How bad is it to retake 2 classes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thisismyacct

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have to retake gen chem and I might have to retake gen chem 2. How bad is it for MD schools? I'm fine with applying to and getting into DO schools but I'm just curious. Freshman btw.

Members don't see this ad.

Why did you even attempt to take Gen Chem 2 if you didn't pass Gen Chem 1?

Why did you even attempt to take Gen Chem 2 if you didn't pass Gen Chem 1?

My school didn't offer another chem 1 class for the spring so I decided to just move on and hope for the best. To be fair I have been doing better though (but still not good enough).

Members don't see this ad :)
Inquiring minds want to know?

If you got C or better than dont retake. Move on to next course. If you got a C- or less, you need to retake as it may not be counted as fulfilling a prereq requirement

Yeah I got a D

Since you are a freshman, I'm not sure if you know this.
In general, DO schools will replace a retake grade
In general, MD schools average the two grades

So no matter which route you choose, it is in your BEST interest to get A's in a retake course. Make sure that is something you are set up to do before you shell out the money for the retake courses. Best of luck

EDIT: It may be wise to establish a relationship with the professors in these retakes. Not only will it likely benefit your success in the class (office hours, etc.), but explaining to them you are retaking the course to do your absolute best for medical school may be the foundation for a great letter of rec, as long as the substance is there.

EDIT: It may be wise to establish a relationship with the professors in these retakes. Not only will it likely benefit your success in the class (office hours, etc.), but explaining to them you are retaking the course to do your absolute best for medical school may be the foundation for a great letter of rec, as long as the substance is there

Wouldn't that make me look like one of "those" pre-meds?

Reactions: 1 user
Wouldn't that make me look like one of "those" pre-meds?
Those premeds are the ones who grade-grub for one more point when they already have a 96%. Going to office hours and establishing a relationship with the professor just makes you a responsible student. Go to your TA's office hours too! They're a severely underused resource, and not that I know from experience, but there are probably many chemistry TAs sitting in their office hours right this moment eating a danish without any students, bored out of their mind, passing the time by going on SDN instead of teaching.

Reactions: 1 user
Those premeds are the ones who grade-grub for one more point when they already have a 96%. Going to office hours and establishing a relationship with the professor just makes you a responsible student. Go to your TA's office hours too! They're a severely underused resource, and not that I know from experience, but there are probably many chemistry TAs sitting in their office hours right this moment eating a danish without any students, bored out of their mind, passing the time by going on SDN instead of teaching.

I see what you mean.

They all hit the nail on the head. There is a difference between being responsible and being cutthroat and one of "those" pre-meds.