Gauss44

5+ Year Member
Oct 28, 2012
Status
Pre-Medical
I've heard that one's application should be complete by Sept. 4th, but have an instructor who wants to discuss potential LoR writing in late August. How would you handle that? That instructor has a reputation for being tough and is not someone I'm super close with.

Sarahka74

2+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2015
I would like to know this as well. If everything else is complete (primary and secondary app) and LOR's aren't in until early October, how bad is this?

realitysickness

2+ Year Member
May 10, 2015
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
I would like to know this as well. If everything else is complete (primary and secondary app) and LOR's aren't in until early October, how bad is this?
From what I understand applications are not reviewed until the entire file is complete which includes LORs. So I imagine you would be considered a late applicant. The SDN Adcoms can probably speak to this better than I can though

gonnif

Only 512 Days Until Next Presidential Election
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
I've heard that one's application should be complete by Sept. 4th, but have an instructor who wants to discuss potential LoR writing in late August. How would you handle that? That instructor has a reputation for being tough and is not someone I'm super close with.
This is a binary question : are you complete or not? If not, most schools won't spend time and resources to begin evaluation until you are. In some places, your place in the evaluation queue depends on when you are complete, so you will at the end of the line. Since there are a finite number of interview slots, this can put you behind.

Having said all that, having letters coming in September is common. And the ROT (rule of thumb) is that complete by Labor Day is early/ontime for even the most competitive programs. Complete in mid/late September for most solid candidates at most programs is ontime at most programs. After October 1st, you start running into potential impacts of time, which varies widely by candidate and school. So, be early

Reactions: realitysickness

Sarahka74

2+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2015
This is a binary question : are you complete or not? If not, most schools won't spend time and resources to begin evaluation until you are. In some places, your place in the evaluation queue depends on when you are complete, so you will at the end of the line. Since there are a finite number of interview slots, this can put you behind.

Having said all that, having letters coming in September is common. And the ROT (rule of thumb) is that complete by Labor Day is early/ontime for even the most competitive programs. Complete in mid/late September for most solid candidates at most programs is ontime at most programs. After October 1st, you start running into potential impacts of time, which varies widely by candidate and school. So, be early
Thank you for your response!
I believe most schools don't consider you complete until all your LORs are in, correct? If that is the case, then I am not. If it isn't the case, then I am.

gonnif

Only 512 Days Until Next Presidential Election
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
Thank you for your response!
I believe most schools don't consider you complete until all your LORs are in, correct? If that is the case, then I am not. If it isn't the case, then I am.
I will rephrase your question.
Will some schools evaluate you prior to all LORs are in? Some may, but most will not.
Will some schools invite you to interview prior to all LORs. There may be handful that might, but the vast majority will not.