How bad is it that I've changed my major 3x already

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

StayingFocused

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I came in undecided but took all the typical pre-med classes just in case and loved my courses.

Then I declared "Biology and Psychology" but switched to B.S in Biology and B.A in Chemistry and now I want to switch to B.S in Biochemistry. My school JUST made this major possible and that's what I really want!! For real, this time i will be a junior next year.

How bad does this look? I am going from easier majors to more difficult ones..

Members don't see this ad.

From what I understand, adcoms don't give a hoot about majors. Do your pre-reqs and graduate. Take challenging classes and do well.

Medical schools will know you did this how? Anyways they won't care as long as you did well in your classes.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not sure if this looks good/bad to adcoms but I'm in a similar boat. I started in education, went to nursing, then finally went to bio/pre-med. It seems in your case that at least the classes are relatively transferable. I'm also curious if this has any bearing on adcom impressions...

It won't have an effect at all. Do what you like, and if that takes switching, that is just fine.

You look like megan fox -- as far as the world is concerned: you can do no evil.

On another note, I changed my major over 5 times during undergrad. I don't see why this would matter - interests change during this time of life.

I look just as much like Megan Fox as you look like Ronald Regan.

Yayyy for being indecisive ;)

Lolz, pretty bad since your forum name is "StayingFocused".

I came in undecided but took all the typical pre-med classes just in case and loved my courses.

Then I declared "Biology and Psychology" but switched to B.S in Biology and B.A in Chemistry and now I want to switch to B.S in Biochemistry. My school JUST made this major possible and that's what I really want!! For real, this time i will be a junior next year.

doesn't seem very focused..

Youve changed from one science major to another, it is not like you went from history to architecture to science. Even then it wouldnt matter much as long as you ended up doing what you really want to do. Dont worry about it.

I don't have any advice on how it's going to look, but if you're interested in it then do it. I love biochemistry so I'd say go for it. Plus, I hear it's useful for when they give you about 4 weeks to cover the whole subject in med school.

Wait, a BA in Chemistry? How does that work? At my school, you have to get a BS unless chemistry is your secondary major and your primary major is a BA. I'm confused. (Also, I don't know a school in the US that lets you get two kinds of degrees at once. You'd have to post-bac one of them. I think you mean you're getting a BS in Biology and Chemistry, because if you SERIOUSLY think you're getting a BS and a BA at the same time, you're in for a nasty surprise come graduation.)

Most of us have probably changed majors once or twice. I have. Most everyone I know has. It's more common than you think.

I think you should worry more about how spazzy you are come application and interview time than whether they'll think less of you for changing majors. I mean, GOD. You want to retake a class you got a B in to bump your 3.9X gpa back up to a 4.0. You think your professor is stalking you/likes you/has feelings for you that are going to get in the way of you getting a good rec letter (???????). You make a big deal out of changing majors.

I vote you calm down a little bit and stop super-analyzing everything you do from a 'what will the adcoms think??'-point of view. Just do things because you want to! If you're doing it for someone you don't know and who you aren't helping by doing so, you're doing it for the wrong reasons. If you do everything so the adcoms will look at you favorably, you ARE the gunner premed everyone hates. And I don't think you want to be that person.

Cheers! :thumbup:

Last edited:
I don't think there's anything wrong with it - as long as you end up with the major that you're really happy with. I went from Psych to Art to English in my first 2 years of college. Sometimes you have to try out the classes to see if the major is a good fit, and if it's not, then I think it's better to switch and find something you enjoy rather than stay in a major that you're unhappy with. I settled on English, and then in my senior year decided to double-major with German and ended up loading my last year with the German major requirements - it looks last minute, but it's something I wanted to do and no one has told me that it'll be reflected negatively.
Bottom line is, don't worry about it - keep searching until you find what works for you, and then when you find it, do well in your classes and it will show :)

Congrats. You're an average undergraduate student.

Wait, a BA in Chemistry? How does that work? At my school, you have to get a BS unless chemistry is your secondary major and your primary major is a BA. I'm confused. (Also, I don't know a school in the US that lets you get two kinds of degrees at once. You'd have to post-bac one of them. I think you mean you're getting a BS in Biology and Chemistry, because if you SERIOUSLY think you're getting a BS and a BA at the same time, you're in for a nasty surprise come graduation.)

Most of us have probably changed majors once or twice. I have. Most everyone I know has. It's more common than you think.

I think you should worry more about how spazzy you are come application and interview time than whether they'll think less of you for changing majors. I mean, GOD. You want to retake a class you got a B in to bump your 3.9X gpa back up to a 4.0. You think your professor is stalking you/likes you/has feelings for you that are going to get in the way of you getting a good rec letter (???????). You make a big deal out of changing majors.

I vote you calm down a little bit and stop super-analyzing everything you do from a 'what will the adcoms think??'-point of view. Just do things because you want to! If you're doing it for someone you don't know and who you aren't helping by doing so, you're doing it for the wrong reasons. If you do everything so the adcoms will look at you favorably, you ARE the gunner premed everyone hates. And I don't think you want to be that person.

Cheers! :thumbup:

If this was Yahoo Answers I would vote you as Best Answer :)

Just make sure the biochem professors aren't trying to hit on you as well....:love:

You can major in musical chairs and as long as you get A's you will be fine.
Don't worry about it.

If this was Yahoo Answers I would vote you as Best Answer :)

Length over content wins again! :laugh:

But seriously, just do something for you. If majoring in biochemistry is it, do it. If it's spontaneously rafting down the Mississippi, that's cool too. ;)