How bad does this look to adcoms

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Eagleye2

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, right now I'm a sophomore and am currently taking 13 credits this semester because I decided to take 3 upper level science classes. First off, let me state that this wasn't my best idea. Genetics, microbiology and lab, and orgo 1 and lab may have been over extending myself especially since I tutor as well but whatever that's in the past. Anyway, it could end up where i would be getting a B in micro which is a 4 credit course and a B in orgo lab which is 2 credits. Looking at maybe an A- in both genetics and orgo lecture. This will in turn drag my gpa down like a boulder. do adcoms take a look at the difficulty of classes taken in the semester. Also, do adcoms look at lab grades different than lecture grades? Any comments/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks, not helping that I'm really stressed rn, any other pieces of advice would be appreciated

Members don't see this ad :)
13 credit hours really isn't that much, but those three classes sure are! I took micro, orgo 2, and physics all in the same semester, all with lab. Managed to get an A in all three, but I had literally NO life outside of school. I feel ya, good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah that was my point, hopefully schools dont just look at the credit hours and then look at the GPA without context

Some may look at your GPA in context, however many people that apply take very rigorous course loads so yours will not appear out of the normal compared to most people. Now something like 23 hours with a lot of science classes may look out of the normal, but even then it is your decision to take those classes and doing poorly in them isn't looked at as being because of a difficult course load, but more so as being a bad decision on your part. All this being said a few B's isn't going to be that bad. If you're really paranoid get an A in orgo 2 and whatever biology classes you have left to show you understand the higher up concepts.

Take two of these stat:

upload_2016-11-7_18-54-15.jpeg

Hey guys, right now I'm a sophomore and am currently taking 13 credits this semester because I decided to take 3 upper level science classes. First off, let me state that this wasn't my best idea. Genetics, microbiology and lab, and orgo 1 and lab may have been over extending myself especially since I tutor as well but whatever that's in the past. Anyway, it could end up where i would be getting a B in micro which is a 4 credit course and a B in orgo lab which is 2 credits. Looking at maybe an A- in both genetics and orgo lecture. This will in turn drag my gpa down like a boulder. do adcoms take a look at the difficulty of classes taken in the semester. Also, do adcoms look at lab grades different than lecture grades? Any comments/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, not helping that I'm really stressed rn, any other pieces of advice would be appreciated

What more did you need? The response above you was everything you needed to know.

Course load is of medium importance. An individual with a 3.9 who takes 12 credits is in better position than the individual who took 15 credits with a 3.5. If both candidates have a 3.9, the guy with the heavier course load is in better position.