays a certain way, or is it free like writing an article for a newspaper/magazine?

Members don't see this ad :)
cee said:
ya, but are you structuring your essays a certain way, or is it free like writing an article for a newspaper/magazine?

I don't believe that mine is structured.

You should probably right an academic argument (i.e. I will add to the educational environment of the school) and support it in your essay, and then say why it is important. Do that in every paragraph just like you have done since high school.

Someone suggested writing stories... I personally would not want to leave anything open for interpretation. The people reading these essays may interpret them differently than you may want or may be so fatigued from reading essays that they cannot pull out your message from a story.

I am a sophomore in college and a science major, so take my essay suggestions with a grain of salt.

cee said:
it's "write", not "right" ;)

oops! There goes my godlike perfection. *Please note sarcasm*

I tackled it this way (who knows if it is "write" or wrong):

for pretty much all the schools that asked for an essay on the secondary, I have a 3 paragraph part that is only loosely connected together describing my exposure to osteopathic medicine. Then I have one last paragraph detailing the schools specifics and that could be it's location, it's mission, etc. I visited one school in person and wrote about my visit there, but for the other schools I'm afraid I wasn't too convincing about why I want to attend that school specifically. I mean I am sure they are all great schools if they are accredited. That is my method and if you think that will work for you then best of luck!

TerpDO said:
I tackled it this way (who knows if it is "write" or wrong):

Wow, I make a typo and the whole world is against me. You are welcomed?

):( said:
Wow, I make a typo and the whole world is against me. You are welcomed?

haha, i'm so sorry. I didn't mean any personal offense, just going with the flow of the thread, i'm such an ass :oops: