How bad of a problem is this?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

newbb

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm going to be an incoming transfer into binghamton university, starting my sophomore year. so far, i have completed biology 1 at my previous school, and i attempted bio 2 and ended up dropping it because of the professor, most of the class dropped out of the course because of the professors unfairness. however in biology 1 i had earned an A - now i feel that i'm too late in my prerequisites. i'm taking biology 2 this upcoming fall semester, and chemistry was full. so i'll have to wait till the spring semester and probably double up with physics. and start on organic chemistry in my junior year. but junior year is when everyone takes the DAT. i'm really confused. what do i do now?

Members don't see this ad.

Don't worry about it, most people take the DAT after their junior year, not during. So if you finish both Ochems by next summer, you can take the DAT then and apply for the following fall .

Go Binghamton! haha.

Anyway, I would start going to Chem I classes for the first week and then petition in (talk to the professor after the first week of class). There will be plenty of spots open after the first week since students drop out of the class very quickly. Getting into the class should be absolutley no problem this semester so don't wait until next semester to start Chem. So, double up with Bio II and Chem I this semester, take Phys I and Chem II next semester, and then take Phys II and Orgo I fall semester of your junior year and Orgo II spring semester of your junior year. Most applicants wait until the summer after their Junior year to take the DAT so finish up your prereqs and study all summer for your DAT and you will be perfectly fine!

Members don't see this ad :)
anyone else offering advice?

Hi! I go to binghamton univeristy and even though I am not a transfer, I didn't decide that I wanted to go pre-dental until early my sophmore year. I'm planning on taking the DATs during the summer after this year (I'm a jr now).
So, I started my sophmore year with nothing. To make up for this I took physics during the summer at a different school. Because physics is not on the DATs, I opted not to take it at Binghamton. It would also be ideal to take chemistry and bio at the same time if you can. Believe me, the chemistry department is amazing. The professors are all quite nice and very understanding. Sign a petition to enter the class and have a friendly chat with your teacher to improve the chances of acceptance. ALSO, my little trick is, during the first 5 days of class, people will be dropping and adding classes. What I do is... (don't laugh) I sit at the computer and refresh every once in a while and see if spots open up. Usually they do, and I snag the spot!!! I swear, I've done this for my first 4 semesters and got everything I wanted.
Binghamton is not the Joke I thought it would be. Study VERY hard and Good luck!!! :)

I go to Binghamton also.

I'm pretty sure it's easy to petition into the classes you want. Just make sure you go to class on the first day and sign those forms.

summer classes are always a great way to get caught up.