Quantcast

How bad is 124 CARS

BeMo Free Repeat™ On Us + 5 Med School Challenge
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

facingthemcat

Reaction score
I just got my MCAT score back and got a 124 in CARS (514 overall). I took a look at MSAR and it seems 95% of the schools have a 10% VR range of 8. Will schools view a 124 as an 8 or a 7? What schools will screen me out? Tyvm.

Versadth

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
You might have to rewrite, that's like a 7 on the old MCAT if it's scaled the same. Sorry to hear that :( Maybe try using EK101 practice tests if you haven't already done them, they were really useful!

facingthemcat

Reaction score
124 is much closer to an 8 than a 7. So you can treat 124 = 8. Regarding screening out, see the MSAR regarding specific schools with 10th percentile of 9.

So are you saying schools with 10% at 9 will screen me out?

GrapesofRath

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

No this is definitely false. Schools very rarely disclose what they use for screening to begin with, they have every incentive not to. 124 CARs is an 8 verbal on the old.

10th percentile MSAR stats of subsections are reflection of the applicant and matriculant tendencies and pool as much as anything. It's rare for someone with a 33+ to have an 8 subsection even though we tend to think it's alot more common than it is since we remember anecdotes of it. People dont just walk around commonly with 90th+ percentile scores but some 40-45th percentile subsection that often even if we might think so.

How each school and evaluator looks at a 124 CARs will vary pretty significantly. A 33-34 though even with an 8 Verbal is competitive by itself for many schools. That doesnt necessairly exclude schools with a 9 10th in Verbal.

Likewise it still takes time to adjust to the new subsections: the effects of a low new MCAT subsection might be different than an old one(ie perhaps automatically there is a horror at looking at a 7 to some maybe you dont quite get seeing a 123 as a complete hypothetical example). Youll be ok.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Lawpy

31 ★ The L is for Lend No Okays
7+ Year Member
SDN Ambassador
    Reaction score
    Yes, unless you have a really, really good app.

It's a good rule of thumb to keep in mind. The absolute cutoffs are anything below a 7 (so below a 123). Beyond that, it's hard to say, but looking at 10th percentiles will give some idea what to expect and where you'd stand.

Reactions: 1 user