How bad is LA Traffic (USC Students or people who live in the area)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

olivejuicee

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Well the USC interview ends approx at 3:30 p.m.
Do you all think I can make it to LAX for my flight at 4:40 p.m?

I have checked google maps and it states approx 28 minutes, which is good.. but I can never be too sure.

To all the people who are familiar with the freeways and traffic, what do you think?
and
People who interviewed at USC, did the interview end earlier/later/ or on time ?

(Yes, I could have chosen a later time but I am trying to make it back to my home state and make it to a 7pm lab :p )

THANK YOU.

UPDATE!!!!!!!
So I made my flight back home for a departing time at 6:30.. which gives me 3 hours for me to get to the airport. I wasn't planning on bringing anything with me either. Just myself in my suit and my portfolio book and yes I usually check in a day before the flight and have my ticket ready on my phone.

My question now is... Will I make TO USC BY 8:45 a.m when my I land at 6:35 a.m, which gives me about 2 hours ish. My plan is to hustle out of there very fast since I have NO luggage and get to the closest taxi I could find. Again, the USC admin told me I would be fine.. but I have never been in the area.

(Yes I could have gone the day before and stayed at a hotel BUT I am choosing NOT to stay overnight for personal reasons..)

Please help a fellow pre-dent out (8

LAST UPDATE FOR YOU PPL INTERVIEWING AT USC
- I landed at 6:30 and headed to the school at 7:10 and made it to the school an hour early! I also left the school right at 3:35 and arrived at the airport BEFORE 4 p.m..... I COULD HAVE MADE MY FLIGHT AT 4:40. The LA traffic was not a problem when going back to the airport from the school however I would say the other side of the freeway was backed up. In all, I could have made my flight back home. Again, traffic was NOT a problem going back to the airport from USC.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
There is a chance you can make it to the airport in an hour but I wouldn't count on it. Also what day of the week? Thursdays are surprisingly difficult.

Members don't see this ad :)
You won't make it in enough time. Your plane leaves at 4:40, you need to be there by 4 at the latest.

You won't make it in enough time. Your plane leaves at 4:40, you need to be there by 4 at the latest.

Thanks..
Well, the USC admin told me i would be fine to make it TO USC from LAX that morning...
My plane lands at LAX @ 6:30 am and the interview is at 8:45.. Would you say I wouldn't make it to that too?

i drove to USC from Utah so i cant really say how long it would take you to get to the airport....all i know is this...at 3:30 when I get out traffic was BAD!!!!
it took me 2 hours to drive 50 miles. I was so pumped after that interview but that traffic really killed my post interview high!!! its a great school though and im definitely still considering it.

Yup you will make it. I've lived in LA my entire life. Make sure your cab isnt late and make sure you actually do leave 3:30 sharp.

Also while in the cab, change out of your suit so you can go pass security as fast as possible.

Your flight leaves at 4:40pm???? Oh come on, don't believe anyone who tells you that you are safe with that kind of timeframe because that is DEFINITELY NOT TRUE. It takes about 30 minutes to get to the airport without traffic (make sure your cab driver takes the express/FasTrack lane on the 110, because if he/she doesn't it will definitely be longer). Then you have to give time for security, actually making it to the gate, etc.

I've done it before. I've made it to way too many flights just as they were closing the doors. I agree with the Angelino above that you do stand a *FAIR* chance of barely making it if you leave at 3:30pm, ASSUMING you've already checked in the day before, have your boarding pass printed out and in your pocket, have no check-in luggage, etc etc etc, but IMO there are just too many variables that it's not worth the stress... at least for me it wouldn't be...

Edit: Also I'm not sure how exactly you would be able to change out of your suit while in a cab as suggested above, I vote for just leaving on the shirt and slacks, squashing everything else in your bag (including your belt which will set off the detector) and making sure your shoes are easy to remove

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Your flight leaves at 4:40pm???? Oh come on, don't believe anyone who tells you that you are safe with that kind of timeframe because that is DEFINITELY NOT TRUE. It takes about 30 minutes to get to the airport without traffic (make sure your cab driver takes the express/FasTrack lane on the 110, because if he/she doesn't it will definitely be longer). Then you have to give time for security, actually making it to the gate, etc.

I've done it before. I've made it to way too many flights just as they were closing the doors. I agree with the Angelino above that you do stand a *FAIR* chance of barely making it if you leave at 3:30pm, ASSUMING you've already checked in the day before, have your boarding pass printed out and in your pocket, have no check-in luggage, etc etc etc, but IMO there are just too many variables that it's not worth the stress... at least for me it wouldn't be...

