How bad is the lifestyle of an advanced endoscopist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RejectedMD

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've heard many things about how advanced endoscopists have worse lifestyles than general gastroenterologists. How bad is it? Like interventional cardiology bad? How often do you get called in for emergencies? hours per week? Feel free to distinguish between academic vs. private. If someone with an advanced endoscopy fellowship could chime in and tell us their day-to-day life that would be amazing!

I'm asking this question because I recently discovered this subspecialty and am really interested in it. I love GI but also love the idea of having a wide range of therapeutic capabilities and innovating endoscopic procedures. The only issue thats holding me back is the lifestyle. Could anyone care to address/assuage/confirm my concern?

Members don't see this ad.

It's really all about the practice that you join. There are certain situations and practice settings where you can be vvery happy. However there are some that work you very hard. On average the advanced endoscopist probably works longer hours that a general gastroenterologist. It is a great field to be in because of the things that you listed. There are a few emergencies the cause you to go into the hospital during the middle of the night. If I had to compare this to an interventional cardiologist, I would definitely say that the advanced endoscopist goes into the hospital at a less frequent rate