How bad is a "W"?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amillett

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I started out premed with a music minor. My first semester I was in three musical groups which proved to be too much and I dropped one after the drop deadline. I've heard that you want to stay away from W's but since this was a one credit irrelevant music class that wasn't going to really hurt my gpa, are they actually going to care?

Members don't see this ad.

Should not matter too much. Some schools provide spaces where you can explain any deviations in your education. I had 1 W b/c my clarinet instructor rescheduled me from 4:00 pm to 9:30 pm at night and I wasn't comfortable with having a class that late. Nobody has really asked me about it either, but they do like hearing about my experience with music!

Reactions: 1 user
Nobody will care: it's a one credit class, irrelevant to pre-med curriculum, happened your first semester of college.

Shouldn't be a biggie. I graduated with a good GPA and I have a W. A single one won't make or break your app, but how you do in your classes will.

Also, make sure there's a good reason, not just you didn't feel like doing the work.