Edit: Also I'm not sure how exactly you would be able to change out of your suit while in a cab as suggested above, I vote for just leaving on the shirt and slacks, squashing everything else in your bag (including your belt which will set off the detector) and making sure your shoes are easy to remove

Will I will be safe with landing at 6:40 a.m and GETTING TO USC for my interview at 8:45?
Please let me know. Thank you so much!

Yup you will make it. I've lived in LA my entire life. Make sure your cab isnt late and make sure you actually do leave 3:30 sharp.

Also while in the cab, change out of your suit so you can go pass security as fast as possible.

I think I would have made it too.. but I decided to miss my lab class back in AZ and just go home at a later time. I will departure at 6:30 p.m now.. LOL, I am girl so I wouldn't want to change in the cab anyway :p

Will I will be safe with landing at 6:40 a.m and GETTING TO USC for my interview at 8:45?
Please let me know. Thank you so much!

Yes this is much more realistic. Assuming your flight isn't delayed (which is highly possible). This is a risk I personally would take. The other one you proposed, not so much ;)

Reactions: 1 user
Yes this is much more realistic. Assuming your flight isn't delayed (which is highly possible). This is a risk I personally would take. The other one you proposed, not so much ;)

(; ! HA, totally forget about the possibility of flight getting delayed. FML!
but THANK YOU.

With the new changes, you'll definitely get back to the airport on time!

As for getting to USC on time... you will have to move FAST. Traffic-wise you should be okay up until the 110 North, but even then that part of the path might take you 25 minutes tops. Getting to the 110... maybe 20 minutes at that hour.

Disclaimer: I've never actually had to drive that route at 7 in the morning, more like 8 in the morning.

Hello,

Well the USC interview ends approx at 3:30 p.m.
Do you all think I can make it to LAX for my flight at 4:40 p.m?

I have checked google maps and it states approx 28 minutes, which is good.. but I can never be too sure.

To all the people who are familiar with the freeways and traffic, what do you think?
and
People who interviewed at USC, did the interview end earlier/later/ or on time ?

(Yes, I could have chosen a later time but I am trying to make it back to my home state and make it to a 7pm lab :p )

THANK YOU.

UPDATE!!!!!!!
So I made my flight back home for a departing time at 6:30.. which gives me 3 hours for me to get to the airport. I wasn't planning on bringing anything with me either. Just myself in my suit and my portfolio book and yes I usually check in a day before the flight and have my ticket ready on my phone.

My question now is... Will I make TO USC BY 8:45 a.m when my I land at 6:35 a.m, which gives me about 2 hours ish. My plan is to hustle out of there very fast since I have NO luggage and get to the closest taxi I could find. Again, the USC admin told me I would be fine.. but I have never been in the area.

(Yes I could have gone the day before and stayed at a hotel BUT I am choosing NOT to stay overnight for personal reasons..)

Please help a fellow pre-dent out (8

Hi:

I interviewed at USC 6 days ago. You would have NOT been able to get to your flight on time had it been at 4:40 pm. the TSA Had a VERY long line and took more than 40 minutes just standing in line for Security check. it is preferred that you buy a pre-TSA when purchasing your flight, but now 6:30 is fine.

regarding the morning: you will be fine. Traffic will start around 7am, but 1:30 hours is more than enough to get there.
the interview finished around 3. the last part of the interview was a tour given by Dental Student.

Good Luck.

With the new changes, you'll definitely get back to the airport on time!

As for getting to USC on time... you will have to move FAST. Traffic-wise you should be okay up until the 110 North, but even then that part of the path might take you 25 minutes tops. Getting to the 110... maybe 20 minutes at that hour.

Disclaimer: I've never actually had to drive that route at 7 in the morning, more like 8 in the morning.

YES, I am gonna hustle out of there QUICK. I will be using a shuttle service to get to USC, so this person will be experienced with getting there.. but thanks for the input.. this has stressed me out so much but my flight is booked.. no looking back now. I will be updating my experience. (Interviewing on Tuesday!)

Hi:

I interviewed at USC 6 days ago. You would have NOT been able to get to your flight on time had it been at 4:40 pm. the TSA Had a VERY long line and took more than 40 minutes just standing in line for Security check. it is preferred that you buy a pre-TSA when purchasing your flight, but now 6:30 is fine.

regarding the morning: you will be fine. Traffic will start around 7am, but 1:30 hours is more than enough to get there.
the interview finished around 3. the last part of the interview was a tour given by Dental Student.

Good Luck.

Interesting! Thank you for the info! <3 Pretty excited about that interview, I hope it went well for you! (8