jackal head

Registered Sex Offender
10+ Year Member
Dec 12, 2007
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
Is it worth repeating? I'm thinking my best bet is to do really well on the chemistry part of the PCAT.

Last edited:
About the Ads

jackal head

Registered Sex Offender
10+ Year Member
Dec 12, 2007
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
That's such a silly question. A B+ is really really good! You'll be fine. You don't need all A's to get into pharmacy school :)
In my situation I need a 3.8 to stand a good chance, the average accepted GPA at the school I need to get into is 3.7 (I'm international so I need to be a little better than average), with the B+ my GPA is down to a 3.59 (from a 3.64), so unless I get all As for all of next year, I won't have a shot at the 3.8 anymore.

Not to mention, chemistry is arguably the most important subject for pharmacy.

I guess retaking it wouldn't be worth it but I'm just not sure how to make up for it.

medicalCPA

Actually, it's medicalCPA, PhD now
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Mar 26, 2007
NYC, Baby!
Status
Medical Student
This question is simply ridiculous. That B+ is simply awful. Better switch to another career now; you will not be accepted to ANY pharmacy school. /sarcasm

...Even though you are an international student, your pharmacy school admission chances are the same as any American, unless the pharmacy school specifically states that it only considers US citizens and permanent residents. I am an international student, and I have NEVER seen a pharmacy school with higher admissions standards for internationals.

Why are you limiting yourself to only one school ("the school I need to get into")? You've already left one country to come to the US, and suddenly you cannot move from one state to the other WITHIN the US? It makes no sense to me, but to each his own.

FresnoPharmD

10+ Year Member
Sep 24, 2008
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
I was accepted to a pretty good program this fall and I've never scored better than a B in a chemistry lecture. Both general and organic.

I didn't get any C's either, but still, those are hard classes. B's are going to happen.

WannabePharm88

10+ Year Member
Dec 6, 2008
California
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
This question is simply ridiculous. That B+ is simply awful. Better switch to another career now; you will not be accepted to ANY pharmacy school. /sarcasm

...Even though you are an international student, your pharmacy school admission chances are the same as any American, unless the pharmacy school specifically states that it only considers US citizens and permanent residents. I am an international student, and I have NEVER seen a pharmacy school with higher admissions standards for internationals.

Why are you limiting yourself to only one school ("the school I need to get into")? You've already left one country to come to the US, and suddenly you cannot move from one state to the other WITHIN the US? It makes no sense to me, but to each his own.
My friend once told me that it's impossible to get in Pharmacy school if you're an International student.

I do have a really low GPA, and I am a sophomore.

If I get As in rest of my pre-reqs, such as Physics, Calculus, and Biology.

and get a f-ing high score on PCAT, I will have a same chances as American citizens?

Thank you.

atticus27

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Sep 22, 2008
Status
Pharmacy Student
"Great souls have wills; feeble ones have only wishes"
"When You’re Going Through Hell, Keep On Going"
"What dosen't kill you makes you stronger"
"What one can be, one must be"
"When gen chem throws you a B+, make a Douche bag thread."

WannabePharm88

10+ Year Member
Dec 6, 2008
California
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
"Great souls have wills; feeble ones have only wishes"
"When You're Going Through Hell, Keep On Going"
"What dosen't kill you makes you stronger"
"What one can be, one must be"
"When gen chem throws you a B+, make a Douche bag thread."
roftlcopter

ffpickle

Thread Killer
10+ Year Member
May 7, 2008
Status
"When gen chem throws you a B+, make a Douche bag thread"

loooooooool...........people on SDN crack me up man...

why is everyone deriding the poor guy? it is a legit question

Don't retake the class,...just work hard and do better in future classes. learn from the mistakes you made with this particular class. you will be better for it.

Also, since when are C's and B's good? I say go big or go home.....get as many As as possible.......now I have a crapload of C's and B's (more than most of you), but I can't sit here and say it doesn't bother me..B's are not "really really good" and nothing to brag about. Get As.

jackal head

Registered Sex Offender
10+ Year Member
Dec 12, 2007
Status
Pre-Pharmacy

brah, they have limited spots for internationals so they only choose the best ones, it goes without saying we have to be at a higher standard

and I haven't left my country, I commute every day to the states, if I go to a different school, then I will have to leave my country which is something that I might not be able to afford

to atticus, how much tougher would getting into pharmacy school be if they took 90% less people?

if I was like most people here, as a citizen, I'd be chilling right now

About the Ads

xscpx

10+ Year Member
Oct 21, 2008
Tampa, Florida
Status
Other Health Professions Student
Many people can only apply to one/few schools. Not all of us can simply move across the country at the drop of a hat, international student or not. That is just a silly thing to say. You don't know people's personal circumstances and therefore should not make ridiculous claims regarding them.

