Dismiss Notice
Check out the new Application Assistant, where you can calculate your LizzyM score, see how you rank compared to other applicants, and see a list of schools where similar students were accepted.

How bad are these red flags and how to overcome them?

Discussion in 'What Are My Chances?' started by mellyrocker, 01.14.14.

1. SDN is made possible through sponsorships and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. mellyrocker

mellyrocker 2+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Hey Sdn'rs,, I'm curious... How bad would it effect someone's chances to be on academic probation for 2 semesters and have 1F, 2 D's and a couple C's and 6 W's (from a semester withdrawal) on transcript the first 1 1/2 years of undergrad due to personal traumatic experiences?

What will be needed to turn this around and prove yourself a medical leader?
    I know this sounds totally hypothetical, but what if the person was able to pull his gpa up from a <2.0 to >3.6 after spending an extra year in undergrad?
    Able to take 45+ credits a year, 2+ years research experience with publications, a solid honors thesis and valuable international internships?
    Would a stellar MCAT (40+) be able to offset the past? What about enrolling in prestigious smp or harvard extension school to prove ability to handle life situations?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Goro

Goro 5+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Verified
    Faculty
    Aceing courses is the best way to convince AdComs that you can handle medical school.

What will be needed to turn this around and prove yourself a medical leader?

There are a number of schools (ex. Tufts, Tulane, NYMC, all DO programs) that value reinvention.

I know this sounds totally hypothetical, but what if the person was able to pull his gpa up from a <2.0 to >3.6 after spending an extra year in undergrad?

That's a really intensive course load. Can you really do it? Do NOT engage in magic thinking!

Able to take 45+ credits a year, 2+ years research experience with publications, a solid honors thesis and valuable international internships?

Yes, IF combined with a good GPA. A 45 MCAT will not rescue a 3.0 GPA for MD programs. A 40 MD is in the >99.8th %ile, so please be realistic.

Would a stellar MCAT (40+) be able to offset the past?

That would be the next step, if a UG performance wasn't good enough.

What about enrolling in prestigious smp or harvard extension school to prove ability to handle life situations?[/quote]

Last edited: 04.12.14
    DermViser, mellyrocker and LizzyM like this.

About the ads