Nov 26, 2013
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Hello everyone.

I apologize for another "sob story," but I am in need of some feedback.

I am on my 4th year of community college (yes, I know... I'm not too happy about it either), and I am currently in the process of transferring to UC Irvine as a Chemistry major for the Fall 2014 term. I aimlessly took classes at CC for a few years before deciding to go through with pharmacy, which is why I have only finished General Chem, Calculus I-II, and statistics. My General Education is completed, along with the required English and Speech classes. I will be taking Microbiology and Calculus III for my next (and last) semester at CC. Unfortunately, I was unable to register for other pharm. required classes since those classes are full.

I am missing a lot of pharmacy requirements, depending on which school we're looking at, but I was just wondering: how manageable and is it possible for me to be complete my upper division courses while finishing my missing pharmacy requirements (anatomy, physiology, ochem, etc)?

No need to hold back, please be honest and upfront with me about my progress and likely future.

Thank you for your time!

cuddlefish78

5+ Year Member
Jan 27, 2013
Status
Pharmacy Student
Just finish your degree over the next two years. Some schools have very long lists of prereqs

blueheron

Chemist
Sep 4, 2013
Knoxville
Status
Pharmacy Student
Agreed. A chemistry degree will be invaluable to you. And besides that, from what I gather once you've had PChem, pharmacokinetics seems like a joke.

OP
D
Nov 26, 2013
Status
Thanks for the replies, cuddlefish78 and blueheron. I guess I'm in a bit of a rush since I see many people applying to Pharmacy school once they receive their bachelor's. I've been having a bit of anxiety about this because I'm far behind schedule.

Last edited:
OP
D
Nov 26, 2013
Status
Complete your degree in pharmacy from your college. That is the main thing you need to focus more.

compounded pharmacy |
compound pharmacy los angeles
So you think I should focus on the pharm pre-reqs during my time at a 4-year institution? Or are you saying that I should focus on my chemistry major courses?

I still have a lot missing. I haven't started my Bio series, and apparently, it's a bit difficult to take Bio classes at UCI when you are a chem major. Anyone have any advice for this? Should I just get my degree first, then worry about finish the pharm pre-reqs later?

Also, does anyone know if I should get a B.A. or B.S. in chemistry?

Sorry for all the questions. I'm still trying to get everything figured out.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

Amicable Angora

Lagomorpha
5+ Year Member
Oct 5, 2012
Status
Pharmacist
Completing prereqs just takes time. If you are in this situation, you are fine.

You don't want to be in the situation where your GPA is low...