Sparda29

En Taro Adun
10+ Year Member
Mar 25, 2008
New York, New York
Status
Pharmacist
My friend once told me that it's impossible to get in Pharmacy school if you're an International student.

I do have a really low GPA, and I am a sophomore.

If I get As in rest of my pre-reqs, such as Physics, Calculus, and Biology.

and get a f-ing high score on PCAT, I will have a same chances as American citizens?

Thank you.

You kidding me? Touro is filled with international students.

WannabePharm88

10+ Year Member
Dec 6, 2008
California
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
You kidding me? Touro is filled with international students.
This tells me that I am so lazy at researching for Pharmacy school.

What's the ratio between International student v. Residence?

And GPA as well? (I checked on the website it was 2.75... but just to make sure)

Thank you.

Last edited:

Sparda29

En Taro Adun
10+ Year Member
Mar 25, 2008
New York, New York
Status
Pharmacist
There are 66 students in the class, and I think there are at least 5 who are international students.

Residence, meaning state of NY, I don't know about that but there are a LOT of students from California and Florida. I know of only 2 from Long Island, NY including myself. Some from New Jersey, some from Upstate, but yeah, the residence distribution is pretty evenly spread out. I know some from Texas and Michigan.

From what I see on PharmCAS, they want the Overall GPA and Math/Science GPA to be at 2.75 in order to be considered. And the lowest prerequisite grade that they allow is a C.

PCAT, I'm not sure about because there were transmission errors from Harcourt Assessment during the application process for the 2008 class.

PistonFan531

10+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2008
Status
Pharmacist
What do you think is the main reason why you didn't get an A/A- jackalhead? Was the final hard?

jackal head

Registered Sex Offender
10+ Year Member
Dec 12, 2007
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
What do you think is the main reason why you didn't get an A/A- jackalhead? Was the final hard?
It was a fair class, the final wasn't too hard, no suprises. I just didn't know how to study for it and should have realized early on what worked and what didn't (ie the online homework/quizzes which took hours to do, never prepared me for the tests).

RxWildcat

Julius Randle BEASTMODE!
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 25, 2008
Status
Pharmacist
A B+ is 100% OK, you can't really think its that bad can you?

GlamDoc

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 23, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical

Last edited:

Sparda29

En Taro Adun
10+ Year Member
Mar 25, 2008
New York, New York
Status
Pharmacist
Hi!

Listen, I'm in the middle of my soph year, and this past semester I retook Gen Chem. I don't know why I was so delusional, seeing that I actually got a B the first time around. I ended up having so many other science courses on my schedule, I didn't have nearly enough time to devote to a retake, and lo and behold, I got a B+.

Like everyone else on this thread said, DON'T RETAKE! I've just got personal experience to back it up. ;)

Good luck!
Don't retake anything unless its below a C.

Spring 2007, I retook Gen Chem I/II, which I had C+ in both classes. I was also taking Organic Chem I, and Physics.

I ended up with a B+ in Gen Chem I, dropped Gen Chem II, D in Organic Chem I, and C+ in Physics. Holy crap, that was a nightmare.

Because I didn't take my literature requirement that semester, I had to take it in the Summer along with Organic Chem II. Bad idea. I ended up with an A- in Literature and a F in Organic Chem II. The literature class just took too much time, even though I was recycling papers.

pharmboy316

10+ Year Member
Aug 6, 2008
West Kansas
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
"When gen chem throws you a B+, make a Douche bag thread"

loooooooool...........people on SDN crack me up man...

why is everyone deriding the poor guy? it is a legit question

Don't retake the class,...just work hard and do better in future classes. learn from the mistakes you made with this particular class. you will be better for it.

Also, since when are C's and B's good? I say go big or go home.....get as many As as possible.......now I have a crapload of C's and B's (more than most of you), but I can't sit here and say it doesn't bother me..B's are not "really really good" and nothing to brag about. Get As.

Because that's a idiotic question derive from paranoia with no logic. Do you really think getting an A from a B+ would really sky rocket your GPA and make an impression on the admission committee? Why don't you just focus on getting more experience in pharmacy and take the time to grow a little wiser. Not getting into a pharmacy school is not the end of the world.

About the Ads