How bad does CC hurt you when combined with Major University?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ScottMontgomery

Orthopaedics
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My old CC had a premed program (for intentions of transferring into a University) All of my classes in that program were also part of MACRAOS (http://www.macrao.org/) my 2 years at the CC directly transferred into Eastern Michigan University where I am now.

I am only in the second semester at EMU (In their Pre-Med program), doing just fine with grades and such, still holding a 4.0.

My question is, when applying to med school, where my first choice will be MSU College of Osteopathic Medicine. Is the fact that I spent 2 years at the CC going to affect the view of the admissions officers? Even if I have good MCAT scores along with a good GPA and tons of extra curriculars?

I know this has been asked before, but I searched the site for a couple hours, and cannot find an answer in the context in which I am asking.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I think you should e-mail/call the school to find out. This even shows you care enough to ask them. Different schools view this differently.

However I think you already have a big advantage being in Michigan.

Like wannabe said it will vary on the school, but I personally had no problems doing the same thing. The only time it came up was in my interviews when I was asked how I thought the material at CC compared to university and if I thought it prepared me well for med school. I always simply referred to my university sGPA of 3.99 and they were fine with it. As long as you keep up your 4.0 don't sweat it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do well on the MCAT and upper level sciences at Eastern and I imagine you will be fine.

Of course you should call MSUCOM to specifically ask. They're very helpful.